• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. B

How I used My Sunbeam Owner Medallion

The title says it all. Here it is. My son did most of the grille work, it is a Customgrille material. We chose a grille design that is produced by cutting slits, then pulling. The design is determine by the shape of the slits. Unfortunately, the process produces hundreds of twists in the...
  2. B

Can a Car be Possessed?

I mean possessed by evil spirits, not re-possessed by the lending company. The '69 makes me wonder. On the trip to the United in bowling Green, it started leaking fuel out the carb's intake horn. Did that all the way home, too. Getting 30 mpg. Seventy miles from home, the solenoid activating...
  3. B

Jumpy speedometer

The speedometer in the '69 was very jumpy, really unreadable. Oiled it up and greased the cable. About a 50% improvement. Decided to forget the speedo and drive by a tach. That worked out pretty good. But on the 120 mile trip yesterday, the speedo behaved itself. Dead solid reading, 10 mph...
  4. B

Ignition Switch Core

My aftermarket ignition switch suddenly decided to keep the key. Finally got the key out, but the switch still wants to eat them. Time for a different switch. Found a Lucas ignition switch, but no key. Ordered a new tumbler and keyset from triple C. Now to get the old tumbler out. Looking...
  5. B

Thread font

Been noticing different fonts the past few days. The current set up is a definite winner. Very readable and compact enough. Hate the tiny, grey font that seems to be in vogue. Bill
  6. B

Duratec 2.5 with a D'Tec Ranger 2.3 head

Won't work! At least for me. Valve/Piston clearance issue. I decided on this combo because I liked the low rpm grunt of the original 2.3 Ranger. Everything I read said this was a simple bolt on, even found a thread that gave instructions, including where to drill through the Ranger head for...
  7. B

Fastback Alternator

Lost the input shaft nut on the alternator, ruined the alt fan and pulley. It seems all the rebuilt unit do not come with the pulley and fan. Found a new on Rock Auto. It arrived yesterday an looks very good and quite similar to the old one. Similar, but not exact. Different mount spacing...
  8. B

DIY Padded dash

Decided to try my hand at making one. Turned out great. used pipe insulation for the pad, glued in with contact cement. Covered with a very high quality plastic that is stretchable in two directions. That is the heart to my success. The last two photos are of the finished pad. Bill
  9. B

The Secret of MY Success

Thought some might be interested to how I make/design stuff. The photo shows the progression of the design of the finished part, which is at the right hand of the photo. As can be plainly seen, I cannot visualize in three dimensions.
  10. B

Carter Side Draft

One of the better kept carburetor secret is the Carter side draft used on the Nash Healey, Corvettes and Corvairs. They came is various sizes, I decided to use a big one, installing it on the Iron Headed 1725 in the '69 Fast back. I decided the carb designed as a performance upgrade for the...
  11. B

Ackerman? We don't need no stinken Ackerman

I hope! Finally got the front end (Tiger copy, using MGB parts) totally installed and adjusted. I was curious as to what was happening to the Ackerman. Bolted a couple pieces of angle iron about two feet long onto the brake rotors and measured. From dead ahead to full left turn lock, no...
  12. B

Leakproof windscreen installation

Time to reinstall the windscreen, using a new gasket and old glass. Our previous build suffered from windscreen leaks that we were never able to stop. So tell me, what sealers should I use and where/when? Also, the it seems to me the windscreen adjusters lift the seal and creates a problem...
  13. B

Value of Pilot Bearing

I am at a point where I should make a decision about the pilot bearing, as the installation will require a sleeve over the stock bearing. The transmission is a 70's Volvo unit that I am mating to a 1725. The transmission appears to be the roller (needle?) bearing type. I am not at all sure...
  14. B

Four shots and Covid.

Barb and I have taken two Covid vaccinations and two boosters. We now have Covid, received as a freebie from our daughter-in-law, who also has her allotment of shots. So far, I have to say the shots are worth it. While all are certainly aware that they are sick, we are three days into it and...
  15. B

Volvo transmission

The one I have for installation into the '69 Alpine has a built in switch that limits overdrive engagement to 4th gear, creating a 5 speed transmission. Any thoughts as to why Volvo did that and the wisdom (or stupidity) of installing a more conventional switch allowing 3rd and 4th gear...
  16. B

Removing Speedometer Bezel

Too be blunt - How is it done? First, is the painted steel band a permanent part of the bezel? We (includes Barb) assume it is. This is where we are in the process. The tabs on the back of the bezel have been loosened. The painted steel band rotates in relation to the can. Rotating the steel...
  17. B

Two liter 1725

Been thinking about the Mitsu connecting rod with a 1.71" big end. When used with an offset ground crank and +.060" pistons would yield two plus liters. Question of the day, taking into account the lower rev limit due to the stroke and rod diameter, how would this shake out for use on the...
  18. B

Wiring an A4LD into an Alpine

As soon as I got the A4LD installed, I decided I'd better identify the hank of cut off wires attached to it. I identified and marked the following: Neutral start pair Back up light pair Speedo pair 4th gear/lockup solenoid trio. Trio because of the way the VOM tested them. One wire had...
  19. B

Shifting A4LD

What is the best strategy for shifting the A4LD into 4th (OD) and converter lockup? Is the ability to lockup in 3rd (1:1 ratio) important in a car with lots of horsepower? I'm thinking of combining switches so that the trans would lock up only as it was shifted into 4th. 3rd (1:1 would only...
  20. B

Replacing CD 150 in '69 Alpine

The stock carburetor has earned my desire to replace it. The engine seems to run out of air at about max torque, it certainly does not like to rev and it coughed at exactly the correct point to get me killed. One of the first choices to come to mind is the Carter side draft with the moniker of...