• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1964 SUNBEAM Alger For Sale on eBay $24,500

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Wow this is Ed Esslinger's old Alger! The clue to me was the 1999 SOS dash plaque on it. Pete A. in S. Dakota used to own it and he sold it to a guy in California 20 years ago. Ed put in the A/C in it and drove it everywhere.
Great car. RIP Ed

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Wow. That looks like a smoking good deal. I'm sure Paul will weigh in here, but I remember when he bought it from Ed at one of the early Invasions. (Or was it a United?)

Edit: I see he also has an Alpine for sale. Personally, I think he is asking too much for the Alpine and too little for the Alger. (Although, IIRC, Ed considered it a "Tigpine" because of the number of Tiger parts in it.)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2557133573...DFkKplo0CjsyytWb5Kj3jTbZY=|tkp:Bk9SR8633JTjYA

Last edited:

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
Well, you can't deny true creativity ... Car probably needs some sorting out but bet it would be fun to cruise around in. One thing I have become very aware of is the cost and time nowdays to build a car like this. Very curious what this will sell for.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
How many stories of, "I got home with a coat hanger."
Do you hear from Tiger guys...
Many for me.
Plus if you ever had a old VW you never leave with out a spare throttle cable.

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
My weakness is to allways have a spare fuel pump stashed in the car - have been driving too many british cars in my life it seems. And, yes there is a spare fuel pump in my car, BUT not a spare accellerator cable, now I have to worry and address that .. thank you very much ..

alpine_64

Donation Time
Wow this is Ed Esslinger's old Alger! The clue to me was the 1999 SOS dash plaque on it. Pete A. in S. Dakota used to own it and he sold it to a guy in California 20 years ago. Ed put in the A/C in it and drove it everywhere.
Great car. RIP Ed
I bought one of eds voltage stabilising kits and intermittent wiper kits in either 99 or 2000 ... Still have them sitting in his envelopes...

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Wish Ed were still with us to share all his modifications and adventures with this Alger!
I heard one the other day from the Alpine S3 owner who towed Ed in this car over 100 miles with a rope when it had broken down at an early Invasion.

Ed at Daytona United 2007.JPG

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought my SIV from Ed - I don't want to think about how long ago it was. The car was rougher than the photos had suggested and the first thing Ed said when I got there was that I could walk away from the deal with no hard feelings if it was more work than I had anticipated. He was a true gentleman. I also bought one of his regulators and an interment wiper kit. I intend to install them when the time comes, even though I know there are better alternatives available now. If I can, I am also going to air condition it in honor of CoolCat Ed.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I was told the other day the fine for unattached towing is astronomical. I might have a couple cans of R12 for the buyer :)

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was told the other day the fine for unattached towing is astronomical. I might have a couple cans of R12 for the buyer :)

That depends on the state; it's OK in some and illegal in others. It mostly depends on how many "campaign donations" the emergency towing operators have made to select politicians.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have a box of "electronic" things I bought from Ed. I was only around Ed twice, but I remember tens of things he said (to me and others). "I'm not going to be making these things forever," and (I'm sure others have said this before, but I remember Ed saying it) "The internet is a place where you ask a question and get a thousand answers." (This was 20 years or so ago when the "internet" was newer.)

I bet whoever gets that car is going to be happy, happy, happy (with little to sort out). Did they even make an original automatic Tiger?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul bought his "Alger" at Invasion III, held in Georgia. Ed called the car a V8 Alpine, even though it was built using Tiger parts.
Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Technically a V-Alpine was a European delivery car the Alpine 260 . Not that it bothers me that the Tiger script fits the same holes as the Alpine ones as I understand .

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
That was my first Invasion! I remember it very well, meeting so many members for the first time. Man, I miss those Invasions. I wish there was a way to get a truly national Invasion back.