• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2020 Calendar articles

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
One other trick - While getting everything working disconnect the battery and put a small (5A) fuse in series at the battery. If you mess something up you pop the little fuse. After it is all working you can get rid of the little fuse.
What I great idea! I wish I'd known that when I rewired my SV. I will definitely do that when the time comes to work on the SIV and S3.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
put a small (5A) fuse in series at the battery
Very good advice as you don't want anything to burn in your new harness. Another way to do this is to use a battery charger
with a 5 amp circuit ( mine has a 10 amp) and the most you're going to ruin is a fuse. Just be aware that things don't work
the way you think they will when using low voltage. I've found that the lights will all work, but sometimes the horns won't
and of course the starter won't either, but at least you can check your connections for power.

Cheers!
Steve

loose_electron

Donation Time
What I great idea! I wish I'd known that when I rewired my SV. I will definitely do that when the time comes to work on the SIV and S3.
In my younger years I rewired a fair number of cars with electrical fires and whatnot. Have done a few experimental airplanes and a couple of boats as well. All fun stuff.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Thanks, short of the hydraulic crimper, I think I have it all. I will use the 5 amp fuse trick for sure.
The hydraulic crimpers don't get used often but pay for themselves the first time you use them with perfect length battery cables. There's perfectly good chinese made hydraulic wire crimpers on sale on EBay for $35-40

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Jerry, interesting story about cleaning the creosote ( wax ) off the cars when they landed. I too had that job. Summer vacation 1966, I worked at Rootes in Scarborough, Ontario ( suburb of Toronto ). my neighbour who was the body shop foreman got me the job. Spent that summer with the steam jenny cleaning off the shipping wax, polishing all manner of Rootes vehicles, then driving them down the lot to fuel them up.
Best job ever.
Bobbo