• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. jdoclogan

The Simpson/Collins 289 Tiger on BAT

I see Bret Simpson's former Tiger that Dennis Collins purchased is now on BAT. Apparently, as I viewed the Worldwide auction in January, it did not sale for $57,000 bid after the auction. The Tiger is at the Collins Brothers Jeep dealership in Texas...
  2. jdoclogan

Carb/Exhaust Configurations for Dyno test

Getting closer to a Dyno test on Street and Race 1592 engines. These are the Carb configurations: Left to Right: 32/36 Weber 38/38 Weber 38 Weber DOCEs 40 Dellortos 45 Weber DOCEs I will also test three different exhaust headers: My 4 into 1 Atalla header and stock header
  3. jdoclogan

Rootes Rally Driver Rosemary Smith

Irish Motorsport Legend Rosemary Smith passes, aged 86. Dublin, Ireland - December 5 2023 Rosemary Smith, born on 7 August 1937, has passed away peacefully today at the Beacon Hospital in Dublin. Rosemary etched her name in the annals of motorsport history as a pioneering rally driver from...
  4. jdoclogan

#41 Engine ready for run-in startup

I've installed #41 engine for start and test. Note: Unique to the Factory Works Sebring Alpines were the two (2) blade fan and the generator heat protector.
  5. jdoclogan

Tiger for Sale on BAT.

Longtime friends Roger and Kim Burrill have another completely restored Tiger listed for sale around 8am this morning on BAT (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-sunbeam-tiger-48/) NO RESERVE. This is over the fifteenth Tiger restoration they have completed. I heard the fresh engine after...
  6. jdoclogan

New owner at Sunbeam Specialties (repeat posting)

This item was published in the October/November 2023 newsletter from the Pacific Tiger Club where I'm a member. Late News! It's official. Rick McLeod has sold Sunbeam Specialties to Patrick & Kelly King, long time Sunbeam enthusiasts. Patrick is currently President of STOA.
  7. jdoclogan

New owner at Sunbeam Specialties

This item was published in the October/November 2023 newsletter from the Pacific Tiger Club where I'm a member. Late News! It's official. Rick McLeod has sold Sunbeam Specialties to Patrick & Kelly King, long time Sunbeam enthusiasts. Patrick is currently President of STOA. Rick McLeod...
  8. jdoclogan

Initial Startup of New Numbers Matching Le Mans engine

I just posted videos. Initial adjustments at start up: Note: my red towel "throttle adjuster" needed to be move because of burning as it rested against the exhaust. Sweet sound of exhaust: Temperature readings during break-in: This is with the high flow head and the newly designed 4 into...
  9. jdoclogan

Note new thread in Harrington Alpine section

Great update on my Promotional Harrington Le mans as a race car in the Harrington Alpine section. https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/new-information-on-promotional-harrington-le-mans.32103/
  10. jdoclogan

New information on Promotional Harrington Le Mans

Incredible contact over this past weekend. A sports car enthusiast, Richard, reached out to Jim Stone, our President, about trying to find Greg Vederoff, the original owner/race driver of my Promotional Harrington Le Mans. Via their communication I was able to have a phone conversation with...
  11. jdoclogan

Making progress On Stetina #21

Working on a component twice and sometimes three times. Sheesh! But, #21 is coming along. Working on the car was a challenge. Took out #21's 4:55 LSD rear end (after working with it in the car for hours discovering it had some funky backing plates and some internal grinds that became...
  12. jdoclogan

SI and SII front shocks

What are the front shocks being used?
  13. jdoclogan

Timing Chain tensioner rubber

Oil has been a topic multiple times throughout my membership. This is my first finding of what I suspect to be engine oil additives seriously impacting the rubber timing chain tensioner. It swelled and broke apart. I forgot to take a photo of the oil pump screen (it was clogged with massive...
  14. jdoclogan

Modern Hydraulic Clutch slave

Tom13 brought forth a modern hydraulic clutch slave system in a previous thread about lightened flywheels: For the Toyota clutch disc, however, I used a modified release lever...
  15. jdoclogan

#21 Stetina Lightened flywheel

Having a community of Sunbeam enthusiasts, with a strong communication linkage through SAOCA, is an amazing benefit. My recent acquisition of a race prepared alpine engine via this site has proven to be a gain for putting together the Roy Stetina #21 1960s racing Alpine. As the engine came in...
  16. jdoclogan

Oil pump drive gear/shaft

Working on excellent (checked end play and rotating clearances) 1725 oil pumps I have for two 1592 engine builds (#41 Sebring and Harrington Le Mans). I noted different lengths in the drive gear to distributor slot on these 1725 oil pumps. Comments appreciated. Also, what is the technique...
  17. jdoclogan

4 cylinder 340 HP and 500 lb-ft of torque

Why am I mucking around trying to achieve 135 to 150 HP engine for an Alpine when I could have a "Turbo 4." Amazing what technology and engineering can potentially bring to the masses. The price is probably more than the cost of the highest price ever paid for a Sunbeam Alpine ($33,000). But...
  18. jdoclogan

Head flow test results

Andrew Gibson at Gibson performance completed the flow test for an Alpine head with various valve configurations. Here are the results: And the winners are: Flow test #3 INTAKE uses a Datsun diesel valve - LD28 Provides 21.5 to 22.5 % increase vs stock at .400" to .450" lift Flow...
  19. jdoclogan

Series V shipping from Chicago

The fun of finding a transporter. The Nordby Series V located North of Chicago needed shipped to North Spokane Washington (1765 miles). I had over a dozen responses to my internet inquiries. These were mainly booking agents soliciting off a national board for a driver & transporter. I had...
  20. jdoclogan

Need shipping suggestions

I bought the Todd Nordby Alpine located in the Chicago area. I live in Spokane, Washington area. Any suggestions for a reliable shipping company would be appreciated. Cheers Jerry Logan