• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. C

Pictures relevant to recent posts

Here are pictures of my second Alpine, the 14" x 5" steel wheels, and the spare mounted.
  2. C

14" wheels that fit the Alpine 4 lug

Here is the info for what I bought for my Alpine. The on-line source I used for my steel wheels is "bgfilip2000" and his wheels are checked before painting. At $41.00 each they were the best price I found on-line or anywhere for 4 lug on 4.25" with a center hole that clears the Alpine front hub...
  3. C

Wheels

Finally located a steel wheel that fits my Series V perfectly. A 1984 Ford Mustang 4 lug works. It is 5" or 5.5" - 14" with 4.25" on centers with an approximately 2 3/4" center hole. The center hole is not round but has an odd shape but fits Alpine hubs. There is a very nice mag style 1984...
  4. C

Custom steel wheels

Still looking for wheels. Need 15" by 5.5" wide with 4 lug on 4.25" centers with 2 5/8" to 3" center hole and 3 3/4 to 4" backspacing. I may be able to use 6" wide if I stay with 3 3/4" backspacing. Stock are 13" by 4.5" with 3 3/4" backspace, and measuring shows I can go up to 15" with 1" wider...
  5. C

Modern Tire size

I am thinking about running the OEM 13" wheels on my Modified Sunbeam. What is the biggest tire one can run on the stock steel rims and still have clearance? The 185 x 70R - 13 looks like the best bet. After checking 14" and 15" wheels, getting them with proper backspacing seems almost...
  6. C

Front brakes

It looks like I will need new/rebuilt front calipers. Where is the best place? I am using the OEM brakes and my fronts definitely need a redo or new ones. Parts or new I don't care, I am an ASE mechanic and been down this road before. It is a SV 1967 model. THANKS.
  7. C

Front suspension removal

It is out! The steering required the HOT WRENCH but it came apart. Now to rebuild as I tilt the body...after removing the rearend. Plan to drop the body 1" all around or maybe 2" in front. Got the hardtop, windshield, and a few other gaskets-rubber in the other day...over $600.00 worth, and I...
  8. C

Wheel width and offset

I just checked my 14" wheels before removing the front suspension, and found they are too wide. The original steel wheels have 4" offset but mine have 3.5" offset and are 6" wide. I do not want to flair the fenders but do not want 13" tires either. I see 15" on this site but do not know what the...
  9. C

Unsafe Jack Stands

I just got a notification some 3 and 6 ton Harbor Freight jack stands could be flawed...causing them to collapse. The latest NSRA magazine Streetscene has the story on page 108 by the Kentucky Safety Team. . The stands involved are numbers #61196 / #61197 / #56371. The 3 ton jacks have the...
  10. C

Tilting the Sunbeam

My front bumper mounts are missing the nuts on the frame horns (frame extensions), so I need to make a way to bolt the car to the TILT. Looking at metal straps I can make to mount off the front frame horns, with a 90 degree to bolt to the wood Tilt. Any other ideas? I had forgotten the bumper...
  11. C

Car Tilt

Well the best plans don't always workout. I made tall stands to lift the car but I will need to TILT it on its side to do the serious work on exhaust, undercoating removal and reinstall, fuel line, brake lines, and patch work. My overhead welding SUCKS worse than my regular welding. Not a lot of...
  12. C

Battery location

Unable to mount low but was able to move to the trunk and pass side. Will probably seal off with a floor to upper fender flange panel and vent out the bottom. Gas filler tube will be covered in rubber and the tank is vented out the bottom also.
  13. C

shocks

The pictures show the shocks as removed from my SV. They are 9" collapsed and 13" extended. Measured from lower eye center-line to the top of the upper mount base rubber, base being the rubber cushion closest to the shock body. Only 4" travel so if I lower the car just 1" I am in trouble with...
  14. C

shocks

Does anyone know the extended and collapsed dimensions of the stock shocks on a series 5 Alpine? I am searching for new shocks and not wanting racing or extra stiff replacements. I build for daily driving and overall comfort. Brands are not my interest but dimensions so I can research different...
  15. C

Gauges

Finally got confirmation my gauges have been shipped. Auto Meter white face with black pointers like old school gauges. Black faces would be like SW aircraft/Smith but my eyes prefer white background. Mechanical speedometer, electric tach, water, oil, volts, fuel, vacuum, clock. Add a radio...
  16. C

Windshield

Got my new windshield today. Now must SAFELY store it until needed. The box it was sent in is HUGE with foam everywhere, but I got it in one piece.
  17. C

Parts sources

I sold my 65 Mustang and now need to start buying seals, glass, and small parts for my Sunbeam SV. Who is the best rubber seals source? I need a windshield and rubber seal, Hardtop-to-body seal, side vent windows, basically all rubber seals, and seat foam before doing upholstery. What is the...
  18. C

Running wires

I have always run wires before doing body work and after installing the engine. If you have been afraid to do your own wiring, it is not that hard if done one circuit at a time. My Ford 2.3 has ZERO computers...by design. Even now, decades after the use of computer controlled engines, they are...
  19. C

Wires

Finally got my #2 awg wire in today and ran the Positive line to the solenoid. I run most wires NOW to avoid having to drill holes after paint. I remove them and store in a safe place for installing permanently later. Alternator, regulator, coil, starter solenoid, head & tail light wires, fuel...
  20. C

Tire size

I am thinking about 205 x 70R - 14 tires on 6" wide rims for the rear of my Series V. Anyone run this setup? Any problems with the stock Alpine rearend and suspension? The rear leaf springs seem very close to the stock steel rims with 13" 70 series tires I have now, and 70 series 14" on wider...