• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2014 "SAOCA events" - SUNI and United

65beam

Donation Time
Suni

there were 19 alpines at SUNI plus jerry's Harrington and the sebring alpine. I don't know if bill blue knew about two people wanting to buy his hard top when he had it stored in the parts room. all alpines were in the same class in the concourse. there were three cars in the touring class. this class had a 1953 alpine with a V6, a Hillman estate with tiger drive line and a husky with surf boards.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
there were 19 alpines at SUNI plus jerry's Harrington and the sebring alpine. I don't know if bill blue knew about two people wanting to buy his hard top when he had it stored in the parts room. all alpines were in the same class in the concourse. there were three cars in the touring class. this class had a 1953 alpine with a V6, a Hillman estate with tiger drive line and a husky with surf boards.

Tried to buy it or asked about it? But no, I knew nothing about any interest in the top.

Were all the Alpines lumped together in the popular vote? Barb said they were, I didn't think so.

We are in Fort Morgan, will be home tomorrow. We have had more compliments on the Alpine on this trip than ever before. People really like the idea that we're driving it. A lot of interest at the SUNI, people thinking that I found an engtine that would drop into an Alpine and have everthing fit in place.

Barb has a lot of photos, but we don't know of a good way to let people access them.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
Suni

bill,
I had two ask if your top was for sale. all of the alpines were put in the "alpine" class at the last moment instead of personalized and stock.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The combined Alpine concours class was created a month before the event, when they only had nine pre-registrants and had to make a decision on how many engraved trophies to buy. Of course after they placed the order, procrastinators like myself started finally getting around to registering and we ended up with 15 or 16 Series Alpines (plus the Harrington and Sebring in the historic class). Meanwhile over in Personalized Tiger, they had 20+ entries also competing for the same 3 trophies, so we can't cry too loudly.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Harrington Le Mans was overlooked for recognition in the historic class and did not get judged in the Alpine class. With chagrin my wife and I looked past the oversight and enjoyed the event's highlight of meeting many of the enthusiastic attendees. Nothing better than overhearing and engaging in nonstop conversations about Sunbeams and many of the Rootes marques. We particularly enjoyed the rally through the Colorado countryside and historical mining areas until a voltage regulator melt down led to the Hard Luck award. Not the kind of remembrance one wants in the trophy display. One of my personal highlights was riding with Dick Sanders in the winning autocross Alpine. Whew, you are quick my friend. Out sprinting many of the tigers on a relative long course. The ultimate high (no this is not about utilizing Colorado's THC law or savoring the elevation), during our return trip home, was finding and viewing an unregistered Harrington Le Mans. When the restoration is completed the owner may debut its existence.

65beam

Donation Time
Suni

jerry,
after thirty plus years of being an owner of a lemans I can say that it has never been included in the alpine class. this includes the SUNI's. the reasoning of the various clubs here in the states is that it never carried the alpine name as type A conversions did and is not considered an alpine. it is a sunbeam Le Mans. my fastback alpines are not judged in the alpine classes either. both the fastback and lemans have always been included in the rare rootes / other rootes class along with Hillmans, Singers, Humbers ,etc. I asked the same questions many years ago myself. my red car and the Harrington tiger were set together at SUNI 2 and not with the tigers and alpines. the lemans is the only Harrington conversion that was sold by rootes dealers only and was not sold here as an alpine. even though the lemans is based on an alpine it is not an alpine and never had any alpine logos on it. the alpine name is not shown on the title of either of my three cars. wasn't your car included in the special class along with the other cars of what could be called the premier class?

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bob,

With all due respect, notions you often bring to the forum seem to be born out of your specific world and perceptions. I appreciate the sharing, but, there are many other ways the world turns.

Actually, according to the original owner, my Harrington Le Mans (HLM) was purchased from a Datsun dealership in Tacoma, Washington. Maybe they had exclusive rights to sell Rootes vehicles but weren't known for that honor. As to the grouping of my HLM at current car shows, the past five years and over a dozen shows, it has usually been included in the Alpine group. At two of the largest shows, Portland's ABFM (over 600 cars) and Vancouver, BC's Van Deusen Gardens ABFM (500 cars) it was in the Alpine class. Usually the classing for the Rootes cars at current shows I have attended are Tigers, Alpines, and other Rootes cars or solons. The early 50's Alpines are thrown in with the 59 - 67 Alpines. Unfortunately, I have never seen a GT fastback at any of the shows (I tell you "they get no respect"). Once it was lumped in with all Sunbeams/Rootes cars even though there were 21 tigers, 5 Alpines (including my HLM) and a Hillman station wagon. So as not to bog ourselves down in semantics we should simply applaud the organizers of these events. The efforts it takes to put on a show and the rewards participants receive from the expanding comradeship far exceeds any discussion about classing, award outcomes and ego stroking from showing the cars.

65beam

Donation Time
Suni

jerry,
I'm just telling you what is used in the concourse rules of the organized U.S sunbeam clubs, not individual local shows. I also have been showing sunbeams all over the country for well over 40 years and I speak from having been there, done that and asked questions. facts are facts. we will be in Pittsburgh next week and there have been several times sunbeams have been put in the other british class. this show usually has close to 500 brit cars so I'm used to being in a generic class if there is a low number of beams registered. we live with those facts and enjoy the fun of just being there. maybe that's why the wife and I have covered over 6000 miles since april just going to shows. it's all about the enjoyment!

RootesRooter

Donation Time
...I'm just telling you what is used in the concourse rules of the organized U.S sunbeam clubs, not individual local shows....

Even with Sunbeam clubs those "rules" are often set in jello. Every year's event brings a slightly different cast of organizers with their own set of expectations. Past event records get lost, and the wheel gets re-invented over and over. Tigers United might be an exception, but only with regard to Tigers. Alpine classes have come and gone there too.

SUNI's historic class display wasn't as memorable this time around, despite the best efforts of the individual owners. There were a couple of entries that dropped out late. And unlike, say, SUNI IV's fabulous layout in the center plaza of the event hotel, the Marriott's traditional parking lot wasn't conducive to anything that special.

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
From the The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha, "Facts are the enemy of the truth." Quixote was speaking about those that carry on their on perception of the world regardless of reality. The truth is well stated Rootesrooter.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
From the The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha, "Facts are the enemy of the truth." Quixote was speaking about those that carry on their own perception of the world regardless of reality. The truth is well stated Rootesrooter.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Could not make it to SUNI?

Then come join us at the TE/AE United September 11-15 at the Boyne Mountain Resort at Boyne Falls, Michigan! We will be staying in affordable resort rooms as it is the off season and remember that the early registration for the upcoming TE/AE United ends on August 1st. Please register early for lower cost. Non members of TE/AE are invited to attend the United and there is no extra charge to do so. All Rootes cars and owners are welcome! Also please contact me if you are bringing parts for sale at our huge Rootes swap meet and I will make sure you have a table or two! See more info about the United at www.rootesamerica.org or send me a PM. Thank-you, Eric

65sunbeam

Diamond Level Sponsor
United Update

The United is less than a month away now-come join us in Michigan, it will be nice to be in cool weather again with lots of Sunbeams. All Rootes cars are welcome. There will be Sunbeam driving tours, an evening boat cruise, an all Rootes car show, tech sessions, swap meet, and lots of chances to make new friends and talk Sunbeam!

65sunbeam

Diamond Level Sponsor
It is not too late to register....

Latest count is about 50 Rootes cars and over 100 owners!
Get that registration mailed in the next few days or register at the event so you don't miss the fun in Michigan.

Tom Jeffers

Silver Level Sponsor
TEAE United schedule

One week until the United, there is still time to attend.

Schedule:
Thursday:
Registration 3pm - Midnight
Hospitality, Parts Room 5pm - Midnight
Dinner on your own
Friday:
Registration, Hospitality, Parts Room 6:30am - 8am, 3pm - 5 pm, 9pm - Midnight
Car Cruise, 8am - 3pm, line up at 8am, depart 8:30am, lunch included during cruise.
Board of Directors Meeting, 3pm - 5pm
Dinner 5pm - 7pm on your own
Boat Cruise, board 6:30pm depart 7pm
Saturday:
Registration, Hospitality, Parts Room, 7am - 9am, 2pm - 5pm, 8pm - Midnight
Concours, 9am - 2pm
Lunch, Noon - 2pm on your own.
General Membership Meeting, 5pm - 6pm
Dinner Pizza Buffet: 6pm - 8pm
Sunday:
Hospitality, Parts Room, 7am - 9am, 2pm - 5pm, 9pm - Midnight
Autocross, 9am - Noon
Sunday Outing, 9am - Noon
Lunch, Noon - 2pm, On your own.
Tech. Sessions, 2:30 - 4pm
Banquet, Social Hour 5pm, Dinner 6pm

Information on the Concours is available at http://teae.org/concours-rules-and-guidelines/

Information on the Autocross is available at http://teae.org/teae-autocross-rules/

The weather may be cool at times so bring a jacket.

We hope your travels to the United are safe and look forward to seeing you.