• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

3AW update

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sorry Tom, I meant the Black/Brown wire going to WL disconnected is hot with IGN ON . Of course once connected it will be earthed via the 3AW respectively the E connection...

Last edited:

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Tom
The danger of confusion is ever present.
I have been playing with antique and classic cars most of my driving life. In 1966, my first car was a 1951 Packard ( a used car, hardly a classic) and soon after that my interests turn to sports cars. I am always still amazed by what I do not know!!
Be well
Andrew

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
You will all be happy to know that this thread is resolved— done , completed and yes, my car fixed!!!!
The Norton motorcycle 3AW arrived today and once installed, my dash light came on with the turn of a key and went out as it was supposed to. It was so bright red, I cannot say for certain it was ever lighted. Surprised, too, as the lens is pretty much faded to white when not lighted.
I genuinely wish to thank all those who provided suggestions, parts, and good counsel and tolerated my ignorance. I am particularly pleased with your patience and instruction with the rudiments of Sunbeam electronics.

Thanks to you all and to the forum for making these experiences possible.
Andrew

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Andrew, you can get that ignition light back to red again... I wrote a 'fix' for this about 20 years ago on this forum, but now I can't find it.

Anyway, it's pretty simple. Remove the warning light from the dash, *gently* pry off the chrome cover for the lens. Now remove the lens and flip it over - the sun won't have faded the inner portion of the lens and it will look like new. Now carefully reinstall and re-crimp the chrome cover. Done!