• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 V6 Questions

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a couple of questions for the experts. I am just finishing up a transmission swap. I had the car running (still on jackstands) over the weekend but wasn't happy with the position of the vacuum advance chamber on the distributor. I pulled the distributor last night with the intention of rotating it a couple of spots on the hex drive and now I can't get it to re-seat down where it should be. Everything looks ok - I am thinking the hex drive shaft may have pulled up with the distributor. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Obviously this could impact oil pump drive on the other end.

Question #2 - Car seemed to run good, but when I kicked it down from fast idle I could hear a knocking sound that semed to come from the rear of the engine/bellhousing area. It was a "tinny" sound like maybe something on the flywheel hitting the sheetmetal cover on the bellhousing. Is there anything else in there That I should investigate?

Based on both of these issues, I am thinking my next step is to drop the oil pan. Any thoughts, suggestions, observations, suggested things to look for when I'm in there are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

kmathis

Donation Time
Hi, Todd:

On the first part; the hex drive on the oil pump is probably just mis-aligned a little not allowing the distributor to drop down all the way. The way I solved mine was to take a 1/4'drive socket or there abouts and turn the hex drive slightly and then try to drop the dizzy down again. BE SURE TO USE SOME ELECTRICAL TAPE OR SIMILAR TO TAPE THE SOCKET TO THE EXTENSION; IT WOULD BE BAD TO DROP THAT DOWN IN THERE.:eek:
It took me a few trys to get it down in there all the way, but it should go.

On the second part; are you sure it isn't a lifter making a little noise or is it more of an external sound? I am with you on the plate between the trans and engine; that is about the only thing I can think of in that area that would make a tinny sound. You might need to dig around a little for this one.

Good luck!

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rather than take the risk, use a nut driver rather than a socket on an extension. No chance of dropping that in there!
Just food for thought.:D
Cheers!
Steve