• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Eleven

Bent Soft Top B Post

I think it is the B Post, the main support for the top that swivels up. Mine will not slot in the chrome piece behind the drivers door. I know this has been discussed before but I cannot find the post. Can anyone direct me to it? Am at a loss trying to correct the problem. Thanks!
  2. Eleven

Turn Signal Issue

My right turn signal has stopped working. I have pulled and checked all the light bulbs and compared them against replacement types from Sunbeam Specialties; all matched. Found one possible burned out bulb on the left parking light and replaced it. Replaced the blinker "can" under the dash and...
  3. Eleven

Compression ratio

I hope this is the right forum. On another thread about flat top pistons, I said that without any other changes, they were a waste of time. Another Member disagreed with good points; increasing compression increases horsepower but timing may have to be retarded to control pinging. JE Pistons...
  4. Eleven

DGV Question

67 SV 32/36 Manual Choke DGV My car has always been hard starting but yesterday was a trial. Lots of cranking and nothing. Pulled the air filter (not clogged) and drippled a very small amount of gas into the driver side venturi. After a few coughs it started fine and ran great as always. I...
  5. Eleven

Distributor Cap Question

SV is still hard starting. I read another thread on rotors and wondered about mine. The posted video on The Alpine Channel got me thinking about mine. It is a Pertronix distributor about 10 years old but operationally it has less than 100 hours, probably a lot less than that. Cap and rotor are...
  6. Eleven

Starter

I suspect my starter is affecting my ignition. Car is very hard to start cold. So, my questions are; Can a starter draw too much current, if defective, and affect the ignition? I don't have a tool to measure how many amps it is using and have been warned not to use my multi-meter as it will...
  7. Eleven

Wheels wanted

I am converting away from wires and need steel wheels (at least 4). Thanks!
  8. Eleven

selling my SV

Having some surgery and other issues so, with a heavy heart, I have to sell my 1967 SV. Just cannot work on it anymore. Suspension re-bushed front and rear. Master Cylinder, calipers and rear brakes rebuilt including new pads and shoes.. Pertonix and Weber upgrades. Flat top pistons. Car was...
  9. Eleven

Free Wire wheels and tires

I have 5 wire wheels with Kumho tires (about 70% remaining tread). Spine condition unknown. They were on my car that I am changing over to aluminum. These are free for nothing if you want them. I am in the Seattle, Washington area.
  10. Eleven

Wheel lugs

I need 10 wheel lugs for a stock SV. I will take what you have if you have less. Thank you!
  11. Eleven

Gear Reduction Starter

I am going to replace my current starter with a Gear Reduction one. My search of the site appears to recommend an Isuzu Trooper model but I cannot find the part number or year of car I need to order it. Any help will be much appreciated! Thank you!
  12. Eleven

The Joys of Hub Pulling

Trying to remove my right rear hub. Have a puller on it cranked as hard as I can get and have been spending my windy rainy Seattle days pointing a heat gun at it. I can probably get it off if I want to pull the axle but am too lazy for that. There is no question here, just me sitting in my...
  13. Eleven

Flat topped pistons vs dished

It is my understanding that all Alpine Series came with dished pistons. Mine are flat. I have a very late SV (October 67 build date). Nothing on my engine (matching numbers) looks modified but I also do not know if the engine was ever rebuilt, so I am wondering if Sunbeam ran out of Series...
  14. Eleven

Clutch Question

My SV has been getting progressively worse getting it into reverse and first/second gear. Finally got very bad the other day coming home. Jammed it into first and got home via double de-clutching, rolling stops and a lot of middle finger encouragement from other drivers. Checking the Master...
  15. Eleven

Fuel Tank Top Crossover

Just got done R & R'ing my SV tanks. Always had a bad gas smell in the car and could not trace. Turns out that the top crossover line was broken in the body. Mine had a solid fuel line (beyond me how they got it in) and it had broken in the middle. I can't get it out. Right now am running a...
  16. Eleven

Starter Testing

How do I test the starter with my multi-meter for how much it is drawing? If it is drawing more that it should, that will reduce available power to ignition, right?
  17. Eleven

Head Lights

One of my head lights has gone out and I need a replacement. Sunbeam Specialties has a Lucas tri pod for $90! Surely there is a sealed beam or plug and play for a lot cheaper than that. I don't drive the car at night and have no interest or skill in adding relays and such to handle a more...
  18. Eleven

Hard Starting and hotter spark plugs

My SV has always been hard to start; yesterday it just refused. Wires are new, spark plugs have less than 100 miles on them and are a light tan. Head gasket new, valves adjusted and rechecked. Pertronix Distributor and an internally ballasted Coil. Weber 32/36, manual choke. Timing correct...
  19. Eleven

Crankcase Ventilation System

Would anyone post a photo of the PCV plumbing on an SV with a Weber? I think I have a duff valve but also think I have it plumbed wrong. Car idles crappy. I have a Sunbeam Specialties intake manifold with the Weber. Side tappet plate tube to the intake manifold. Oil fill pipe to the air...
  20. Eleven

Wheel Studs

I am getting close to converting my wires to solid wheels. I thought I saw a post once that mentioned a specific spline (right word?) pattern for the part of the stud that inserts into the hub. I have to buy all new studs. is there something I need to look for? Thanks!