• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mark 1 For Sale

64beam

Donation Time
Awesome looking car :cool: . Lots of extra bits fitted and very clean and fresh. The price may scare some people off though.

Regards, Robin.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, I guess a car in that condition is basically like buying a new car.

In other words, how much would you pay for a truly new high-performance sports car? For example, a new Porsche 911 will run you over $75K... a BMW 7-series is over $80K... a Lotus Elise is $44K... and even a new Vette starts at around $48K.

So... given that... how much would you pay for a 'new' vintage Tiger?

Seems almost reasonable, given the alternatives.

65beam

Donation Time
tiger for sale

also keep in mind what it would take to restore a car to that condition. we have a bare shell that has been dipped and is now bolted in the rack. it is a rust free car and needs only dents worked out. we probably will replace some sections with new panels rather than try to repair the dents due to their location. i know what we have spent to get it to this point so this price for a tiger this nice isn't bad.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
30 grand actually

Well, I guess a car in that condition is basically like buying a new car.

In other words, how much would you pay for a truly new high-performance sports car? For example, a new Porsche 911 will run you over $75K... a BMW 7-series is over $80K... a Lotus Elise is $44K... and even a new Vette starts at around $48K.

So... given that... how much would you pay for a 'new' vintage Tiger?

Seems almost reasonable, given the alternatives.

Saturn Sky Redline, and NO they don't make them anymore shut down the plant July 2009. Cost with huge discounts if you can find one from a dealer still open is right at or below 30,000. Check the price on a used low mileage 06 Corvette right now; it ain't 50,000 a whole lot less then that amount.
It ain't new unless it has less then 100 miles from the factory, restored to museum condition well OK that a different topic all in itself.
Very Very nice Tiger but I will take my Saturn Sky 2 seat roadster for less any day of the week, just my 2 cents!

Donna
:D

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
1965 mark 1

It does look like a beautiful car! Interesting that they sweated so many details and then put a 289 in it (assuming that the writeup is correct).

As a follow up to Kevin's line of thought: If you rationalize the price as reasonable compared to a new car, do you also stand to suffer "new car" depreciation if you drive it and accumulate the usually road rash?

Unfortunately cars can become so pretty (and valuable) that people become hesitant to drive them!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Actually, re depreciation, you'll get *less* depreciation by purchasing a properly restored vintage car than you'd get if you bought a new one off the showroom floor. Indeed, if you've made even a reasonable deal on the car, the vintage car will almost immediately begin to go *up* in price, not down. I've been investing in and restoring vintage cars for almost 40 years now, and I have yet to lose money on a single one.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Unfortunately cars can become so pretty (and valuable) that people become hesitant to drive them!

I agree with this, if I paid 50,000 for this Tiger, I would have to moth ball it since IMHO it would be an investment. If you expected the value to stay the same or go up then your not driving it to work once or twice a week :eek:
Kind of takes the fun out of owning the car IMHO, I drove my Sky today to work, 3 years old and 28,000 miles and I need new low profile tires for Christmas!

Donna
:cool:

mikephillips

Donation Time
Investment potential depends on what you choose and where you are in the market for them. Some cars never really crash, early Ferraris and prewar racers come to mind. But most cars come and go over time and the collector population changes and interest moves on. I recall when I was a kid in the 60s guys buying Model T Fords in the high teens, equivilent to that 50k Tiger today. And think back to the bubble at the end of the 1980s where restoration project Jaguar E-types reached the 50k range. Never say never but if you can make money restoring cars then you're good at controlling your costs and picking the right segment of the market at that time.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

In my opinion, I can't see the point in 'moth balling' a car like this...cars are made for driving. I think the car is definitely worth a high dollar value judging by the pictures (close up may be different), but I also think the price is inflated due to the car yard (they always seem to inflate the price so it looks like your getting a bargain when haggling over price). In staying that, a Tiger restored to this standard in Australia would get at least the asking price if not more.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi,

In my opinion, I can't see the point in 'moth balling' a car like this...cars are made for driving. I think the car is definitely worth a high dollar value judging by the pictures (close up may be different), but I also think the price is inflated due to the car yard (they always seem to inflate the price so it looks like your getting a bargain when haggling over price). In staying that, a Tiger restored to this standard in Australia would get at least the asking price if not more.

Regards, Robin.

Rob,

Given the AU$ i'd say that car is cheap by Au standards, lets be honest.. your car cost almost twice that amount.

64beam

Donation Time
Rob,

Given the AU$ i'd say that car is cheap by Au standards, lets be honest.. your car cost almost twice that amount.

I totally agree, the Tiger in question is very cheap by Australian standards. To spend that amount on a Tiger in Aus, it would be due for a resto/tidy up.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

This Tiger as people have already probably seen is also on Ebay. Currently at US$31100...a long way off the car yards US$54500 they were asking. Still four days to go, so anything could happen.

Regards, Robin.

agmason

Donation Time
"Well, I guess a car in that condition is basically like buying a new car. "

That is true, but a circa 1965 car. Most if not all current performance sedans and sports cars will out run a 1965 Tiger.

I talked to a few restoration shops on a ball park figure to restore my Tiger and the range was $20,000 to $30,000. And that was just a starting point. It could be higher depending on what needs to be done. So $50,000 is not out of line for the quality of the restoration for this car appears to have.

Jim E

Donation Time
When we toured White Post restorations a few years back the owner told us their average restoration is 1000 hours @ $60 per hour plus parts. I am sure thier labor rate has gone up since.