• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1969 alpine gt

darlaih

Donation Time
i have a good solid 69 alpine gt i am looking for info and anything else i can find out about this car they seem to be rare i picked it up on a whim and really have no idea of value may be interested in selling it my garage is getting full

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Welcome,
There is certainly a lot less collector interest in the 1969's than in the earlier convertible cars, but you will find a few guys on here that own them. The aluminium head/dual carb cars are more desireable than the iron head/single carb models. I think your thread will get a lot more action if you post some pictures. Best of luck to you!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, pictures placed in the "Rootes Vehicles" section would garner the most response. A lot of guys never look at this section.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
1969 Gt

there aren't that many parts that are interchangeble between the fastbacks and the series alpines. internal engine parts and rear end gears are about the only things that are the same. the fastbacks were even more prone to rust than the series alpines so there aren't many left. suspension and drive train parts are hard to find and rubber parts are next to impossible. the most i have ever paid for one was 300.00 and it was a rust free,unmolested car that had been garaged for 30+ years. i'll be glad to answer any questions you have. go to my photobucket site and i have a few photos of one of my cars.
http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt142/65beam/

RootesRooter

Donation Time
To give you an idea of prices: A '69 Alpine Coupe (a stripped down version of the GT) has been on eBay twice recently. I'm familiar with about 25 years of its ownership history here in the Pacific NW. It's in good running condition and has always been well-maintained. No or very little rust - a rarity. It was displayed at SUNI V just before it was sold to the present owner.

The top bids were roughly $1600 (most recent) and $2200 in the two eBay auctions, with a disclosed reserve of $3K. You may still be able to look it up under "completed auctions." There were lots of photos.

My best guess is that a similar-condition GT could be had for $3000-$3500.

There's a huge drop-off in prices for a fastback that needs any real work. Restorable non-runners rarely go for more than $500.

And just another reminder to fastback owners that there's a vendor on eBay right now selling a ton of rare Arrow Range NOS parts.

65beam

Donation Time
69gt

these cars have the same problem as the series alpines. it costs much more to restore them than they sell for. i gave 300.00 for the white car and it cost many times that to restore it. i could never sell it for what i spent on it. hagerty has a value of 20K on the policy and that wouldn't cover what i spent on it. my advice to anyone that owns one or is thinking about buying one is to make sure you have a list of phone numbers or web sites for U.K. suppliers. or contact me. i have found many sources for parts other than sunbeam suppliers. europarts does have several parts for sale but when it comes to the hydraulics, the brake master is a pain to rebuild. i bought six new masters and the washers inside were corroded away from setting. TT and i were unable to find a booster kit in the U.K. or the states. he finally did come up with parts to rebuild it. the boosters on the GT's are an odd size bore. this could be due to the dual master. once sorted, the brakes are great. with the booster only connected to the front wheels,it's easy to set it on it's nose. i found out it was a chore to drive in george colemans N.C. mountains. i wore my arms out steering on the 180 degree turns. they are a great cruiser with a lot of room for a guy my size. and they are watertight! i adore the fastbacks.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I wonder if you wore your arms out because of the non-adjustable forward tilt of the steering wheel? My Coupe always felt like I was steering a bus. But it was much lighter to steer with the original bias plies.

these cars have the same problem as the series alpines. it costs much more to restore them than they sell for. i gave 300.00 for the white car and it cost many times that to restore it. i could never sell it for what i spent on it. hagerty has a value of 20K on the policy and that wouldn't cover what i spent on it. my advice to anyone that owns one or is thinking about buying one is to make sure you have a list of phone numbers or web sites for U.K. suppliers. or contact me. i have found many sources for parts other than sunbeam suppliers. europarts does have several parts for sale but when it comes to the hydraulics, the brake master is a pain to rebuild. i bought six new masters and the washers inside were corroded away from setting. TT and i were unable to find a booster kit in the U.K. or the states. he finally did come up with parts to rebuild it. the boosters on the GT's are an odd size bore. this could be due to the dual master. once sorted, the brakes are great. with the booster only connected to the front wheels,it's easy to set it on it's nose. i found out it was a chore to drive in george colemans N.C. mountains. i wore my arms out steering on the 180 degree turns. they are a great cruiser with a lot of room for a guy my size. and they are watertight! i adore the fastbacks.

65beam

Donation Time
69 Gt

the problem is with the steering. it is not a problem on the road at speed. it's more due to the weird angles of the wheels at low speeds. this is due to the almost vertical struts and the other steering components. the camber on my car is 0 on one side and a quarter on the other. there is no adjustment to castor or camber. the only parts i reused on the front suspension were the springs, the lower control arm and the crossmember. everything else is new parts. the tiger steering is great compared to this car. you can hear the wheels scrub on tight turns. the position of the steering wheel is great for me. if you remember ,the 69's had radial tires as standard equipment. in fact i still have the original spare hanging under the car. since almost every part of this car is new it's so tight and quiet, it's a real pleasure to drive on the road. it's better than they were when new. i just posted a couple photos of it on photobucket that were taken at the united.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I remember a photo caption from a period magazine (R&T?) road test that called the GT's cornering "the definition of understeer." From autocrossing my Coupe a couple of times, I can attest to that. But you're right, they were fun to drive on the open road, with improved brakes compared to the Series Alpines.

You're lucky you were able to re-use the springs. Once they sag, the camber's shot for good.

GT's came with radials, the cheaper Coupes and Sunbeam Arrows came with bias-plies.

Do I remember correctly that GT's had a mini-shock absorber attached to the steering column?

65beam

Donation Time
69gt

the white car was a very low mileage car that was parked in december 1973 and was never moved until i pulled it out of it's garage in june 06 so the springs were in good shape. i just replaced everything else on the car with a lot of nos parts. with all the little things we did ,it's better than when new.having a wife that likes sunbeams doesn't hurt either. speaking of tires, why did canadian spec arrows get 5.60 x 13 tires and U.S. spec cars got 6.00X13 ?