• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 ford V6 heads, drilling cooling passages

mr.vman

Donation Time
Heads are at Machine shop for porting, larger valves, valve work (shop recommended by other posts). Question on drilling coolant passages through head fire face into water jackets. Information in, "Pruett" book is still correct? Use head gasket as pattern, in my case, Felpro head gaskets. Drill 5/16 inch hole, 1 inch deep. Four places on each head. No deeper than 1 inch or? Thank you for the help.
Steve V.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mr V man, If you have Sven Pruett's book and follow, you are OK.

If you don't have his book, Let me know if you have any further questions and I will try to help.

Go to my link below my signature for additional info on Head work

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I'm told the head gaskets for the 2.8 and 4 ltr are the same. The gasket has the hole for the passage for the 4 ltr, so some have used that as a guide. Can someone confirm?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The '84-'85 Ranger Gaskets are what I use as a first choice. sometimes I have found some late '70's series have the correct cooling passage holes in the gaskets.

As an example The ROL set FP-9136PT pictured is labeled for '74- '86 2.8 V6's AND IT HAS THE Correct passage holes needed for the recommended modifications by Sven Pruett.

The label references VICTOR PArt Number (s) : 3778 and 3516

Attachments

• 2.8 V6 Head Gasket  ROL  FP 9136PT         20190611_222548.jpg
    2.8 V6 Head Gasket ROL FP 9136PT 20190611_222548.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 21

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Beware!! Not all 2.8 V6 Head Gaskets have the holes we are speaking of for the cooling passages