• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. H

What's it worth?

I looked at a Talbot 90 drophead today. It's a nice amateur restoration. The owner died a year ago so not much additional info. He had installed a 5 speed (origin unknown) behind the stock engine (his son, a machinist made an adapter plate). Runs well, or seems to. Damage to...
  2. H

Alpine engine in a Minx

Some years ago, I sold my Minx drophead to a local guy. Not being the smartest person, he ignored the gauges when they quit working and put a rod through the block. Then he complained about not having the cash for a rebuilt engine, yada, yada... I suggested swapping in an Alpine engine that I...
  3. H

For you Canadians to enjoy

No connection, it's 300+ miles away https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/369619940881244/
  4. H

Lifting on pinch weld?

I have a 2 post lift. I've always positioned the arm so that the front lift is on the frame outrigger and the rear on the spring mount. Today a friend broght his MGB over to to a bit underneath. I suggested he position the lift arms so that any damage was his fault. He put them under the...
  5. H

SV Fuel crossover pipe wanted

Anybody got the center section with connector for fuel line? email: awmcgregor at sasktel.net phone or text: 639-471-7742 (please leave message as I don't always carry it) Edit to add: PM is fine too
  6. H

SV Fuel crossover

After losing my SII in a fire 2 years ago, I lost ambition for Alpines (amd everything else). About 6 weeks ago I got some and decided to get my SV V6 on the road. Tried to get it running in my storage place and low and behold it finally dawned on me to put some gas in it. Did so and it...
  7. H

Maybe a dumb question, blowing V6 fuel lines?

I tried to start my Cologne V6 Alpine today for the first time in about 4 years. I've neglected it for a variety of reasons but just want it to run enough to drive it on and off my trailer to bring it home to work on it. After a new battery, the fuel punp clicked away but no fuel appeared in...
  8. H

Jose V6 exhaust 'pass-thru'

I've seen pics of the underside of V6 cars. Naturally, I can't find them now. I am working hard to get my V6 on the road. I didn't do the conversion. The PO ran the exhaust literally under the car. All pipes are below the body leaving a very small ground clearance. I've seen pics where the...
  9. H

PM or Email

I got an email from another member today. The title was "Someguy started a conversation with you: "regarding something"" I'm not offended or anything, just thought I could find it im my PMs. Not there. Is that "because your preferences are set to receive email when a new conversation message...
  10. H

Sunbeam colours

One of the cars that shows up sometimes on the SAOCA home page is a very dark blue Tiger. This one: Is this a Rootes color and if so, what. I love this color and want to paint my Alpine to match. Any suggestions on colour, paint mix or whatever appreciated. Thanks Al
  11. H

Reflections

While in the garage today I noticed the reflection of a long low car on the side of my SV. Anyone re4cognize it? Hillman Imp, they can look pretty cool in some mirrors.
  12. H

Engine removal

I'm about to pull the engine & trans from my V6 Alpine. I didn't build it. It was a Jose conversion (his first, I think). Engine first? What lifting points (manifold bolts?). Trans, out the bottom after engine gone? Or drop X-member, engine and trans from the bottom? Ideas...
  13. H

Buyer's advice needed

I lost my SII Alpine in a fire a couple of months ago. There aren't many Sunbeams in my area but I heard of a Tiger for sale nearby. I'm going to look at it early next week. Any advice on what to look for would be appreciated. I know the usual Alpine body things to look for but wonder if the...
  14. H

Rotisserie (and mounting an Alpine on one)

After losing my SII to fire, I want to get my SV V6 finished. I bought one of these ( https://www.resto-revolver.ca/ today. It's new in the box, the guy died unexpectedly and his wife really wanted it gone. I searched the forum but didn't see anthing on how to mount an Alpine. I thought...
  15. H

Bad Day

Before and after pics of my Alpine. About 7 minutes between them:
  16. H

Poster profile info on posts

I think the old forum had more info about people who posted a message on the left of their post. While not all people updated their profile, I liked seeing the location info. It helped put some posts in context.
  17. H

Modern Car humour

And I wanted to try imbedding an image
  18. H

What to do? Broken Ford manifold stud.

I.ve been replacing an inner axle seal of my son's Ford Escape. This involves removing the transfer case which requires removing the rear exhaust manifold. Of course, I broke a stud. No luck with easy outs. Seems easy, just helicoil it. Well, I suspect Edsel designed this rather than Henry...
  19. H

First drive.

Today I was working in my garage, mostly getting it ready to bring my SII back for the winter. I know that for some of you winter doesnt exist. I hear a great engine sound and go outside. One of my neighbours has a Lamborghini Galladro (I think) on his driveway. I've seen it before, but...
  20. H

Poor man's dyno

I stumbled across a smart phone app that tries to simualte a dyno using the accelerometer in a smartphone. Check it out here: http://www.perfexpert-app.com/ Anybody tried it? Comments? I'd get it but I don't have a phone capable of running it. Al