• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 v6 turbo question.

Dillon65

Donation Time
Does anybody know if the stock 2.8 exhaust manifolds will fit between the wheel wells. I am considering using them for a turbo installation. Stan's in Auburn, WA. is no longer making the v6 headers, nor is he doing custom work.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Does anybody know if the stock 2.8 exhaust manifolds will fit between the wheel wells. I am considering using them for a turbo installation. Stan's in Auburn, WA. is no longer making the v6 headers, nor is he doing custom work.

The Ford 2.8 V-6 cast-iron exhaust manifolds will easily fit between the inner fenders, but if conventionally mounted (exhaust back / down), they will NOT fit between the Series Alpine steering box / relay arm on one side and the steering relay assembly / relay arm on the other side.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
As Dillion says, Stan is no longer in business. He is retiring.

He sent me my Header Fixtures (Jig) earlier last week.

They arrived yesterday and I now have a new Fabricator for my V6 headers.

Dropped off the Jig Fixtures this afternoon so work should begin soon.

Dillon65

Donation Time
I know at one time Jose had done a turbo v6 alpine and I am curious if he used the stock manifolds or had custom ones made. I was thinking of switching them side to side to avoid the steering linkage. Again just an idea, but before wasting time I'm asking you all with a ton of more knowledge. Thanks.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The 2.8 has unevenly spaced exhaust ports. If you swap them side to side, the ports will not line up.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dillon, I have a set of the Mutt II exhaust manifolds in my junk, perhaps if I find them I can check what they might look like in the ALPINE. Just don't think they will fit because of some of the prior comments.

There is an article on the turbo out there somewhere as I recall.... maybe TEAE ? BURTON POWER also may be a source for info ?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I know at one time Jose had done a turbo v6 alpine and I am curious if he used the stock manifolds or had custom ones made. I was thinking of switching them side to side to avoid the steering linkage. Again just an idea, but before wasting time I'm asking you all with a ton of more knowledge. Thanks.

Pictures of Jose's turbo installation and exhaust components.

turbo 5.jpg turbo 6.jpg turbo 7.JPG turbo 8.JPG turbo 1.jpg turbo 2.jpg turbo 3.jpg turbo 4.jpg

Dillon65

Donation Time
Thanks to all. After looking at those pi tures now I understand how Jose squeezed so much hp out of that engine. I used to race a 76 capri and bought most parts from a defunct company out of Portland OR. called Rocstock. They did a draw thru turbo kit and I think they just switched exhaust manifold sides to route the exhaust forward to the turbo.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks to all. After looking at those pi tures now I understand how Jose squeezed so much hp out of that engine. I used to race a 76 capri and bought most parts from a defunct company out of Portland OR. called Rocstock. They did a draw thru turbo kit and I think they just switched exhaust manifold sides to route the exhaust forward to the turbo.
Not on a Ford 2.8. The 2.6 maybe as it has only two exhaust ports.
Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks to Barry for posting the images.

From what I can tell the PIC's below will define their positions on the 2.8Components of Jose 2.8 V6 Turbo 1.jpg Components of Jose 2.8 V6 Turbo 2.jpg