• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. am99ey

Gearbox noise

Jan, Mike - sorry if I was not precise enough. I have had the original gearbox "rebuilt", as I would like to keep the car as original as possible, since 1977 when I bough it. The young guys only removed the GB, and installed the repaired GB again a week later, by my instructions/hints which I...
  2. am99ey

Gearbox noise

The gearbox is now back in the car. The test drive last week was a big disappointment. Gearing up 1/2/3/4 works well, but gearing down from 3rd to 2nd is impossible four out of five attempts. If it works, then very rough and sounds like not synchronized. On top of it, some noise from the input...
  3. am99ey

Gearbox noise

The gearbox was cleaned and the OD with filter was flushed out. I found a supplier for SAE30 non detergent oil. I am going to use that. Out of interest - what would the OD mind if it had to cope with "normal" multigrade oil ? What effect would it have to the OD? The mechanic said he always uses...
  4. am99ey

Gearbox noise

Hello, thanks for all the help. A short feedback form my side. The mechanic has finished rebuilding my gearbox. Ufff - this is big relief for me. He had used shafts in his shop. The replaced input shaft was usable without work done, and the output shaft needed a slight grind of 4/100 mm of the...
  5. am99ey

Gearbox noise

... are there any sources for the input-shaft and output shafts ? I can not find any on the internet. Thanks for helping.
  6. am99ey

Gearbox noise

Now the gearbox is on the workbench and the cause is determined - see attachments. The bearing surface of both half-shafts are damaged. Where can I find a replacement ? A hint would be appreciated... Thank you, Andy PS: ... unfortunately I can not upload the video clip with the noise...
  7. am99ey

Gearbox noise

Hi Andrew Thanks and sorry for having only the clips to the youtube videos on "Klausenpass". When the noise suddenly appeared I had everything else in the head, but not to grab the smartphone for recording. Heavy rain with clouds, no one else on the road on that altitude, dawn was slowly setting...
  8. am99ey

Gearbox noise

Now it hit my gearbox too... Yesterday on a 280 km drive, my gearbox started to make unusual and frightening noise during a very steep road onto a mountain pass. What I experienced: - last 5'000 km a whining noise in 3rd while decelerating, increasing loudness over the past few month/years -...
  9. am99ey

weak heater blower

Hello Now the weather changes to cooler and my screen is fogging over occasionally again. Switching on the blower/heater just barely gets the screen demisted. The air stream towards the screen is very weak. The lever on the dashboard to car/screen works and redirects the (weak) stream. The noise...
  10. am99ey

Stromberg gushing

On my SV 1966 the worn ring seal in the jet assemblies caused petrol dripping and final leaking/gushing .. New seals solved the problem. I am happy with my two CD150's . After cleaning and renewing the seals they work great. The joint of the sync clamp of the throttle axles had slipped randomly...
  11. am99ey

Size/dimension of copper seal ring of oil drain plug Alpine 5 (1725cc)

Hello Mike Thank you for your update. All clear now for me. With your measures I have no problem to buy the correct washer locally, as they are pretty standardized, ww. I believe "Thread-on" is to prevent the washer getting lost during an oil change in the workshop. But both types would be...
  12. am99ey

Hello Mike O'D Thank you for your info. Now it is all clear for me. I am familiar with DIN (Deutsche Industrie Norm) or ISO, they are standardized with the letters D/d/h or d2/d1/s , depending on the application. Working on my Alpine is always a excursion in different measures of (inch/cm)...
  13. am99ey

Hello Mike Thank you for your helpful information. So I will purchase 21mm x 27mm x 1.5mm (all three Oil Plug Screws are the same). Helpfull is your reference and dimensions/table on: www.dormanproducts.com/p-2489-097-831cd.aspx[ As I am not so familiar with british/US...
  14. am99ey

As my motor oil needs a change, and the motor oil drain plug currently is dripping / leaking, am looking for a new copper seal ring (washer?) I would be happy if anyone has the correct dimensions (in metric mm) ? Thank you, Andy
  15. am99ey

Routing heater hoses / bypass heater core

Thanks Tim. Nice video clip. The valve looks like a great solution. I need to get one ! (to avoid a mix up of Sunbeam / Golf..)
  16. am99ey

Routing heater hoses / bypass heater core

Hi Acollin A while ago I had the same problem with my SV. I finally found a new one heater valve on ebay, a remake looking pretty original. To avoid wearing the new valve, I have bypassed the original heater valve with one from a VW Golf 1, for daily usage. It is installed very quickly by...
  17. am99ey

How to remove revmeter from dashboard SV

Hello Michael ... thank you, as English is not my mother tongue I have to rely on dictionaries to help me out, somtimes using www.dict.cc No worries, I have added "tacho.." to my vocabulary too. I am aware that language finesse may fall short sometimes, never mind. Our Alpine's are simple...
  18. am99ey

... all good. The revmeter is out of the dashboard, ready to be repaired by the electronics technician. I myself don't want to risk doing the restoration myself, as I am not equipped properly, and I have only one revmeter ..! Thanks to your descriptions I knew approx. what to expect. The...
  19. am99ey

Gordon thanks, the rubber ring is new for me. Do you have a picture of what I can expect "behind the surprise"? Is the rubber ring on the housing of the revmeter or is it part of the round cut-out? I have been thinking of applying some lubricant from behind the DB, not Oil, WD40 or grease, but...
  20. am99ey

My revmeter needs some attention (restoration) as the indicated rev's are not correct anymore. How do I remove the revmeter from the dashboard ? All the electrical connections are of as well as the bracket and the two lock nuts. The revmeter sits very tight in the round cut-out of the dashboard...