• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

bing

Donation Time
IMG_0386.jpeg unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (3).jpg IMG_0395.jpeg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg IMG_0396.jpeg IMG_0395.jpeg unnamed (2).jpg IMG_0386.jpeg IMG_0390.jpeg IMG_0393.jpeg IMG_0384.jpeg IMG_0394.jpeg IMG_0399.jpeg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (2).jpg I purchased this car in 2013 from the person who spent six years restoring it. It was originally sold new in southern Calif. At some point this seller (not the original owner) moved to South Dakota where he restored the car. I had the car appraised by a person who had a business restoring Tigers. He didn't place a value on it but simply said that if I didn't buy it, he would and then sell it for $ 20,000. That was good enough for me. It remains in beautiful condition. There is not a scratch or dent to be found. It has about 12,000 miles on the restoration. The motor, transmission, front suspension, brakes were rebuilt. It has the original motor. I wanted overdrive so I bought a rebuilt overdrive transmission in England, had it shipped here and installed. It looks and runs like a new car. I have kept it mostly stock. It does have a few common upgrades: electronic ignition, Weber carb, Moto Lita steering wheel, and a BMC radio. The cloth fabric top looks like new. There is also a tonneau cover. There are a few people in the club that have seen this car when we had a couple of get togethers in Cambria, Calif. If you are interested in this car I would urge you to have it evaluated by a knowledgeable source if you don't live nearby (Calif. Central Coast). Reason for selling: I don't want to be the richest person in the cemetery, so I plan to buy an Austin Healey.

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I have seen this car in person, and it is beautiful.
IMG_3691-X2.jpg

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
That car is worth every penny of what he is asking. I have quite a few customers that have that (or more) in their restorations.
You couldn't build that car for what he's asking, and it's from the west coast!
Cheers!
Steve

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I will be sorry to see you leave our ranks, Bing, but wish you well on the sale. I remember your car from Cambria. It was very nice, indeed!

bing

Donation Time
I will be sorry to see you leave our ranks, Bing, but wish you well on the sale. I remember your car from Cambria. It was very nice, indeed!
Hi Jim, nice to hear from you! Well, if it doesn't sell I'm stuck with beautiful car. I'll try another venue if club members are not interested.

seriesIIIgt

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Bing
Sorry to see that you are selling your car After seeing your car in person and riding in it for the 2 years we were in Cambria l know that is a very good price as l have over 30k in mine and still not on the road People will pay 30 to 40 k for a old mustang l know because I sold mine a 67 in that price range but would be lucky to get 12 to 15 for my series III gt
Hope to cross paths again soon
Good luck on your new car
Geoff

bing

Donation Time
Hi Geoff,
Nice to hear from you! Well, we'll see what happens. I hope yours will be road worthy soon. It's been too long!

bing

Donation Time
Well, here's what happened. I was all set to go with BaT. Sent them the photos etc. But before I sell it I better make sure there's no difficulty getting in and out of a Healey 3000. I had one in the 70's. About ten years ago I had trouble getting in and out of an MGA, and that was with the top DOWN! So yesterday I hooked up with a Healey owner to make sure this is gonna work. NO WAY! I feel like part of me is still in the car. No problem with the Sunbeam, and my '69 Alfa Spider was like sitting in a living room compared to the Healey. So I'm going to keep calm and carry on like nothing happened. BaT says to photograph only when it's overcast or in the shade. What a difference compared the the photos I submitted on this site!

bing

Donation Time
Well I'm not going to put it on BaT. I guess I'll keep it until I find something else that stimulates me.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bing, I had a big smile appear when I read about you trying to fit in the Healy :)

People don't understand the leg room and comfort available in the Sunbeam Alpine. Sure it is more difficult for the "larger" folks but I am 6'2'' and can enter and exit easily. Driving is a pleasure for me.

The stock seat are very nicely designed and "fit" most folks. The Miata high backs are something I am going to in a couple of my other Alpines mainly for the safety of the neck/head rest.

Drive your beautiful Alpine, enjoy every moment.

bing

Donation Time
Hi Dan,
You are right about the cockpit of the Alpine. I checked the specs of the Healey 3000 and the Sunbeam. The Sunbeam is actually slightly smaller! Thank you for your comments

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm 6' 8" tall and people always ask how I fit in an alpine. I say easy, it has no top. In actuality, I have never fit well in any car, so it is just what I am used to.

Oh, and congrats on keeping your car, for now.