• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Barry

Side to side wheel base

Your S-3 tracking straight indicates that the rear axle is "square" with the unibody centerline. A S-3 does not have a front axle, but the side-to-side difference in wheel base indicates that one (or possibly both) of the front stub axle carriers (aka, spindles or uprights) is not in the...
  2. Barry

Slave Cylinder

IIRC, the factory clutch master cylinder reservoir holds about 1.5 fluid ounces. The clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder are both about a quarter fluid ounce and the 1/8" line connecting the clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder is about another eighth of a fluid ounce...
  3. Barry

Front valance needed for Series II

With today's hourly rates at a good body shop, it might (if it fits) be a bargain compared to repairing a damaged lower front valence. It would be interesting to know the source of the replacement panels that Moss is selling. https://mossmotors.com/sat-001-sunbeam-body-panels-for-alpine-tiger
  4. Barry

Slave Cylinder

If anything, it is the other way around. DOT 3 (aka, SAE 70R3) brake fluid was the automotive standard from the late 1940's until the mid 1980's when DOT 4 was introduced and it took another 20 years (mid 2000's) for DOT 4 to become the industry standard OEM brake fluid for U.S. made cars. DOT...
  5. Barry

Fun Alpine Pictures

The 1st-gen Mustang fastback and the 2nd-gen Corvair (behind the Mustang in the picture) were both introduced as 1965 models in September of 1964. The Chateau Marmont "hotel" (where John Belushi died) is still there on Sunset Blvd. in West Hollywood.
  6. Barry

Nice '66 Alpine on Craigslist...

The gas line appears to be copper tubing with a rubber sleeve. Copper tubing is subject to work hardening and failure without warning. Not my cup of tea.
  7. Barry

There's no accounting for ______.

That hood scoop is about styling, not engineering. The GM 4.3 V6 is a SBC 350 V8 with one cylinder left out on each side and is only slightly (about 5/8") taller than a SBF V8.
  8. Barry

Brakes long pedal

Classic symptoms of the master cylinder piston not fully retracting when the brakes are applied and then released. Possibly a defective MC, but more likely because of the brake master cylinder pushrod being too long / mis-adjusted or the brake pedal arm not fully returning when released.
  9. Barry

paint color

Porsche Guards Red is very close to what Carnival Red looked like when it left the factory (before it turned "pink") and is available from just about all of the automotive paint suppliers.
  10. Barry

Brakes long pedal

Jay, I suspect that you have excessive rotor run out / pad knock back on one or more rotors. When you push on the brake pedal and apply hydraulic pressure, all of the caliper pistons "extend" to force the brake pads into contact with the rotors. With a standard Series Alpine brake pedal arm...
  11. Barry

Asked 2X Today

Many forums have a sub-forum specifically for new members such as: New Member Introductions - Drop in and introduce yourself to the community!
  12. Barry

Alpine Brake rotor mounting bolt pattern

What was the question again?
  13. Barry

$83,500 Alpine on ebay

I don't think "selling dealer" has anything to do with BAT; it is just part of the sellers description of the vehicle.
  14. Barry

I measured the rotor-to-hub mounting bolt pattern on my S-V several years ago and came up with 4 on 3.375". The diameter of the shoulder where the rotor mounts on the hub was 2.625". My recollection is that the mounting bolts had a short shoulder (the length of the rotor mounting flange...
  15. Barry

Don't think there were any metric dimensions on Series Alpines. In any case, 4 on 4.25" is the wheel lug pattern, not the rotor-to-hub bolt pattern.
  16. Barry

Brakes

WSM-145, Section K2, pages 12 & 13 refer to self-adjusting rear brakes. The pictures you posted appear to be manual-adjusting rear brakes as shown in WSM-124, Section K, page 9.
  17. Barry

$83,500 Alpine on ebay

At the end of the day, it's what's left (not much) of a Series II Alpine shell mounted on a pro-street chassis that can't do anything well except (maybe) go like stink from stoplight to stoplight or (more likely) from car show to car show on a trailer. A lot of time, effort and money for a cute...
  18. Barry

Fitting a Tiger front crossmember

Understood. The Series Alpine steering system dates from an 85 year old small English family sedan and does not provide modern feel. Yes, the Tiger front suspension crossmember is essentially a bolt-in for late (3/IV/V) Series Alpines. You would need to replace the Series Alpine steering...
  19. Barry

Difference between an Alpine and a Tiger in the Engine Compartment

Never say never and hope I'm wrong, but I can't help imagining no inner fenders and a NHRA pro-stock hood scoop.
  20. Barry

Leading or trailing caliper: Any difference?

That is where DanR's Saturn caliper kit is designed to be mounted and is what I would have done. I can't imagine that the Saturn calipers weigh enough for front or back to matter.