• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

3.89 differential

ceecpa

Donation Time
My series 5 should have a 3.89 but it doesn't. It has a 4.22. Anyone have a 3.89 pumpkin?

Thanks.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
My series 5 should have a 3.89 but it doesn't. It has a 4.22. Anyone have a 3.89 pumpkin?

Thanks.

Be sure you specify you need the chunk with a 25 (fine) spline diff gear.

All series chunks will fit, but the SV (all late SII and on) axles are fine splined so you want to be sure you dont end up with a coarse splined chunk.

ceecpa

Donation Time
Be sure you specify you need the chunk with a 25 (fine) spline diff gear.

All series chunks will fit, but the SV (all late SII and on) axles are fine splined so you want to be sure you dont end up with a coarse splined chunk.

Thanks, I didn't know that differently-splined axles were fitted in the Series Alpine. Truly, I need the fine spline.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Thanks, I didn't know that differently-splined axles were fitted in the Series Alpine. Truly, I need the fine spline.

Its not really a huge deal to take the spider gears from your 4.22 and install them into a 3.89 chunk (I had to do just the opposite as I got a late 3.89 and installed it into my early series II).

Given a choice though, best to just get the correct one to start with.

65beam

Donation Time
differential

series 5 cars came from the factory with the 4:22 gears. i would check to make sure it is a series 5 rear.

alpine_64

Donation Time
series 5 cars came from the factory with the 4:22 gears. i would check to make sure it is a series 5 rear.

Bob,

assume you are reffering to the US spec cars, HRO cars still had 3.89 if they were non-OD.

As for the diff/axel, it is a good point to check what you actually have, over time lots of stuff gets swapped for different parts. Someone may have placed an earlier telescpic rear in it from a S3/IV or swapped a diff from another rootes car.

No idea why they sent 4.22 in non OD cars to the states.. you have long highways.. was bascially rootes were asking for the motors to get a hard life by fitting a shorter final drive.

agmason54

Donation Time
3:89 differential

Is it true that all SV rearends have 4:22 ratio wheather or not it had overdrive??According to Chris McGovern's book they were only used with OD and all else were 3:89.......
Agm

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
As noted earlier, nearly all SV's that came to the US were 4.22 ratio cars, whether they had OD or not.

In much of the rest of the world, including home market, I believe they came with 3.89 ratio diffs, however I'm not certain that is entirely true. For example, my SV, which as OD, has a 4.22... and it was purchased new in Iceland.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Approx the first 10,400 Series V's shipped to North America came with 4.22's, with or without OD. The rest came with 3.89's w/o OD, or 4.22 w/OD.

The exact cutoff VIN should be listed in the factory Parts Manual, or possibly in Sunbeam Specialties' catalog.

Keep an eye out in your locale for any derelict '69 Alpine fastbacks or the even rarer Sunbeam Arrow sedans; virtually all came with 3.89 gears. When found, these parts cars are usually very cheap.

agmason54

Donation Time
3:89

So much for my 'bible' by chris Mc Govern...I just installed a SV wire wheel rearend under a SV with factory OD.The only thing I know for sure is the donor rear end was from a non OD SV that had the later style liscense plate lights on the bumper. I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone-doing away with the steel wheels and the 4:22 in one swoop.Am I in luck?
I could find out myself but I'm being lazy this evening.
Thanks
Al

alpine_64

Donation Time
A quick break down of rear ends:

All alpines SI/II:
with O/D: 4.22
without O/D: 3.889

All S3
3.89 with OD or without

SIV:
Autos: 3.889

SV:
Home market:

USA:
Apparently 4.22 with or without O/D though some have reported cars with 3.889 in non-O/D cars.

65beam

Donation Time
differential

never asume anything with these cars unless you bought it new or have had it since it was an infant. a car with many owners could have a lot of goofy changes made over the years. i remember when i started buying parts off wrecks in scrap yards in the late 60's. i went to deercreek auto parts in williamsport ohio to buy a spare transmission and they went to the racking and pulled one off the shelf. turned out to be a junk non syncro.they sold what they had since the interchange book said it fit all series. it's better to make sure what you have.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor

Why did the US market get the 4.22 in non-OD cars? My theory is that Chrysler wanted to advertise a lower 0-60 time, since that was the ways cars were evaluated back in the day.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Micheal,
When did SII change from course to fine splined axles and why?
Agm

I'll let Michael answer the specific serial#, I dont know the exact serial# where it occurred, it is late SII though.

Why?, the fine splines look "rolled" like most modern axles splines.
The 17 splines are ground I am sure.

Very likely a cost savings, plus more splines increases strength and more importantly decreases spline wear.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Surprisingly i dont know the serial # change of the axels off the top of my head, i can have a look through the parts book if anyone wants the actual change over.

agmason54

Donation Time
3:89 pumpkin

Micheal,
I would like to know... It will save me from looking up the info and from digging a SII rear end out of the snow and tearing it down so Chuck can maybe get a differential.What's left of the car still has the VIN#.
Thanks
agm

alpine_64

Donation Time
Al,

Will look up the info tonight and post it.

As for the 3.70 from rootes NL.. are they a quiet diff, i seem to remember someone saying there were a little noisy?

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Al,

Will look up the info tonight and post it.

As for the 3.70 from rootes NL.. are they a quiet diff, i seem to remember someone saying there were a little noisy?

They are a little noisy but I've grown used to it, and frankly it may be normal - I never owned one from new so really don't know what it should sound like. The ability to cruise at 85 mph in an Alpine makes it worth it.