• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 clutch

JMSiragusa

Gold Level Sponsor
That is a good question and a big part of my frustration as I never got a straight answer to that question. We did not machine any surfaces of the manifold, so my guess is that the heads had been previously machined and the original manifold machined to match. My guy just put the manifold on and it appeared to seat, so he assumed it was set right. If it is off, it can’t be by much. I know that I should probably pull it apart and measure, just thinking that the fuel injection might be an easier way to go at this point.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Thicker intake gaskets may work. I remember that Dan R mentioned different bolt lengths also.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Clutch is in and transmission attached. A few pictures attached. One looking into the bell housing.

In the picture that shows the oil pressure adapter and the filter, I would suggest you "cut" off the finger or tab that is pointing upwards. It serves to "fix" the angle of the filter in a normal position but, for the V6 Conversion in our Alpines it make be more beneficial to remove the finger/tab so you can tilt the filter to a 30 to 45 degree angle which allows more clearance between the filter and the header pipes.

Also a bit shorter filter will also provide more clearance which helps reduce the possible over heating of the oil in the filter. Just a suggestion.

JMSiragusa

Gold Level Sponsor
Dan, yes the thermostat housing is a tight fit, but does fit. I had not thought to cut the finger off. It does fit, but I do have to remove it to install the headers.

Jim, still considering options, but if we stick with he Offy, we will certainly try different gaskets and be sure that the correct length bolts are used.

mr.vman

Donation Time
Question, What brand of internal clutch release assembling are you using? Also what size master cylinder? I am shopping for an internal clutch release assembling (throw out bearing assembly) for my V6 engine, T5. Thank you in advance. Steve V.

JMSiragusa

Gold Level Sponsor
Mr. Vman, it is a Mcleod throw out using the original sunbeam master cylinder. Attached is the literature that came with the car. The PO had installed it and it works well.

Attachments

• Mcleod throw-out.pdf
    978.6 KB · Views: 14

JMSiragusa

Gold Level Sponsor
Hope everyone had a great Christmas. Thinking about the intake leak problem and had a couple of questions that maybe some on this forum know the answers.

Why does the gaskets for this engine have the center part that fit over the valley?

As the bolt holes extend through the center of the manifold and are exposed to the inner cavity, shouldn't these be sealed with something? We did not do this, seems like a prime location for a potential leak.

The manifold for this engine does not bolt to the heads, internet videos on installing an intake manifold all seem to have bolts that fit into the head, to pull the two surfaces together. In this manifold, we must rely on the downward pull of the bolts to seat against the angled surfaces.

End rail gaskets are there to keep oil in and do not have anything to do with the vacuum. So if the seal at the ends keep the manifold off the heads, then it won't seal.

I am going to try the Offenhauser manifold again. The plan is to take the stock manifold off, reseal with hylomar sealant and new gasket. Anyone ever perform a smoke check to find leaks before running the engine. I would like to avoid installing the engine and then finding a leak.

Thanks for any comments

JMSiragusa

Gold Level Sponsor
Does anyone have a picture of the off manifold taken apart. Mine seems to have a very thin seal area at one of the inner bolts. See the second picture. Anyone have any idea if that is normal. Just going through this to see if I can locate any problem areas.Bottom of Offy.jpgSeal Area of Offy.jpg

JMSiragusa

Gold Level Sponsor
Bill, looks like that should be the plan. Perhaps some sealant in the bolt hole. Picture of the gasket below. The gasket goes over the bolt hole, but that very thin surface just does not seam enough to provide a sufficient seal. IMG_3050.JPG

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
John, I just want to emphasis the bolt pattern for the 2.8 V6 when installing the Ofy 4 BBL Intake.

The bolt position I have circled in RED is for the shorter of the four utilized for installation.

If these are not properly installed there will be a vacuum leak even a very small one hardly noticeable.

Attachments

• InkedOfy Intake  for John    IMG_3050_LI.jpg
    InkedOfy Intake for John IMG_3050_LI.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 38

JMSiragusa

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan, will do. Whatever vacuum leak in the prior installation was enough to prevent it from idling. I hope to do a more careful install to prevent such a leak. Anyone know a way to check for leaking before installing everything back in the car. In other words, without running the engine.