• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1592cc core block wanted - Australia

alpine_64

Donation Time
Im looking for a core 1592 for a build. Anything considered up to .060 over.

Location on east coast of Australia or south Australia.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm looking for a core 1592 for a build. Anything considered up to .060 over.

Location on east coast of Australia or south Australia.

I'm a long way from you! But I have a couple early Series Engines in which the condition is basically unknown. Both internal components rotate freely.

When you are asking for the core, can I assume you mean the block with bearing caps?

I could disassemble and have the block tested for cracks or wear. Also willing to make the core a gift to you.... To Keep'em-on-the-ROAD

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bernd, Can you post a pic of your wheels on your Alpine? I believe I have a set like them....

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Found a picture which shows them a bit better - just disregard the crappy Tigers in front of the Series 1 :D

IMG_20180729_152639.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Dan, thanks for a very generous offer! I will however gracefully decline as the shipping cost even for a bare block here would be prohibitive u less there were none local.

I am going to be using the core for a new motor for the race car...

So i guess its " keep'em on the track!"

As a side note.. Iirc the SII alpine used a forged crank unlike the other 3 main engines. This was as a response to issues on the si but was decided was not needed by series 3.

Does anyone have part numbers handy for the various cranks to confirm this?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Best wishes to you and the Racing Alpine:)

I'll not be doing away with the engines if I can help it!

Same offer applies to anyone in need! Just don't want to lose them to a scrap yard.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Michael,

was always under the impression that S2-4 cranks were all the same. At least the parts book confirms this under part# 5220579 (up to early S4 B 94100377). From there onwards part# 52200833.
The S1 of course was different , part # 5107304/5109388. Smaller journals .
All of them were dropped forged coded "EN 16".
Weird is that parts book states all of them could be replaced with # 5221011.

To DanR : Please never ever throw away any early engines :rolleyes: I'm also just rebuilding a 1600cc ...

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael,

was always under the impression that S2-4 cranks were all the same. At least the parts book confirms this under part# 5220579 (up yearly S4 B 94100377). From there onwards part# 52200833.
The S1 of course was different , part # 5107304/5109388. Smaller journals .
All of them were dropped forged coded "EN 16".
Weird is that parts book states all of them could be replaced with # 5221011.

Bernd, thanks for the follow up, i knew they switched to the forged crank for SII but i thought i recalled them swithcing back after.

Anyway... As long as they have an EN16 marking it'll be fine. Would have them heat treated and trudfided anyway... But always look for the best core you can.

A while back there was a 1725 alpine racing in the UK that came up for sale with apparently a billet crank....

Im working on getting a group together for alpine racers globally so we can share info and maybe go in for runs of bespoke parts... BMC and Triumph.. Alfa and Fiat guys have lots of off the shelf performance parts... We need to be more creative.... But group efforts could get us some good parts. Some of us have bespoke parts in the cars...but if we all get together we can perhaps make them better or at least more economical.

Im thinking some aluminium flywheels, alloy pulleys and maybe billet cranks.... If we can find consensus we could have them done to straight accept chev rods or even have basic cores done and people machiene to their desired parts.... Or offsets....