• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

289 ==> 302 HO Engine Swap Pointers?

ducsingle

Donation Time
I'm considering swapping in a 302 HO (roller cam) engine for my current 289.

The 289 broke some pushrods several weeks ago and will need to come out for repairs. A friend has offered me a free 302 HO engine, which has some advantages over the 289.

I've heard a 289 to 302 swap is not plug-and-play. More specifically, I was told the following:

*the 289 timing chest cover needs to be installed on the 302
*the dampener setup needs to be changed
*the flywheel pressure plate needs to be changed.

The timing chest cover is a no-brainer, but I would like to get more details about the dampener and flywheel pressure plate changes - - - and anything else a 289 ==> 302 swap requires.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The timing chest cover is a no-brainer, but I would like to get more details about the dampener and flywheel pressure plate changes - - - and anything else a 289 ==> 302 swap requires.

Is the 289 a 5 or 6 bolt? Clutch arm might be different from your setup to the 302, waterpump might want to be swapped over along with the pulley.

ducsingle

Donation Time
Is the 289 a 5 or 6 bolt?

The current 289 is a 6 bolt.

Clutch arm might be different from your setup to the 302.

What clutch arm should be used with a 302?

. . . . waterpump might want to be swapped over along with the pulley.

Now that you mention that, I recall reading the same thing somewhere. I think the reason was that the 302 water pump outlet is in a different position that is not ideal for routing a hose to the radiator?

alpine_64

Donation Time
There was an article in CAT newsletter in 2009.. i'll try and dig it up later.. think it listed the parts needed and part numbers.