• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1966 head light bezels ?

Chad

Gold Level Sponsor
Since some heresies were already broached earlier in this thread, maybe it's a good place to ask...

Anybody got an idea where to find headlight trims like the ones on these cars? I bought one on ebay listed as '7" Lucas style' but the sizing wasn't close to these.

Headlight 1.jpg Headlight 2.jpg Headlight 3.jpeg

Chad

Gold Level Sponsor
Really? I've been looking at parts for this car for about two years now, and never ran across that nugget. I thought I had read that those were done on a custom basis, or with some kind of Lucas bits, or from other Rootes-family cars. I'm still learnin', clearly.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Have you checked to see if MGB are the same ?
They are not the same. There is no peak on the top of MGB chrome rims. You can fit them to your Sunbeam but the lack of that peak will really stand out.
MK2 Tigers, very late S5 Alpines and some Hillmans used the peaked narrow rims but they cost $$$$$.

Chad

Gold Level Sponsor
Fonz,
The fender flat is about 8 3/8” wide.

The Harley ones, like the beginning of this thread (or some non-eyebrow ones I got recently to try) are about 8 5/8” wide.

I have some Lucas style that are about 7 1/2” across, so way too small.

There’s these in the link below, that claim 8”.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010690628...Y6kFcRgT36&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I’ve never studied ‘real’ ones up close, but the pics above all have a bigger ‘forehead’, rather than being simple rings.

I’ll try a pie-cut and some metal shaping with the bigger Harley ring, and see what happens.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
My avatar has the peaked Harley visor mounted. I need to bondo and blend the top to match the fender. Also has the Tri-bar diamond cut H4 headlight.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have the same headlights, but original visors. I have not yet drilled and screwed mine in place, and I would be afraid of losing one at speed if I dont.

Chad

Gold Level Sponsor
Spent a couple afternoons messing with headlight rings, just to see what might be possible in a shop, versus buying real ones.

I have a pair of peaked, hooded rings, so I can always go back to those if my efforts don’t work out.

The 1st one is from scratch, starting with a sheet of 20ga steel. The black one is one of the Harley aftermarket rings, that I pie-cut, welded, and then inserted and welded a graving piece. Don’t focus too much on the fit against the fender - the headlight needs to be adjusted to let it be positioned properly, and one-handed I couldn’t push it into position while taking a pic. The Harley one is more ‘complete’ with its turned-in edges, but the metal is super thin and hard to weld.

I think I want to try one in aluminum next, hoping I can get a bit more thickness, and a bit more shape to it.

Attachments

• IMG_4654.jpeg
    IMG_4654.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4655.jpeg
    IMG_4655.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4656.jpeg
    IMG_4656.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4657.jpeg
    IMG_4657.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Since some heresies were already broached earlier in this thread, maybe it's a good place to ask...

Anybody got an idea where to find headlight trims like the ones on these cars? I bought one on ebay listed as '7" Lucas style' but the sizing wasn't close to these.

View attachment 27584 View attachment 27585 View attachment 27586
The top two look like they're part of the actual headlight (maybe a motorcycle one? Some of those come with that chrome on it), but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
I've got 5 of the painted "eyebrow type" hanging on my rafters, if any one is in need, screw in on bottom. $50 pr plus shipping. pm me.

Last edited:

Chad

Gold Level Sponsor
The top two look like they're part of the actual headlight (maybe a motorcycle one? Some of those come with that chrome on it), but I could be wrong.
The headlight lenses have a small chrome ring around the glass (see my pics), and the Mk2 style trims do have a very tight fit to the lens. But you can definitely see that there’s two chrome pieces involved.

A stock motorcycle trim (which is what the Harley one is, and is available in cheap chrome too) doesn’t have the taller forehead to meet the peak of the car fender. Hence, it’s either the Mk2 one$, or some fab work as I’ve been messing with.

Chad

Gold Level Sponsor
Interestingly, the original (and current) Sebring car being sold on BaT has simple round trim rings, leaving the fender peak uncovered.

Attachments

• IMG_4676.jpeg
    IMG_4676.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 21

alpine_64

Donation Time
Interestingly, the original (and current) Sebring car being sold on BaT has simple round trim rings, leaving the fender peak uncovered.
Sorry for a late post on the thread ..
Many of the factory race cars used a mix of headlight rims from 61-65 on Rapiers, Alpines and Tigers.

The "non peaked" rims as found on the 59 husky and series I singer gazelle were chromed and would later be used on the MKII tiger and late SV Alpine but painted matching body colour in both uses.

When rootes started racing in endurance racing they often used the simple round lucas rims at LeMans, Sebing and the TDF and on the rally cars. This was usually for quick removal and changing and likely for some reduced drag on circuit cars and no snow build up on the rally cars.

Often in normal circuit racing they would use the chrome gazelle/ husky style rims and they were often used on SCCA racers.

for Sebring where the factory ran team cars in 3 years and the HSC54 alpine in 63 and theodoli Harrington in 62/63 the cars ran round light rims and also the husky style.

the USA factory entred car in 62 ran the husky rims while the UK factory ran round.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Sorry for a late post on the thread ..
Many of the factory race cars used a mix of headlight rims from 61-65 on Rapiers, Alpines and Tigers.

The "non peaked" rims as found on the 59 husky and series I singer gazelle were chromed and would later be used on the MKII tiger and late SV Alpine but painted matching body colour in both uses.

When rootes started racing in endurance racing they often used the simple round lucas rims at LeMans, Sebing and the TDF and on the rally cars. This was usually for quick removal and changing and likely for some reduced drag on circuit cars and no snow build up on the rally cars.

Often in normal circuit racing they would use the chrome gazelle/ husky style rims and they were often used on SCCA racers.

for Sebring where the factory ran team cars in 3 years and the HSC54 alpine in 63 and theodoli Harrington in 62/63 the cars ran round light rims and also the husky style.

the USA factory entred car in 62 ran the husky rims while the UK factory ran round.