• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 Ford V6, "Vee" belt widths

mr.vman

Donation Time
Measuring for Alernator and AC compressor belts. Noticed that the Ford Ranger and Mustang 2. Belt width of , 13/32 inch 10mm belt fits well in the crankshaft and water pump pulley. Top slightly proud of pulley. 1/2 inch 12.5/13mm belt rides above pulley. Does not fit into pulley. The Sanden AC compressor and Alternator do not appear to be an issue at this time. Both belt widths fit inside of pulley. What is the correct width, "Vee" belt? Width not length. There are several widths available. My local parts jobber was laughing, told me, "rarely sells "Vee" belts anymore. Thanks in advance. Steve V.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve,

You want as much as possible of the "sides" of the V-belt in contact with the "sides" of the pulleys and the "inside" surface of the V-belt must not "bottom out" in any of the pulleys. Note that as a V-belt wears and becomes narrower, it moves "deeper" into the pulleys.

All of the basic "small" V-belt dimensions are shown below.
vbelt+size+chart.jpg
Based on the information in your post, it seems likely that a "B" size V-belt is appropriate for your setup.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I had an interesting ride on the Vee belt merry-go-round when I built the turbo'd Pinto 2.0. Never found a belt that would fit my assortment of pulleys. There would always be a pulley that slipped and squealed. Bought a lot of belts in those 13,000 miles. The serpentine belt on the Duratec solved a lot of problems.

Good luck
Bill

A

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve, I use Gates XL 94 (47 & 55's) series belts on my 2.8 V6's Lengths vary but all are 1/2" wide. Just discovered the double pulleys on the harmonic balancer's for the Mutt II's are different widths but work OK!