• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. SIVAllan

Correct wheel trim

I have a “crossover” Tiger originality question. My Tiger has both round and square corners and a very low VIN (B382….91) I - hallmarks Of a “crossover” from the Mark 1 Tigers to Mark 1a Tigers. The question involves stock wheel trim. Was the crisscross-cross pattern correct for the...
  2. SIVAllan

Odd generator bracket fitting

So I started removing dust and grime from the MK1a's engine bay - getting ready to drive to SUNI. The generator bracket has a small "P" fitting hidden beneath hoses that I haven't noticed before - any idea what it's for? There isn't much in the area needing its own fastener and it doesn't...
  3. SIVAllan

Series I temp sender questions

I am hooking up gauges on a Series I v6 conversion that's been underway off 'n on for quite a while. A couple of questions linger as I address hooking up the temperature sender. The late Alpine gauge being used draws power on late series Alpines from an under-the-dash current regulator...
  4. SIVAllan

Tiger wall poster

Need a Tiger poster for a shop wall...
  5. SIVAllan

Wood pieces for steering wheel

PM a reasonable offer if interested. The pieces came off of a Tiger steering wheel. The Tiger sat in an unheated barn for many years. The steering wheel fell apart with these pieces falling to the floor. The steering wheel (without any wood) is also available. The steering wheel hub is in...
  6. SIVAllan

2.8L v6 cam journal sizes

So I decided to swap the camshaft in my Series I's 1979, 2.8L Ford v6 for something less aggressive. While "shopping online" I discovered that cams are scarce for early engines with "early" and "late" defined by the size of their cam journals. From what I could find on the internet, early...
  7. SIVAllan

Atlanta British Motorcar Day

The annual Atlanta British Motorcar Day has been scheduled for Sept. 4, 2021. Details at: https://atlantabritishmotorcarday.org/
  8. SIVAllan

Identifying 2.8 vs 2.6

So I'm preparing to get back to my Series I 2.8 conversion after a lengthy delay. Not much left to do besides the gauges and resolve another Holley carb needle valve issue (that stalled the conversion in the first place). Meanwhile the phone rings and a guy has a free (me to come get it) v6...
  9. SIVAllan

SIV axle

I'm helping a friend get a Series IV Alapine back on the road. It's going to be his daily driver. The last big hurdle is rear-of-the-car noise. ... As in a *lot* of noise. It just about has to be coming from the pumpkin. He has a Series V parts car so I'm thinking we could just swap out the...
  10. SIVAllan

Netflix v6

Watching Rust Valley Restorers on Netflix - a series about two western Canadians running a salvage yard for choice cars - and the few that they restore. In the last episode they uncover a Series 1 Alpine and put a v6 in it ...
  11. SIVAllan

Identify these wheels?

A friend bought a set of these wheels at an estate sale but doesn't know the brand. I don't either but would guess they are Panasports with the familiar 4 x 108 lug pattern. Can anyone verify this, or or if not, identify them correctly? Thanks in advance, -Allan Ballard Series I Alpine...
  12. SIVAllan

v6 performance dyno

Hello, I have a v6 dyno chart in my file but no info on where it came from. Does anyone recognize it? Thanks in advance,
  13. SIVAllan

Holley 390 cfm woes

I have a brand new Holley 390 cfm carb on my Alpine's 2.8 v6. I hope someone proficient with carbs can solve its "riddle." It's been a problem right out of the box. Initially, the front needle jet was sticking so I replaced it. (I've had the needle jet problem with several Holleys.)...
  14. SIVAllan

SUNI

Will there be a SUNI this year?
  15. SIVAllan

Headliner redcommendation

Can anyone recommend a shop that can install a late series hardtop headliner? I'm in the Atlanta area but could drive for a reasonable distance and drop off/pick up the hardtop. Please pm me if you have a recommendation. TIA,
  16. SIVAllan

Alpine oil cooler and v6?

Has anyone fitted an Alpine oil cooler to their 2.8l v6, and determined if it is helpful enough to be worth the trouble? I talked to a guy today who is installing one on an Alpine v8 conversion - on the theory that every small bit of additional cooling power helps. Possibly an oil cooler...
  17. SIVAllan

Highlands Motoring Festival - annual show

https://highlandsmotoringfestival.com/ So far two Sunbeams are registered that I know of, including one of mine. Hope to see you there :)
  18. SIVAllan

Genuine Rootes accesory bars

'Here's a picture of "genuine Rootes accessory bars." They are used for mounting fog and spot lights, and badges. I've not seen them before and thought to repost the picture for general comment. I spotted the picture on a Facebook group. Perhaps someone knows more about factory accessory bars.
  19. SIVAllan

Torque curve tinkering

I finished reading Bill Carroll's Ford Cobra Guide (1964 Sports Car Press). Toward the end, an interview with Ken Miles is presented with Miles discussing a few tricks of the trade in tuning engines. Specifically he mentions moving the torque curve up or down by changing the timing and valve...
  20. SIVAllan

Bits and pieces

Here's a site I stumbled upon featuring some British car odds and ends, including the headlight ground piece that screws to the chassis and usually rots away. http://www.paulparts.at/contents/en-uk/d55_CablePipeClips.html Postage from Vienna is a little steep.