• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1966 sunbeam tiger w/ original (rebuilt) 260

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Car belongs to a friend, he just shelled out ALOT to get the "entire car" Restored. now, the problems: runs hot at idle and overheats. (that is within o the scope of something HE can take car of)** He says "the TRANS is leaking and Dripping out of the bell housing bottom !" I'm 1500 miles away so I cannot look to see if it is indeed a front trans seal leaking, OR, the engine rear main seal. there is "no inspection" plate on this bell housing . I know either way the engine has to be separated from the trans to fix either one. Is there a way to see if it is the Trans OR the engine besides the Smell of the Drippage ??? the Engine only has like 1 Thousand miles since "complete rebuild." trans rebuild , and clutch. Any Help is appreciated. Thanks.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Smell is the only way to tell whether it's gearbox or engine oil without taking everything out/apart. If it's engine oil there can be another root cause than just the rear main seal leaking. I have a similar issue on my Tiger with engine oil dripping from the bellhousing, but careful inspection with a torch revealed a blown cork strip between inlet manifold and rear top part of the block. Oil is collecting there and slowly running down to the bellhousing. Have been advised not to use cork strips anymore, but a thick bead of good automotive silicone RTV sealer instead. Can be the same with your friend's car. Better to check the block rear top portion at first, whether oil is collecting there...

Last edited:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I know the car. Just saw the owner last week and told him why his car is overheating ( there are at least two reasons)
As to the leaking (and many other issues the car has) his car will eventually get into my shop and we'll get it sorted.
That's the main issue. The shop that did the restoration didn't sort the car......at all! Can't believe he spent what he spent
on the car and they didn't even fix the doors!

alpine_64

Donation Time
I know the car. Just saw the owner last week and told him why his car is overheating ( there are at least two reasons)
As to the leaking (and many other issues the car has) his car will eventually get into my shop and we'll get it sorted.
That's the main issue. The shop that did the restoration didn't sort the car......at all! Can't believe he spent what he spent
on the car and they didn't even fix the doors!
Is it a red car? Alloy radiator without shroud?

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
sounds like the car. when he bought it in 1969 it was Black, w/ Black hard top. when he had it redone about 2 years ago it was changed to red. he told me he did put in an aluminum radiator. and he was complaining about the Doors ! If it is still "set up" like I remember from 1970, it has a 500 cfm Holley Carb I suggested he get Back Then. I haven't seen the car in person since 1972.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Took a black car and made it resale red gag me....
Everyone has a red Tiger :)
Wondering if its the one in a video on a " social media" site in a shop with bonnet off and car still in assembly where they have tbe engine running and are saying it's overheating

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Took a black car and made it resale red gag me....
Everyone has a red Tiger :)
that was my opinion also. Car was a Beauty in Black ! I have nothing against red, just not on a tiger. if I was going to Change something, it would have been the black interior to red. JMO

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yep, the owner has had the car since before he went to college ( & Europe) . It sat outside on blocks for many years
until he had it restored. It was an original black car, with black interior. He wishes he had kept it that way. It does
indeed have a 500 cfm Holley on it (on the original manifold) manual choke with no choke cable hook up. Starts fine
in the summer, but not so well when it's cooler. I also have a thing about red cars!
It'll get sorted once it gets in here.

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have heard there are dyes that have an oil base. Please know, I do not know much about these products. Add a dye in either the motor or the gearbox and see what color drip out. That should tell what is leaking, but as was said before, either way, there will be some heavy lifting to fix the problem.

hope this helps
Andrew

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I also changed to Firefox ages ago because of security and privacy issues. Not yet fully on board with DuckDuckGo, but I have been dabbling.