• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. T

One wire alternator?

As you can see from the other replies, you need an alternator that has a Lamp connection. The Hitachi can be wired as a "one wire" plus the Lamp connection. Simply connect the "S" or "R" terminal directly to the B+ (big wire post) terminal. Here's my write up of SII to Alt conversion. You'll...
  2. T

Si water temperature sender

Dave, The early gauges work on a totally different principle. The sensors for late gauges are not at all close enough to be useful for early series. The original sender for early gauges was a 4800 , and I thought supplier were offering 5720 as a replacement. Those are quite close. Tom .
  3. T

Alpine Bell Housing Bolt Size?

Don't miss the point that one of the bolts is a DOWEL bolt and uses a nut on the end. That's the bolt that Mike highlighted in his photo where you can see a nut on the end. The dowel bolt is a snug fit to provide critical alignment of the bell housing to the block. I think there is also a plain...
  4. T

gauges problem

How are you measuring the voltage to the gauges ? Do you read 9 Volts actually at the gauge terminals with the senders connected to the gauges? I expect that you are using a modern solid state voltage stabilizer, and not an original On/Off stabilizer, or you would have noticed right away that...
  5. T

Overdrive Issues - Engagement

I have seen that the weakest link in the OD circuits is the OD Relay. See my reply #10 o this post: https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/problem-overdrive-going-on-and-off.31950/#post-234614 Tom H You might also do a search on the Subject: Overdrive by member Tom H (me)
  6. T

Convertible Top Pivot Arms: Interference Fit

First step , just loosen that nut that holds the vertical frame to the pivot arm and apply some rust breaker and you'll see things start to get better. If the alignment to the window is good, you may be in good shape.
  7. T

What distributor is this??

If you have a complete Pertronix distributor I cannot imagine any problem installing that on your 1725 engine. Tom
  8. T

Headlamp assembly problem- questions

It's been a while since I had this part of my Alpine apart, but I think you need to put one of these speed nuts onto that flange of the fender where the hole is...
  9. T

Alpine in San Diego.

Does anyone here recognize this Alpine? My son, in photo, saw this on display at Belmont Park Center in San Diego with no info on or near it and wondered if I knew anything about it.
  10. T

Coil swap - original electrical wiring question

I am confused by this statement. "and the negative side goes to coil negative" . I don't understand what you mean ? The negative side of what? Also "There is never any power to the 12ga white wire, but it used to be on coil negative as well." The photo shows 2 white wires connected to each...
  11. T

OK , Series 3 , so it never had a ballast resistor nor does it then have the "bypass wire" for cold starting. My guess is that the extra white wire is the wire to power the Pertronix Ignition module inside the distributor when the ignition is ON. But if so, I do not understand why it would be...
  12. T

Are you using a Pertronix Ignition? Or just a Pertronix coil. ? You say you recently swapped in a Pertronix coil. But still keeping the mechanical points? Or did you install a pertronix ignition earlier? Or did you recently install the Pertronix ignition AND coil ?
  13. T

Please clarify . What series? Are you using a Pertronix Ignition ? Or just a Pertronix coil and using original mechanical points. Do you have a ballast resistor installed? Is the wiring essentially original ?
  14. T

Need Some Validation

Scotty, You say you "redid" your Weber 32/36 but have made no mention of the jets. Do you know the history of your Weber carb? Was it jetted appropriately for your engine? There are 4 jets on the Weber 32/36, and the wrong jets can cause problems. Primary Idle, Secondary Idle, Primary Main, and...
  15. T

Series V Alpine Soft Top Frame

One bolt on each side, to attach the vertical frame portion of the top frame to the tab on the pivot assembly. And note that that bolt is a shoulder bolt and must be affixed to the tab on the pivot arm in a way that allows it to also pivot. As the B post pivot rotates up and down, the attached...
  16. T

Static timing (Pertronix): please confirm

Hopsedge , It assume your test lamp/test lead is like this one...
  17. T

New Battery is Now Dead

Before you pull the alternator to have it tested, test the SYSTEM with the alternator installed. Start the engine (with jump start if necessary) and measure the voltage at the battery. The battery voltage should be 13.5 to 14.5 V while running. Is it possible that your alternator has never...
  18. T

Ignition Switch?

Pull the red/white wire off the ignition switch and touch it to the Brown wire on the ignition switch. If the starter cranks, then, indeed, the problem is in the Ignition switch. But if it does not crank, the problem is in the wire or the starter solenoid.
  19. T

New Battery is Now Dead

What evidence or indication do you have that the alternator / charging system is working? It's quite possible to go on a 4 day trip and see "no problems", while all the whole trip, the charging system is not charging, but when you end the trip and put the car in the garage, the battery is just...