• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2014 "SAOCA events" - SUNI and United

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Just a reminder. We are foregoing our annual SAOCA Invasion this year and encouraging Sunbeamers to attend one or both of this year's SUNI VI and TE/AE United XXXIII.

Logos (with links) to these events have been added to the top of the website/forum next to the SAOCA logo. Please check them out.

I know there are already some discussions on the forum here about plans and such. It would be great to hear a report and see pictures from any attendees!

RootesRich

Donation Time
Suni Vi

All,
I just received the following message regarding SUNI Registration fees via CATO (Colorado Assoc of Tiger Owners):

This from Max Pahmeier the SUNI VI Organizer:

I want everyone who is thinking about coming to SUNI to know that our hotel
room block ends on June 1. That means the hotel is free to put those blocked
rooms open to the public so go ahead and get your reservations at the hotel
made.

Also, SUNI will wave the $25 extra fee for registration to encourage you to
get your SUNI reservations in. The regular price of $200 and $175 will apply
up to June 16th. Extra fee on reservations will apply after June 16.

Rumor has it this will be the last SUNI unless someone other than Max steps up in the next 5 years. If you're on the fence regarding attending, please seriously consider attending. I'll be there all day Mon, Tues and Fri and will attend the evening events Wed and Thurs. My father will be there all week with the pre-production SV as well as a family friend from the Bay Area who owns a beautifully restored SII.
Haven't seen any chatter on the Forum regarding attendance. Hopefully this will pick up as the event draws closer.

65beam

Donation Time
suni

SUNI 1 was a joint project of clubs from all parts of the country, the turn out was fantastic. attendance has dropped off on all of the SUNI's since. this could be due to the fact that input from other clubs has not been accepted in the planning and there are clubs that no longer support the event. some members of these other clubs do attend but the number is small. if someone does step up to take over future SUNI's they need the support of all sunbeam clubs in the states and Canada. planning and implementation can not be a one man job.

mikephillips

Donation Time
You have a good point Bob. Back when I did the president thing I had a request for input on location, activities, etc. The response I got was effectively that I hadn't provided the "right" input. Apparently what they wanted was validation of their then plan, not thoughts on things that could be done differently.

I'm hoping to make United, so far this time I have the weekend clear.

65beam

Donation Time
suni

mike,
we're glad to hear you can make the united. this should be a good one. I'm sure there are many on this forum that would enjoy the united. we need your help to organize the united for 2015 here in ohio.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
After hearing about SUNI II and III, I attended SUNI IV in beautiful Park City, Utah. The large number of Rootes owners and delivery of the five day event was incredible. The presentation by Carol Shelby and his mechanic George (who built the Shelby Tiger prototype) at the closing banquet was historical. SUNI VI is already set for having a great time with fellow Rootes enthusiasts. With the presence of Graham Robson (noted author and writer of books on Tigers), Rosemary Smith (well known rally driver and an elegant woman) and John "the box" Roseby (the guru of transmissions and overdrive rebuilds) I would say the event will be an excellent occasion to Internationally celebrate our Sunbeam Tigers, Alpines and other Rootes marques. I, one of many Rootes owners, will be there with my Promotional Harrington Le Mans that appeared on the cover of Car & Driver April, 1962 and raced in the International Conference of Northwest Sports Car Clubs 1962 racing season.

65beam

Donation Time
suni

are there other members that have been to a previous suni and plan to attend suni 6 ?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
are there other members that have been to a previous suni and plan to attend suni 6 ?

SUNI V in Rapid City was outstanding, especially the organized drive through the Badlands, the people partiicipating all week, and their Sunbeams.

I recall that SAOCA folks were there and hope to see more in SUNI this year in Colorado Springs.

I know of a conversation to jointly rent a transport truck - if anyone is interested in shipping their car from the Atlanta area with a "group discount" send me a pm.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Now I feel even worse about missing SUNI V. Business demands prevailed. I heard from others about the great time they had. I'm excited about SUNI VI and look forward to seeing the historic Tigers including the No. 9 Lemans Tiger, the No. 192 Targa Floria Tiger, and the No. 74 Sports Car Forum Tiger. I hope there are going to be more Harringtons attending. Last year the three Harringtons in Washington State were able to gather at the Western Washington ABFM. It was great to see each others car and note the factory similarities and differences.

Alan, I look forward to meeting you in Colorado Springs sometime between June 30th and July 4th. Home of the infamous Pikes Peak. For anyone that didn't know they will be running the annual Pikes Peak Hill Climb the Sunday before SUNI VI begins.

Cheers,
Jerry

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Now I feel even worse about missing SUNI V...

Cheers,
Jerry

In the immortal words of the late Slim Pickens: "Ditto."

Missing SUNI V was what spurred me to get serious about restoring my Alpine. Someone kindly bought an extra magnetic SUNI V sign and gave it to me to go with the other four on the refrigerator, but it just wasn't the same.

Like Jerry, I hope to meet some of the folks on this board in person at SUNI VI.

Regards,
Dick Sanders

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I can't commit 100% to going yet, but I am currently planning on it. Will anyone be heading through St. Louis on their way to CO?

65beam

Donation Time
Suni

we will not have a Harrington at SUNI. I had the red car at SUNI 2 but had alpines at SUNI 3,4 & 5. I have an alpine registered for SUNI 6.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
70 is pretty much my only choice. I will be driving the SV, assuming it has a front end in time. I'm sure there will be more discussion on this topic as we get closer.

Bob: I know from past events that you will be trailering your car. I'll have to get an early start to get a jump on you. That way you can stop if you see me stranded by the side of the highway. :eek:

65beam

Donation Time
Suni

jim,
I would stop but the trailer will be loaded. I do carry lots of spares for folks that break. we plan to leave Thursday morning so I may be way ahead of you. I drive fast.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Oh well. I'll just have to make it far enough for AAA to get me the rest of the way, if necessary.