• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

#21 Stetina Lightened flywheel

alpine_64

Donation Time
Holly F ....

I thought the flywheel looked familiar....
Andrew Zizzo was a young guy who bought a SV and proceeded to make many "performance" modifications to his alpine...he bought parts from pegasus racing... had pulled his 1725.. did a rather rough vizard mod iirc .. added twin sidedrafts... And did that flywheel...
I remember Jim E positing a Photoshop image of it with a saw as a ringgear ...as he expected that to be the result.....

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Todd Nordby should be able to supply some information. He bought the car and drove it for several years. Too bad Jim E never drove the car. If he did, we would have an idea of it tendency to disintegrate.
Bill

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jerry,

I finally found where I recall that flywheel from the past. I remembered the member's name but not his screen name. Apparently the discussions about the machining of the flywheel were lost with "The Great Lost Forum Database." Looking through his comments remaining in the current forum, I did note one comment stating he still had some receipts for a Todd. It's probably the same white Alpine.

At least the member's avatar is a picture of the said flywheel. IIRC, he had access to borrow CNC equipment and not a lot of machining experience. He stated he was trying for max lightening and went much farther than the sII racing guide recommendations. Commented also that the holes were a mistake, but cool. He then sold the car due to life and other interests without ever really driving the car.

Hope this helps,

Don,
Well done. That gives me significant understandings and background on the white Alpine (importantly, it may have not been driven that much). I went back and read some of Auto47's SAOCA comments. The front end work appears to have been done at a high level of expertise. I was going to use it then found the Stetina front end had been rebuilt as well. Further investigation needs to be done.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Holly F ....

I thought the flywheel looked familiar....
Andrew Zizzo was a young guy who bought a SV and proceeded to make many "performance" modifications to his alpine...he bought parts from pegasus racing... had pulled his 1725.. did a rather rough vizard mod iirc .. added twin sidedrafts... And did that flywheel...
I remember Jim E positing a Photoshop image of it with a saw as a ringgear ...as he expected that to be the result.....
Michael (Mr Memory), what is a "saw as a ring gear?"

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael (Mr Memory), what is a "saw as a ring gear?"
When Jim saw the photos of the Zizzo mods to the flywheel he did some Photoshop.(.or found an image) of a cerated circular saw blade as a flywheel.... The implication being what may happen with such an extensively modified stock disk where it wasn't just surface material or depth removed.. but significant holes in it.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jerry, did I tell you that a clubmate with a highly tuned S1 featuring a 1725cc race engine had a pretty radical flywheel made back in 2011?
It was a one off made from C50 steel to house a Toyota clutch mating to the aussie bellhousing and a 5 speed gearbox. Total weight incl. ring gear was 5.25kg and he stated at the time that the same design could have been realized to incorporate an Alpine clutch/gearbox instead. Not sure whether his machining shop is still existing and willing to do another one, but can check with him if needed...

IMG_20230219_102837.jpg

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jerry, did I tell you that a clubmate with a highly tuned S1 featuring a 1725cc race engine had a pretty radical flywheel made back in 2011?
It was a one off made from C50 steel to house a Toyota clutch mating to the aussie bellhousing and a 5 speed gearbox. Total weight incl. ring gear was 5.25kg and he stated at the time that the same design could have been realized to incorporate an Alpine clutch/gearbox instead. Not sure whether his machining shop is still existing and willing to do another one, but can check with him if needed...

View attachment 28178
I think he posted some pics of it earlier in the thread?

Tom13

Donation Time
... good morning Bernd, nice to read from you. We had no contact for a long time. But we will see each other for sure in UK
or at the latest at the Sunbeam meeting in Hof.

For the others here:

If anyone is interested in the dimensions for the flywheel I can post a drawing with all the
necessary data as a PDF file. But the mounting points for the pressure plate are only
designed for the Toyota pressure plate.

But a 200 mm Alpine clutch disc could also be used.

For the Toyota clutch disc, however, I used a modified release lever.

Attachments

• 1677140246144.jpeg
    1677140246144.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • slave cylinder kpl..JPG
    slave cylinder kpl..JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 49

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I know aluminum flywheels were available not that long ago. Anyone know who made them and whether another run could be commissioned?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I know aluminum flywheels were available not that long ago. Anyone know who made them and whether another run could be commissioned?
They are available out of the UK for both 1600 and 1725 with options of lightweight Clutch and pressure plate. Jerry bought that.

Dan W had a flywheel done stateside iirc

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom13, do tell about THAT Bellhousing?

Who makes that?

BTW, my aluminum flywheel effort was stalled with a lack of New SV pressure plate parts.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tom13, do tell about THAT Bellhousing?

Who makes that?

BTW, my aluminum flywheel effort was stalled with a lack of New SV pressure plate parts.

Tom13 stated in post #9 it's a Dellowes. here's the link.

www.dellowconversions.com.au

The online catalog doesn't list everything they can produce. You'll probably have to contact them directly to discuss what is available. I know the Rootes engine/Toyota gearbox used to be in the catalog. I also once saw a Cologne V6/Toyota gearbox version listed.

Was there a possible demand for an alloy flywheel with the earlier 8" clutch instead of the sV's smaller unit?

Just curious,

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
They are available out of the UK for both 1600 and 1725 with options of lightweight Clutch and pressure plate. Jerry bought that.

Dan W had a flywheel done stateside iirc
Actually the flywheel and pressure plate are steel. Note: the flywheel only weighs 4.35 kg.

Tom13

Donation Time
... yes , as already mentioned the Bellhousing comes from Dellow Automotiv Australia. I have found old
documents with the prices at that time. These should certainly be much higher today.

Attachments

• Dellow1.pdf
    245.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Dellow2.pdf
    282.4 KB · Views: 15