1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

1725 air filters

Discussion in '"Stock" Alpine' started by bobbo, Jan 11, 2022.

1. bobbo

bobbo Gold Level Sponsor

looking for replacement air filters to sandwich in between my original air filter cans. Series V 1725 Strombergs.
    Have been using some Fram filters but the 6 inch OD looks odd as it is larger than the 5 3/4 inch and fairly high at 2 inches.
    Wix have a filter at 5 1/2 inch outside diameter ( # 42032 ) but it too is a little to high.
    Suggestions Appreciated.
    Bob

2. junkman

junkman Gold Level Sponsor

Sunbeam Specialties, once again.

Scotty likes this.
  3. bobbo

bobbo Gold Level Sponsor

Problem is: moving goods north across the border at high mail costs, currency exchange, and occasional import taxes.
    What I'm hoping to find is a reasonable replacement that can be had locally, up in the great white north.
    Surely there must be a filter from the likes of Fram etc. that would fit.
    No disrespect to SS or the like, I've had good results from SS and Classic. But now I just need filters.
    Bob

4. alpine_64

alpine_64 Donation Time

Bob.. Find a local triumph supllier if you domt want to import them.. The tr6 and 4 used the strombergs.. So filter should be the same

bobbo likes this.
  5. Durhamguy

Durhamguy Platinum Level Sponsor

Bob, I have been checking for you but so far haven't found anything. I will keeping looking.

6. Hodee

Hodee Donation Time

I use a K&N filter for Harley Davidson. Perfect circumference but just a tad taller. Not sure of the model number.

7. alpine_64

alpine_64 Donation Time

They Will work.. Maybe there is a paper filter for the harley? Make sure the K&N is well oiled or they don't do much filtering

8. bobbo

bobbo Gold Level Sponsor

Thanks for all input. I'll be using filter for the 65-66 GTO. a Wix # 42032. 5.5 diam. at 1.9 high.
    Cheers, Bob

9. Jay Laifman

Jay Laifman Gold Level Sponsor

Original 1725 air filter cans? At least on my car, the filters were all one piece, with the metal bonded to the filter, and a breather pipe. And two little tubes inside so that they don't compress when tightened. I never saw any cans that had replaceable filters.

I did once cut apart a set, and found a Harley Davidson motorcycle filter that fit exactly right. But the metal itself from the cut filters was too flimsy.

10. bobbo

bobbo Gold Level Sponsor

Picked up my filters yesterday from a local auto parts supplier. the Wix 42032 fit the cans just fine, but as with the Harley filters Jay mentioned, they are also a little higher. So new taller spacers will go in over the filter mounting studs, so as not to deform the filters on assembly.
    Cheers