• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. todd reid

Question for the brain trust

Series V- 2.8 V6 - stock Motorcraft 2bbl carb - Carter Electric fuel pump. I have the Alpine up on jack stands after my winter project (a story for another day). After charging the battery I fired it up with the intention of getting it up to operating temperature. It ran on high idle for a...
  2. todd reid

Quad 4

I just read an interesting article by a guy who put an HO Quad 4 (190 HP) in a Pontiac Fiero. It reminded me that there was a fellow on here several years ago (Rich ???) working on putting one in a Sunbeam. Does anybody know/remember what became of him or the car? I was wondering if the car...
  3. todd reid

Anybody Going to the TE/AE United?

Trying to decide if I want to go. The organizers mentioned driving over the GW Bridge in last months Rootes Review. That would not be the route I would suggest. TR
  4. todd reid

Wheels "leaking"grease

I drove my car (Series V) to work last week (100 mi round trip). The next day I noticed small lines of grease running out of the lug holes and center caps of both front Panasports. I assume (always dangerous!) that this is wheel bearing grease. Looking at the manual, there appears to be a...
  5. todd reid

Oil Article in lastest TE/AE newsletter

Bob, Your our resident oil expert. What are your thoughts on the author's recommendations? TR
  6. todd reid

The Perfect Compliment to your Sunbeam

Presumably most everyone here is fond of Sunbeams. I've has mine for 38 years. I really enjoy it, but it does have it's drawbacks - limited seating, noise, weather protection, etc. Consequently, I have always had a second car - usually late model, reliable, boring, Detroit iron. Recently, I...
  7. todd reid

Distributor drive issue

I am contemplating pulling my original points distributor and switching over to a Duraspark as my winter project. Before doing so, I have a question for the brain trust here at SAOCA. The last time I pulled my distributor (to install my 5 speed trans) I had a hell of a time putting it back...
  8. todd reid

Anybody rebuilt a Lockheed Servo?

I jumped in the Alpine last night to go pick up Pizza for dinner (round trip of approx. 8 miles - low speed - lots of stop signs). A couple miles from home, I felt like the car didn't want go. Pulled over to investigate and could smell brakes. Brake pedal was rock hard. Turned engine off and...
  9. todd reid

Steering column cover

I am looking for input from the sunbeam brain trust. I spent all winter stripping and refinishing an aftermarket wood rim steering wheel I bought on ebay so that it would match my homemade wood dash. The wheel came with a mounting hub. I just installed everything in my Series V last night...
  10. todd reid

Brain Teaser

More fun with Lucas Electrics! I recently rewired my horns due to insulation breaking down on 48 year old wiring. New wire run from fuse block to horns and from horns to under dash connection with turn signal wiring harness. Tested things in garage - OK. Drove car to work (48 miles) no...
  11. todd reid

question for the electrial gurus

When we last chatted, my temp guage was reading full hot even with a cold engine. I solved that (with your help - thanks again) by running a new wire to the temp sender. So yesterday I take my first trip of 2013 in the Sunbeam. I drove it to work (approx 50 mi) with no problems. Leaving to...
  12. todd reid

electrical help - temp gauge

I could use some help from our resident electrical gurus: My temp gauge moves swiftly up to appox 210 degrees whenever the key is rotated to the run position - even when the engine is off and stone cold. fuel gauge does not follow suit - goes to approx. 2 gal and stops - which is probably...
  13. todd reid

windshield wiper motor - read this!

My motor was dead. The recommended rebuilder has a 2 month waiting list. I find a rebuilt one on ebay and take the plunge. 3 days later it arrives in the mail. The inner box is labeled "Sunbeam Tiger-Late" and "FORD GT 40" !!! I open the box and it is the correct motor. I may never own a...
  14. todd reid

plastic cubby surround

Anyone have an extra they can part with? I had a senior moment and broke mine while accessing wiper motor. Color not important - I will paint. Thanks in advance!
  15. todd reid

windshield wiper electrical circuit

The wipers in my Series V have stopped working. The way I am reading the wiring schematic, the motor is always getting power (from the green wire) and the switch is actually completing the ground. Can one of the electrical guru's out there confirm I am understanding the circuit correctly...
  16. todd reid

2.8 V6 Distributor oil leak

I noticed I have a small puddle of oil were the dizzy mounts to the block. I found an exploded diagram in one of my books that seems to show an O-ring or gasket between the body of the dizzy and the engine block (I have nothing there now). Does anyone know what Ford used when the cars were...
  17. todd reid

2.8 V6 Questions

I have a couple of questions for the experts. I am just finishing up a transmission swap. I had the car running (still on jackstands) over the weekend but wasn't happy with the position of the vacuum advance chamber on the distributor. I pulled the distributor last night with the intention of...
  18. todd reid

59 Rapier

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150596991258&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT This is the first time I have attempted to copy a link. Check out the engine in this car. The valve cover does not appear to be the traditional Rootes rectangle. Any thoughts...
  19. todd reid

Ford Pilot bearing removal

The next step is to remove the Capri pilot bearing. Do I try the grease & dowel method or stop at Harbor Freight for a pilot bushing puller? What method do you guys use?
  20. todd reid

Advice needed

I have successfully removed my Capri 4 speed transmission without damaging myself or the car! I wasn't sure if it could be done with the engine in place, since it was installed already attached to the engine. It was tight, but I managed. First lesson: Get the car as high off the ground as...