1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

1592 for Racing

Discussion in 'Rootes Racing' started by jdoclogan, Apr 20, 2020.

1. bernd_st

bernd_st Bronze Level Sponsor

Think we were talking about flat top pistons readily available from the market for a Rootes engine application. There is no doubt that forged and lighter pistons requiring heavy modifications could be a better match to full race requirements. For those, however desiring fast road reliable engines w/o big mods the JP flat tops could be interesting though. That's why we have investigated about them. By the way, even the Holbay +120 HP engines used cast flat tops. Will crosscheck your weight statement for 0.040" STD piston . Think they are definitely heavier - all in - than the JP's...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  2. spmdr

spmdr Donation Time

Jerry, It looks like you are close to building an engine or 2, tell us what you have decided and what performance you hope for.

DW

3. spmdr

spmdr Donation Time

At this point, I have almost talked myself into building a 1592 engine.

However, it would displace "at least" 1725cc.

I already have the rods, and pistons are on order.

But, when I ordered the pistons, I planned to build a 1725 with a stock stroke.

So to easily use the pistons, I need to grind the 1592 crank to a 1725, 3.250" stroke.

Fortunately, there is JUST enough meat in the crank to do that with the smaller

big end of the aftermarket rods I have.

Seeing I need to custom grind the crank to use the rods I have, picking a longer stroke

is a no cost benefit.

DW

4. spmdr

spmdr Donation Time

The Racetec Pistons came in, FINALLY!

The Spec sheet says the Weight is 308g!

IMG_20220622_130853245.jpg

jdoclogan likes this.
  5. Warren

Warren Bronze Level Sponsor

I prefer my skirts short as well :)

6. alpine_64

alpine_64 Donation Time

Dan they look great... And the weight saving is good too..
    What deck height clearance will the rod / piston combo be running? Did you deck the block or stock deck height?

7. spmdr

spmdr Donation Time

The pistons are -.005 from nominal Zero Deck.

We'll see where I end up with the short block build(s).

I usually run Zero Deck clearance.