• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

14" wire wheels

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
This is my son's Series IV. It is on 14" MGB wheels and hubs supplied by MWS with Dunlop Street Response 2 175/70R 14 T tyres.
The lower profile tyre on the larger wheel gives a small (just under 2%) increase in overall tyre diameter. MWS Technical staff told us that the wheel and tyre set up was correct and fine for an Alpine. The inner rim of the MGB wheel will run 4/5mm closer to the suspension strut and the outer rim will protrude by 8/9mm more than the standard 13" Alpine wire wheel. These are very small differences and are not noticeable in daily driving. The car looks lovely with the wheels filling the arches nicely.

Tim R

View attachment 24615 View attachment 24616 View attachment 24617
Wow. What a beautiful car!

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
@DanR - I don't know. I just found those pictures online.

@Tim R - You said they sold you hubs too. Were those MGB hubs converted for Alpines? Or some bolt on conversion? Or Alpine wire wheel hubs?

Last edited:

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Jay, They are not bolt ons, they are normal Alpine hubs, no conversion.

Here is the receipt for a set of new Alpine Hubs and a set of 14" MGB wire wheels. Everything fits correctly and it all works well. It is possible that there is a difference of some kind between original MGB wheels and Alpine hubs and the only reason that this works is because it is all new from MWS but I don't think so.

The MWS technical department are first class and very helpful, if you have a query just call or e-mail them. I nearly bought a wider (5.5) 72 spoke wire wheel that they call a Tiger wheel (even though Tigers never had wires originally) but I decided that I preferred the 4.5 60 spoke version.

You can match up the part numbers with what is shown on the MWS website to see what we bought. In England (or anywhere in Europe) we can't get decent chrome anymore but these wheels are chromed in India (so it its done as it used to be) and the spokes are stainless. They are very high quality, well made product.

Tim R

IMG_2525.jpeg

MWS Receipt.png

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Jay, They are not bolt ons, they are normal Alpine hubs, no conversion.

Here is the receipt for a set of new Alpine Hubs and a set of 14" MGB wire wheels. Everything fits correctly and it all works well. It is possible that there is a difference of some kind between original MGB wheels and Alpine hubs and the only reason that this works is because it is all new from MWS but I don't think so.

The MWS technical department are first class and very helpful, if you have a query just call or e-mail them. I nearly bought a wider (5.5) 72 spoke wire wheel that they call a Tiger wheel (even though Tigers never had wires originally) but I decided that I preferred the 4.5 60 spoke version.

You can match up the part numbers with what is shown on the MWS website to see what we bought. In England (or anywhere in Europe) we can't get decent chrome anymore but these wheels are chromed in India (so it its done as it used to be) and the spokes are stainless. They are very high quality, well made product.

Tim R

View attachment 24639

View attachment 24638
My experience with MWS wasn't so positive. I called them to inquire about replacement wheels for my series V. I specificially asked the person who took my call (a lady) that I really wanted to buy 14 inch and specifically asked if the MGB wheels were compatible. She said "no" and that mounting them on an Alpine was "not recommended". With that advice, I ordered 13" Alpine wheels, painted silver grey. Getting suitable tires was a problem, but that's another story. the wheels are good quality and work well, but an old set of MGB wheels I got later make me happier.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
The person I spoke with was called Jason Cox and he couldn't have been more knowledgeable or helpful. He sent 5 or 6 e mails including diagrams and calculations showing the differences between various width wheels and different profile tyres.

Tim R

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I just picked up a pair of MGB 14" wheels. Here are my observations so far:
  • As we know, the MGB wheel is 4.5" wide, and the Alpine wheel is 4" wide.
  • All of that .5" is on the back side of the wheel when mounted. The front edge of the rim is at the same point relative to the fender as the Alpine rim. I don't know if that means the inside of the tire will hit on the front when the steering is all the way one way.
  • Many have said that the angle of the back side of the MGB wheel is different than the Alpine one - so the MGB wheel will not match up to the Alpine hub. However, my initial measurements show them to be exactly the same. My angle measurements are not perfect yet. But, nothing is visible to the human eye when I use an adjustable angle.
  • The back circle on the MGB hub (where the spokes attach) is actually smaller in diameter than the Alpine one. So it means longer spokes because of the smaller back circle, in addition to longer spokes because of the 14" rim.
  • And the most critical part, the MGB hub is 1/4" longer than the Alpine. Still left is just how much thread for the spinner is left without that 1/4".
I will say that I always loved MG TC's and their big wire wheels - and always thought the Alpine should have bigger wire wheels, like the MGB. And we know that the Alpine was originally designed for 14" wheels. However, I also always liked the Italian cars with their short wires.

More to follow.

Last edited:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I was finally able to put the MGB wheel on. For the number of rotations of the spinner:

Alpine wheel: 6.5 rotations
MGB wheel: 4 rotations.

So now the question is if 4 rotations is really enough.

JackSun

Diamond Level Sponsor
Are Austin Healey & TR - 4 wires the same as MGB ? Sure seems like 4 revs is quite slim ?
Had a wheel almost spin off an AH …..scary deal .

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I would not attempt to run those with only 4 rotations equaling "4 Threads" if I am understanding you correctly.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Yes four threads. That is what everyone here who is running the wheels are doing.

I also feel like 4 threads is not enough. But stock is only 6 threads. I don’t know if that is material.

I will try to find out. My whole point is that I know people do it ( and MG midget guys do it). So some think it is ok. I have been trying to know exactly the reason and see if it is truly valid.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Compare to the stock Alpine.....if comparable then I might be OK, if not, No Way....

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
4 =2/3 to 6= 3/3 less 1/3 support?

I would still say no way I'd drive with them.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
People do strange things; several years ago I put a complete MGB rear in my Series II and drove it for about 2 years w/o any problem.
I did have to modify the drive shaft and weld on tabs to mount the lower shock stud . If I recall the rear gear is 3.91 ratio and the overall width is
just slightly wider than the Alpine. which meant the small opening on the MG ,axle to Alpine spring, had to be opened just a bit to fit them together
and put the u-bolts in correct alignment. This was cheap to do and there was NO MORE GEAR NOISE .
I don't rec. to anyone but it worked well for me until I decided to do the v6 conversion. W/ a million or so MGB's sold in the US, rear ends are not rare.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't have a dog in this fight, just posting as a disinterested (not the same as uninterested) observer and engineer.

Four is not comparable to six and 4 threads is not comparable to 6 threads, but I don't think those are either the correct questions or answers.

IMO, the correct question is "Do 4 threads of engagement between Series Alpine wire wheel hubs and Series Alpine quick release hub nuts provide adequate retention with MGB wire wheels." Adequate to me meaning that no parts break, that the MGB wire wheels don't get loose or fall off in "normal" use and that the quick release hub nuts can be routinely removed / reinstalled without damage.

The "wire wheel retention force" is the clamping force that results from tightening a quick release hub nut on a wire wheel hub. OTBE, the clamping force of a threaded fastener is proportional to the applied torque. The number of engaged threads makes no difference with regards to the clamping force. If a Series Alpine quick release hub nut with 4 threads of engagement on Series Alpine wire wheel hubs is tightened to the same torque as a Series Alpine quick release hub nut with 6 threads of engagement on Series Alpine wire wheel hubs, then the resultant clamping force should be the same.

The obvious follow-on questions are:

What is the correct torque value for a Series Alpine quick release hub nut on a Series Alpine wire wheel hub with a Series Alpine wire wheel?

Note that "a couple of good whacks with a 4 lb. copper hammer" is not a torque value.

I have seen an online reference to 220 lb.-ft., but the source of that information was not provided.​

Can a Series Alpine quick release hub nut with 4 threads of engagement on a Series Alpine wire wheel hub with MGB wire wheels be tightened to the correct torque value for a Series Alpine quick release hub nut on a Series Alpine wire wheel hub?

A classic case of "try it and see what happens." I would feel better if the "four thread" setup could be repeatedly tightened to twice the normal torque value and then loosened with no visible damage. I have no idea what torque value will result in damage to the wire wheel center. A good use for a wire wheel with worn out splines.​

Is a Series Alpine quick release hub nut with 4 threads of engagement on a Series Alpine wire wheel hub tightened to the correct Series Alpine torque value a durable combination with MGB wire wheels?

Will the quick release hub nut come loose? Will the engaged threads fail? Will the Series Alpine wire wheel hub fail? Another case of "try it and see what happens." Think I would "try it and see" in an abandoned shopping mall parking lot or equivalent.

The answers do not matter much for a trailer queen, but are uber important for a car that is actually driven.​

All of this is JMO and I admit to having as many questions as answers.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Great thoughts Barry. But that's because they go to directly is 4 comparable to 6. That's exactly what I meant. Are they comparable for the requirements needed. So do they allow for comparable torque?

And note that I'm not the first. There are lots of folks out there running with these and MWS will specifically sell the MGB wheel for Alpine owners and tell the it's good. They are actually driven. No one has reported problems. But I don't think that is enough.

In addition getting enough torque, I'm worried about it retaining torque. Could it lose torque because (1) there isn't enough friction holding the spinner in place or (2) the smaller depth of threads means there can be more flexing and thus causing loosening.

I do note that the surface area of 4 rotations on one nut is easily enough measured. And so is the surface area of a small lug nut (0f which there are four on a wheel). My guess is that 4 rotations of one spinner has more surface area than four full lug nuts.

I have NO IDEA the answer to these questions. I have NO IDEA if they are the right questions. All I know is I would like to run the 14" wires wheels, but I won't do it unless I get more comfort.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
How hard would it be to mill a couple of mm off the top of the MG wheel to get the two turns back? Or would that prevent the hub nut from properly engaging with the wheel?