• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 heads and block milling and decking

mr.vman

Donation Time
Constantly reading on the site about building the 2.8 V6. I have two complete engines, heads are ready to be sent out for larger vales and porting. Questions; Head milling, numerous post on milling heads, .030 inch to increase compression. Also posts on decking block for less clearance between piston and compression chamber. Both of these machine operations would increase compression ratio. Does not the intake manifold have to be machined after the heads are milled or the block is decked? In the Pruett book, there is chart as to how much to machine the intake manifold if heads are milled. There does appear to have much material to remove, .030 inch (heads or block). Just get the tallest height pistons, head work, cam and build engine? Or, buy special compression ratio pistons? I am waiting for this camshaft testing to be done to see where to go for a camshaft. What about offset timing gear keys? Are there any keys out there to dial in the camshaft? Thank you for the time and information. Steve V.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve, I'd not do a lot of milling unless I wanted a race engine....

And yes the intake needs to be milled to match the heads if they are other than stock in most cases....

As for a cam! What do you plan to do with your engine? AGAIN, IS IT TO BE A RACE ENGINE? OR PERHAPS A VERY NICE STREET and everyday driver that you can enjoy?

If you plan to race, I have a Delta Cam that is available, IT IS A FULL RACE CAM ACCORDING TO DELTA!!!

I have two of them.... one for early 2.8 V6 and one for the later 2.8 V6. There is a MAJOR difference! The cam journals are larger in the later v6 engines.

I replaced one of the Full Race Delta Cams with a Comp Cam 36 241 4. I'm putting the V6 back TOGETHER RIGHT NOW:) My intake needs to be milled in accordance with Pruitt's Book.

Last edited:

loose_electron

Donation Time
I would be curious to learn more about the machining of the intake manifold to match any machining of the heads. My intake manifold sticks out a bit at the valve covers making for a valve cover seal against a "two step" surface. Obviously not the right way to do things and at some point it will need to be fixed. For the moment I got clever on the valve cover gasket, and right now it seals and has no leaks.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jerry, In Pruett's book as an example if you mill the heads by .005 You need to mill the manifold sides by .004 and mill the bottom of the intake .007

There are more spec on what to do if the head is mill up to 0.045 in

Send me an E-mail with what you milled your head and I will tell you what He has in relation to the Intake Manifold sides and the Manifold Bottom.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Send me an E-mail with what you milled your head and I will tell you what He has in relation to the Intake Manifold sides and the Manifold Bottom.

I do not have the dimensional information, I figure when the valve covers start leaking again I will get the car to the machine shop that rebuilt the motor for the prior owner. Have them sort it out.

This car has been the expected stream of fixes and improvements associated with any restoration, but the most annoying things are the stupid and halfway stuff done by prior owners.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I do not have the dimensional information, I figure when the valve covers start leaking again I will get the car to the machine shop that rebuilt the motor for the prior owner. Have them sort it out.

This car has been the expected stream of fixes and improvements associated with any restoration, but the most annoying things are the stupid and halfway stuff done by prior owners.
Which are usually referred to "DPO"s". Fortunately, in my case, DPO also stands for "Damn Present Owner". I'm in the midst of correcting several of his mistakes right now.
Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jerry, In Pruett's book as an example if you mill the heads by .005 You need to mill the manifold sides by .004 and mill the bottom of the intake .007

There are more spec on what to do if the head is mill up to 0.045 in

The amount that the head has been milled is not the complete story; the required starting point is the amount that the head has been milled PLUS the amount that the block has been decked.

JMO, YMMV.

Last edited:

loose_electron

Donation Time
The amount that the head has been milled is not the complete story; the required starting point is the amount that the head has been milled PLUS the amount that the block has been decked.

JMO, YMMV.
Agreed - I will take an engineers a approach to it and figure it out. As for the "DPO" thing, well still learning the jargon. I may have been the kid polishing these cars in 1965 but back then was well before internet acronyms. :);)o_O:rolleyes:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
JMO, YMMV.

Barry, You are correct on your "JMO. YMMV"

Determining the starting point will be the hardest:)