• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

**1963 SUNBEAM - ALPINE ORIGINAL FAMILY OWNED ** CLEAN - $7,350

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
No relation to seller.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/walnut-creek-1963-sunbeam-alpine/7517347111.html

00b0b_b4p0yjlZnv8z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
What a beauty! Looks like it might even be original paint and floor mats. Just beautiful.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
"Deleted." ... Gone! ...This car was almost 60 years with nearly total resistance to modification. Quite rare for an Alpine. What a beauty! Congratulations to whoever purchased this.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Rare indeed, congratulations to the new gaurdian and hope it gets past on to the next caretaker.

daiseng

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thank you. New owner and club member. The car has been sitting for maybe 20 years and apart from the newer top it's really unmodified. Plans are to keep it that way. I'm a novice at this so hopefully info and advice from the club will keep me out of trouble. Not really sure where to start. Want to rebuild brake and clutch cylinders first and go from there. Looking forward to sharing my project with you all, Felix

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Welcome and thanks for supporting our club. You have an incredible Alpine! Please keep us posted and we love photos-how about a nice one for next year's club calendar-as found?

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Felix,
You sly dog you! Glad somebody local snatched up this rare complete unmolested car! Welcome to the club.
Happy Motoring
belmateo

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Thank you. New owner and club member. The car has been sitting for maybe 20 years and apart from the newer top it's really unmodified. Plans are to keep it that way. I'm a novice at this so hopefully info and advice from the club will keep me out of trouble. Not really sure where to start. Want to rebuild brake and clutch cylinders first and go from there. Looking forward to sharing my project with you all, Felix
Also inspect/rebuild/replace clutch slave cylinder and wheel cylinders. I would completely drain clutch and brake lines of old fluid, also change engine oil and antifreeze, drain gas tanks put in new gas, replace gas filter.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor

First off, congrats! The add was deleted before I could see any photos but if it’s as original as it sounds, which is such a rarity, I would recommend you first STOP!, for just a short while and think about any modifying to the originality of the car you might be contemplating. Cars are only original once, any modification to originality forever changes that rarity. I would suggest only doing necessary repairs to make it a safe driver (ie brakes, lights, fuel leaks ect). In the last few years the appreciation of unmolested originality has really come to light and those rare as is examples are often the highlight at any car show. So much so that original cars are being presented ‘as found’ and barely cleaned up, kinda gives others that same feeling of discovering a ‘barn find’ (I watched an episode of ‘Chasing Classic Cars’ where a very expensive car was brought to a high end auction ‘as found and unmolested’ cob webs and all and still was a show stopper).

Anyhoo, that’s the way I like’em :)

alpine_64

Donation Time
After flushing all the fluids I would also suggest adding a gano filter to the top radiator hose for at least a thousand miles.. The alloy heads in these cars get a lot of corrosion in them if a good quality antifreeze hasnt been used... Check the gano filter regularly for contamination.

The steam hole gets badly corroded and the water crescents around the combustion chamber really rot badly... Tbey will open up beyond the head gasket and blow it ...very comon.

So if you plan on running the car without a tear down...full cooling system flush.. Add a filter and check rigorously

daiseng

Platinum Level Sponsor
First Drive!

1963 Series 2, single owner not driven for 20+ years…. $6000
Set of 4 tires…. $326
Resleaved clutch master and slave… $248
Rebuilt front brake calipers…. $300

Look on my kids face when I picked her up from school….

Priceless.

IMG_0374.jpg

Obviously, there were ton of extra parts I won’t mention.

Plus the 7 months of driveway wrenching which got held up at times because of the 3 months of solid rain we’ve had here in the bay area.

IMG_0516.JPG

Thanks to all club members for their informative posts.

Thank you to Rick at Sunbeam Speciaties.

Thank you to Simon at Sunbeam Supreme.

Thank you to Lazar at Apple Hydraulics.

Thank you to John at Goldline Brakes.

First drive video

Observations after driving – now I know why automatic transmissions and power steering were invented. Left leg still sore a day later, but this car is fun as hell!

List of things still not working...
Battery not charging
Horn doesn't work
Soft top needs replacing.

alpine_64

Donation Time
@daiseng

Brilliant that it's back on the road and found a great owner..

As for your daughter's overjoyed face..... It's the..." Awesome I just found my first car".... Be warned.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Observations after driving – now I know why automatic transmissions and power steering were invented. Left leg still sore a day later, but this car is fun as hell!

List of things still not working...
Battery not charging
Horn doesn't work
Soft top needs replacing.
Re the clutch...the early cars use a spring cluth vs the later series diaphragm style. The early style is a lot heavier but to me has a very positive feeling ( can be a little annoying in heavy city traffic if not used to it)
The later style is more like a modern feel.

Battery.. does the car have the original generator?
Horn can be contacts..also the original Lucas clear hooters can be sorted by opening.them and cleaning them out...not much to go wrong.

Soft top... Before replacing that check the windscreen seal and screen to body...if they are shot do them as the same time as the soft top as the top fit is impacted by the screen angle.

daiseng

Platinum Level Sponsor
Re the clutch...the early cars use a spring cluth vs the later series diaphragm style. The early style is a lot heavier but to me has a very positive feeling ( can be a little annoying in heavy city traffic if not used to it)
The later style is more like a modern feel.

Battery.. does the car have the original generator?
Horn can be contacts..also the original Lucas clear hooters can be sorted by opening.them and cleaning them out...not much to go wrong.

Soft top... Before replacing that check the windscreen seal and screen to body...if they are shot do them as the same time as the soft top as the top fit is impacted by the screen angle.
The clutch is seriously a leg work out. Both master and slave were resleaved and rebuilt, maybe that made it stiffer? Plus, I have to push all the way to the floor to get it to release. Is that normal? Will try using the forward position hole on the clutch pedal to see if that helps.

The generator is original. Battery is new. Connected to a multimeter, I can see the output voltage rise when revving the engine. Guessing it’s contacts in the voltage regulator. I’m following the wsm about testing and making adjustments.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Congrats on a beautiful S2, have you tried polarizing the voltage regulator? Also, is the car positive or negative ground?