• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. am99ey

Gearbox noise

Now it hit my gearbox too... Yesterday on a 280 km drive, my gearbox started to make unusual and frightening noise during a very steep road onto a mountain pass. What I experienced: - last 5'000 km a whining noise in 3rd while decelerating, increasing loudness over the past few month/years -...
  2. am99ey

weak heater blower

Hello Now the weather changes to cooler and my screen is fogging over occasionally again. Switching on the blower/heater just barely gets the screen demisted. The air stream towards the screen is very weak. The lever on the dashboard to car/screen works and redirects the (weak) stream. The noise...
  3. am99ey

Size/dimension of copper seal ring of oil drain plug Alpine 5 (1725cc)

As my motor oil needs a change, and the motor oil drain plug currently is dripping / leaking, am looking for a new copper seal ring (washer?) I would be happy if anyone has the correct dimensions (in metric mm) ? Thank you, Andy
  4. am99ey

How to remove revmeter from dashboard SV

My revmeter needs some attention (restoration) as the indicated rev's are not correct anymore. How do I remove the revmeter from the dashboard ? All the electrical connections are of as well as the bracket and the two lock nuts. The revmeter sits very tight in the round cut-out of the dashboard...
  5. am99ey

Towing a SV with rope / how ?

Looking at the suspension (rear and front), I asked myself: where do I attach a rope for towing it to the next garage, in case of a break down in the middle of nowhere? Is there a "factory instruction" ? (It is a 1966 Series V) Thank's, Andy
  6. am99ey

Side window left / stuck in up-position

I experienced getting harder cranking over the last few weeks on the left side window. Suddenly it is stuck in the top position; no cranking possible anymore. I have removed the door panel but can not detect the cause. All seems to be in place and nothing is bent. How should I proceed not to...
  7. am99ey

SV size battery cable/engine ground

I am looking for the correct gauge (35mm2 ?) of the cable from the battery to the starter solenoid as well as the grounding strip (??mm2) from the frame to the engine. A picture of the correct frame// engine strip position and location would be helpful also. I can not find documentation on...
  8. am99ey

Tap / Die UNC and UNF

Could someone possibly, who is familiar with the threads used on Alpines, give me some advice or tipps? I would like to purchase a set of tap and die to rework or clean some threads occasionally on my SV. Is it the kind (Imperial ?) of bolts and nuts used on Alpines. Thank you, Andy PS: I...
  9. am99ey

Starter Motor identification

Hello all My starter does not work anymore. A simple clack clack from the relay, much more I can not get out. I have opened the brush-covering-ring. The four brushes 'look' as if the still have contact to the collector. It is difficult to determine as the motor is still fitted in. I tried to...
  10. am99ey

Faulty Alternator ?

Hello On Saturday's drive the red lamp on the dashboard started to flicker on low RPM. Finally I had to push start the car after stopping at the filling station. Back home I have disassembled the brushes of the alternator, one brush is a little short the other long enough. I will renew them...
  11. am99ey

Camshaft engraving

Happy New Year to all readers! Snow and bad weather giving me time trying to find out what the engraving/cast_letters in my two camshafts mean. Cam #1 is an original SV 1966 "MC 24235N 8 1981080" Cam #2 is an original Rapier ca. 1972 "54253141FR7 25.880 27.63 MG35G" and is currently...
  12. am99ey

Equivalent brake caliper for SV

A friend of mine acquired a barn find, an Alpine V 66. Lots of work ahead. Most parts are with it. Unfortunately the PO removed the front brake calipers, probably to move the car around the barn. Also the left front seat (driver side) is missing. Is there a equivalent caliper product which can...
  13. am99ey

breaks locking / solution !

I solved the problem of my servo locking up occasionally. I was very close to giving up and switching to a lockheed replacement. http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6035&highlight=breaks+looking Apart from my threat two years ago, the forum is full of this topic. So I would...
  14. am99ey

ESSO spark plugs 8639 3/4 or 8618 1/2 ...

Does anyone have information on these codes (and others) on ESSO spark plugs? On what engines can they be used? Helpful would be a cross reference table. Can not find anything on the net. Thanks, Andy
  15. am99ey

Wheels measure / Minilite

I am looking around for more sporty wheels, Minilite are my wish. So I measured my original pressed steel wheel. Could it be that the original wheels are 14" x 4.1" (36cm x 14cm) and a backspace of 1.4" (3.5.cm)? In the original user manual is 6 x 13" stated. What wheel nuts will I need...
  16. am99ey

Sunbeam Venezia 1964 for sale

Sunbeam Venezia 1964 for sale, I have no connection to the owner. Auction starts at approx $3200.- http://auto.ricardo.ch/kaufen/fahrzeuge/sonstige%20fahrzeuge/sunbeam-venezia-1964/v/an573208884/ Free translator: http://www.systran.co.uk/ It states only 52 cars left?
  17. am99ey

Pointer to notches / TDC

My engine is still pinging. I wanted to check up on the ingnition setup. Rockers of #1 are just on changing over, so I must be close to TDC. The pointer on the chain cover does not point to one of the notches, but to nowhere. Wat type of pointer is this? Error from the factory, from another...
  18. am99ey

Aplines are alive, all over

... found today. http://www.myvideo.de/watch/5478740/Sunbeamtreffen_2008
  19. am99ey

Dealing with terminology US <> UK

... english language is different, especially for non native english speakers. http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/freeads/freeads.htm On top of oily and greasy hands , *laugh*. enjoy
  20. am99ey

Rattling valves when hot

I have a problem with my new rebuilt engine (counter=300km by now) In mid rpm's the valves start to rattle and ringing and the engine power goes down while accelerating. I always need to change rpm's to stop this noise. I have read a thread a while ago about this but can't find it anymore...