• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. T

Alpine in San Diego.

Does anyone here recognize this Alpine? My son, in photo, saw this on display at Belmont Park Center in San Diego with no info on or near it and wondered if I knew anything about it.
  2. T

Moss has acquired the inventory of Victoria British

This has been discussed on the "General Chit Chat" section of this forum, but I am posting here where more folks keep track of solutions for their cars: http://www.victoriabritish.com/press-release/index.htm Let's hope that Moss adds Sunbeam parts to their regular business and does not simply...
  3. T

Andrew Masse

Has anyone heard from or about Andrew Masse? I just noticed he has not been seen here for over a year. Tom
  4. T

Tigre racing team

i just recently became aware of the Tigre racing team racing Sunbeams in the 1920’s. Does anyone know if the Tiger name for the V8 version of the Alpine has any connection or homage to that early Tegre team?
  5. T

Ford regulator in a SV with stock Alt

I'm trying, remotely, to help a fellow member with the wiring on his SV Alpine. Somewhere during prior ownership the Alpine regulator was replaced with a Ford regulator, still using the Alpine/Lucas Alternator. This was done by a shop in 1985. I am now pretty sure this regulator is a common Ford...
  6. T

Tiger alternator

I'm trying to help a fellow member with the wiring on his SV Alpine. Somewhere during prior ownership the Alpine regulator was replaced with a Ford regulator, still using the Alpine/Lucas Alternator. This was done by a shop in 1985. From photos I see the regulator has 3 white wires, 2 yellow...
  7. T

Series I, II fuel sender question

I'm trying to repair a SI,II fuel sender for a friend. The lead wire to the wirewound resistor is broken and I cannot tell which end of the resistor is was originally connected to. Can anyone share a photo or direct me to a photo of the inside of one of these early senders. And can anyone share...
  8. T

Guests vs members

I am puzzled when I look at the "members on line now" sidebar on the Forum home page. Typically it shows maybe 70 people on our forum, but only 3 or 4 are members and the rest are guests, and a couple are robots. Are there really that many people interested in Sunbeams who have not joined our...
  9. T

e-mails and PM's

I note that in the new forum there is no listing of e-mail addresses, and also there is no handy link for "send an e-mail" or "send a PM". I found it useful in the old forum when reading a thread and wanting to respond with a PM, to just click on the name and click on "Send a PM". Not too big...
  10. T

How to get back to "Home"?

I find I cannot get back to the main Home page, with Articles, etc. by clicking on the "home" tab on the forum. Thanks, Tom
  11. T

Installing driveshaft

I'm helping Mike O'Donnell install the driveshaft on his S3 restoration. He has installed the engine and OD tranny. When we try to install the driveshaft it will not go into the tailshaft. It will go on just far enough to barely engage the splines enough to be able to turn the OD output shaft...
  12. T

Teae Bash 2017

Group here's a link to a neat event in Harrisburg, PA hosted by the TEAE group, timed to fit with the Carlisle Import Show. The show has already occurred, but it's an annual event and maybe next year you may want to attend: http://teae.org/bash-2017/ Some of our SAOCA members attended and...
  13. T

Can we add a category or section?

A couple recent posts, by me and then John Piz, included links to a couple of very extensive photo albums of great use in restoring an Alpine: Mike Hardman's set for SV: http://wp.mhartman.net/home/cars/sunbeam/alpine/photos And John Piz's set for SII...
  14. T

Tachometer, SV, updated and calibrated

I have for sale a Series V tachometer upgraded per my article in the archive, with improved temperature compensation and calibrated with cal report showing accuracy at 11 points around the dial. $180 incl shipping to anywhere in the 48 states. See the article ...
  15. T

Value of an Alpine

A frequent topic here is the estimated value of an Alpine. Here's an interesting article. Scroll down to the 4th car and see an Alpine that went for $7000 at auction. The write up mentions some small "issues" but the full description does not elaborate at all. Nice SIII, with hardtop. ...
  16. T

Anchoring snap posts

I have had a long time problem getting the snap fastener post just behind the doors, for the soft top and for the tonneau cover, to stay in place. The hole is so worn that the sheet metal thread barely holds the post for a little while. I thought I was on the way to solving the problem by buying...
  17. T

John Boggis SIV pics

about 6 yrs ago John Boggis posted a link to a set of photos of his pristine, very near original, SIV. Does anyone still have that link and does it work? Or any other link to those pics? Has anyone heard of or from John Boggis lately? His last activity on this site was May 2011. Tom
  18. T

Pre-ignition

Group, Years ago when a piece of piston ring broke off and went into the combustion chamber, it made a lot of small dents in the piston and in the alloy head. I replaced the pistons and had the head milled and repaired to eliminate the dents with their sharp edges. I was under the impression...
  19. T

Positive earth ammeter

A fellow Alpine owner asked me about how an ammeter should be wired in a SII. I assume it's still a Pos earth car. Some ( non Alpine) ammeters I have seen are labelled with Charge and Discharge so it's pretty clear that they would be wired such that when the generator is charging the battery the...
  20. T

Distributor assembly

I'm helping Vlad get his Alpine running and having an issue possibly with the dist. With nice weather finally here , Vlad tried to start his car for first time in a while and it would not start. Seemed to be ignition problem. We disassembled the dist and found one of the springs on the...