• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2008 SOS in Columbia, SC

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Almost Friday !

It's here ! Finally... See you Scats Saturday Am ! !

Tom j

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
A great time in Columbia at the SOS and the Midlands British car show. Wish you were there.

Special thanks to Todd Smith for putting on a great event, and Denise for her hard work.

Also thanks to the Outlaw Eric Gibeaut for leading the Alpine group on a fun drive, and the tour of his "Alpine Ranch"

It was a beautiful couple of days, the cars looked great, 9 Sunbeams present.

I recommend anyone within a few hours to attend next year.

Sam

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Very Enjoyable Time

Thanks to Todd, Denise, and Eric, we really had a good time in Columbia again this year. I really missed Bonnie's brownies though :). Please thank her for her service to our country. The drives were great not too hot and even a little cool in some spots, took the back roads all the to the show and most of the way home, what a difference from the major highways...much more relaxed although a bit longer it was worth it. People in the small out of the way towns seem to get a thrill seeing an old small sports car going through town, they almost always wave and grin.

I agree with Sam if your within driving distance plan on attending next year !

Thanks again guys, Good job !

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I plan to attend next year, this year just didn't work.

Sunbeams are supreme!!!!

I am prepping Airpine for a race in November, gotta figger out why she uses a qt of oil every 200 miles and doesn't smoke or knock ??

Weird.

But the carbs are coming along, finally. The front one was broke, now a replacement is in place - much better.

I sure wish I could have participated -- sorry!!

And TOm, maybe it's about time for the quarterly meeting of the Atlanta chapter for coffee and swap-notes.. ??

Allan

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for coming everyone. That was a great drive we took on Saturday-the weather was perfect. Judy and her Alpine got first place in the Sunbeam class on Sunday at the show. Here is a shot of the group getting parts off one of my parts cars-like buzzards circling the wagons! We will see you next year. Eric

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for coming everyone. That was a great drive we took on Saturday-the weather was perfect. Judy and her Alpine got first place in the Sunbeam class on Sunday at the show. Here is a shot of the group getting parts off one of my parts cars-like buzzards circling the wagons! We will see you next year. Eric

That's right Eric, but what do buzzards usally circle ?? :D
Thanks for the ground clips....

Tom j

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor

Sunbeams are supreme!!!!

I am prepping Airpine for a race in November, gotta figger out why she uses a qt of oil every 200 miles and doesn't smoke or knock ??

Weird.

But the carbs are coming along, finally. The front one was broke, now a replacement is in place - much better.

And TOm, maybe it's about time for the quarterly meeting of the Atlanta chapter for coffee and swap-notes.. ??

Allan

Allan, Maybe we can get together soon, got a few things to finish to support the Alpine habit, I just hope they're done before the weather turns anti-Alpine. As far as your generator goes I've seen mounting "ears" welded back on, was it out of alignment? what would have caused it to break off ? Good to hear you've got the carb problem solved.
As for the oil...........look underneath............:D
Tom j

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Allan, Maybe we can get together soon, got a few things to finish to support the Alpine habit, I just hope they're done before the weather turns anti-Alpine. [.:/COLOR]Tom j
I'm going to plan a gathering at my place soon. Got the new garage built and have to have the entire Atlanta Chapter down for all to see. Good food and fellowship. Maybe we could do some planing some local events and put our thinking caps on to come up with some ideas for Invasion X (10). We are working with SCAT to put on a great time in the mountains. Lots of good Sunbeam roads in them there mountains. We need to plan a caravan to SUNI in South Dakota. I'm thinking this will be a growing caravan, picking up members as we head toward the North West

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Allan,

Are you running a PCV valve, or have you got an old one on your engine? I have found that an old PCV can cause your engine to use oil, without even seeing it in smoke coming out the tail pipe.

Jose :)

Sunbeams are supreme!!!!

Weird.

Allan

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Allan,

Are you running a PCV valve, or have you got an old one on your engine? I have found that an old PCV can cause your engine to use oil, without even seeing it in smoke coming out the tail pipe.

Jose :)

How can you tell if the PCV valve is good or not ?

Tom j

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Jose,

No PCV valve. The car has a 1725 cc engine, but the old style pushrod cover, which has a vent pipe that points down towards the ground and is open. Also has the older style oil filler neck cap, that has no opening for a hose to hook to the carbs.

Allan

sammaw@bellsout

Silver Level Sponsor
Allan, I looked at my car, and wonder if your side cover is on upside down. Is the Vent in the front as it is now installed? Do you not have a port/tap on the intake manifold where the pcv should screw in? It maybe plugged on your car.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Allan, I looked at my car, and wonder if your side cover is on upside down. Is the Vent in the front as it is now installed? Do you not have a port/tap on the intake manifold where the pcv should screw in? It maybe plugged on your car.

Sam,

That would be an easy fix if the pushrod cover is on upside down :) .

Should the vent-pipe point up, or down .. ?? Currently it points down to the ground.

I will have to re-look for a PCV port. If I have one it is news to me.

I am using a S3 dual Zeniths intake, fitted to connect to the brake booster, so is that late S3 I guess. I'm unsure where would one find a PCV valve if one is present for S3 intakes ??

It would be great to fix a valve !! :) :)

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Sam, thanks, great photo!

I don't know the factory sequence, but think that the PCV valve/emissions was added for SIV, if not for SV.

The tube that points up on the pushrod cover plate ? in the photo, points down on the pushrod plate for S3 and earlier, I think :) .

I am using one of the early pushrod plates with the tube that points down...and has no hose leading from it to anywhere.

The intake manifold for S3, needed for Zeniths and also has a power booster connection, does not appear to have a PCV valve, as does the later manifolds for Strombergs, and perhaps for the Solex, unless it is located inside the connection to be used to hook up the brake booster.

Also, on the earlier Series I noticed that the oil filler cap does not have a tube for a hose to connect to one or both carbs.

I think that changed at some point for S3 or earlier, as some of the pancake/wire mesh air filters do have a fitting for such a hose from the oil filler neck...

so what does all this mean :) ??

Perhaps I have a valve and it is stuck, and I don't know where it is located on a S3 intake manifold.

Or possibly there is some other issue impacting the engine's breathing, allowing oil to be forced out somehow some way...

Allan