• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1969 Alpine GT glovebox veneer

lulu

Donation Time
I posted a question looking for help with removing the lock from a 1969 Alpine GT glovebox so I can fix the veneer.

Since some are probably wondering what that looks like I'm going to post some photos and follow up later with how I attempt to fix the problem. I'm a professional woodworker and most of the advice I've seen on the internet regarding repair of automotive woodwork are things I would not do.

I don't have the slightest interest in arguing with anyone who has found something that works to their own satisfaction but maybe my approach will be useful for someone who has yet to start on a similar project.

The first problem is that that vast majority of glues do not stick to dried glue even of their own type and I don't know what type of glue was used when it was made. The second problem is that in this case, other than the crack and the peeling, both the veneer and what looks like the original finish are nearly perfect with no cracking or chips other than the obvious delamination problem. I want to avoid any damage to the existing finish from glue squeeze out.

I have spoken with 2 highly qualified furniture conservators and 2 different glue industry consultants and I'm waiting to hear back from another. The two leading candidates for regluing are traditional hot hide glue and powdered plastic resin (PPR) glue.

I'll post more photos if and when things progress.
IMG_5034.jpg IMG_5033.jpg