• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. P

2.9 valves.

I had the impression that raised valve seats offered a performance advantage, although it would be a small advantage. The first shop that worked on my heads left the valve heights all over the place. I took the heads to another shop, Portland Engine Rebuilders (since reorganized under a new...
  2. P

2.9 valves.

Yikes! I’m sure your machine shop is very good, but if that were my engine, I’d become fully informed about valvetrain geometry and set it up myself. Thanks to Barry for bringing up the issue of reground cams and base circles. Decking blocks and shaving heads will also alter valvetrain...
  3. P

2.9 valves.

I would be mindful of the rockerarm geometry. For max power, and longer valvetrain life, you’ll want to get that right. I think Ted Eaton has some articles on the subject on his Y-Block pages. Edit: I would be leaning toward lash caps. Paul M.
  4. P

V6 Cylinder head review

Thanks guys. I looked in a catalog for Ferrea Valves and found a listing for VW VR6 valves that will work; 41mm dia, 106 mm loa, 7mm stem. The concept is to tune the valvetrain for high RPM, take advantage of the short valves, short pushrods, solid lifter design. Jose used to emphasize this...
  5. P

V6 Cylinder head review

I’m back to work on my project. I have a spare Bronco II V6 that I’m disassembling and I’ve ordered a valve spring from a 4.6 to trial fit. I’m wondering if Jim (260) or someone can point me to a quick way to search for intake valves based on LOA and head diameter. If I can locate reasonably...
  6. P

carburetor switch

Thanks, guys. I go for a stock performance look. I have several 2100's to go on the modified stock 83 2.8 truck intake manifold. Venturi sizes range from .98" to 1.08". I'm leaning toward the 1.01" carb for the 2.8L engine. I do have the Offy intake, but to get the project running, I'll start...
  7. P

carburetor switch

I cut down the upper part of the intake and had the lower EGR passage welded shut. Lowers the carb by an inch. It’s close to the valve covers but it clears. I’ve got an assortment of 2100 carbs to try out. Paul
  8. P

Modified dizzy

I had an 86 Mustang GT with a 5.0 that had the Ford EEC IV engine controller. It worked beautifully until the day it died completely. Apparently, heat can cause the module on the distributor to fail. I replaced it with a Dyna-Mod. Later years of EEC IV moved that module to the firewall. I read...
  9. P

Modified dizzy

I suggest you use dual points. It’s more precise and the slower-opening points cause less arcing (burning of the points) as they open. Slower opening also means less point bounce at speed. I worked on a Toyota 6 cyl ignition that seemed to vary the coil saturation with RPM. Smart idea; lower...
  10. P

Parts car

Upper and lower A arms (maybe just drop the whole front end), bumpers as cores, front valence, front fenders, headlamp rings, doors, seats, console, steering wheel, gauges, brake and clutch cylinders, brake booster, radiator, calipers, e brake handle
  11. P

Series V suspension parts

Spindles from later Sunbeam Minx give a 2” drop. Brake calipers from Mustang II fit up with brake hose adapters. 67 Camaro shocks? I’ve heard that with some work it is possible to put Mustang II spindles onto Sunbeam A arms and convert to front-steer R&P. I went through the bushings and ball...
  12. P

Sound Deadening Material

I’ve heard good reports about using paint with microballoons mixed in. Quiets and insulated against heat.
  13. P

V6 conversions

There is another good reason to use the 2.8 Ford V6. It is a light engine. I recently came across a list of engine weights and the 2.8 was about 360 pounds. http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/engineweights.html
  14. P

Ford 2.8 beehive valve springs - 4.6 2v

I'm looking at the dimensions and specs for beehive valve springs. Comp Cams has springs with 93 lbs at 1.570" and 198 lbs at 1.020". Bottom ID is .738". 26113-16 Seems like a quick and cheap hack to fit these to a 2.8. And they have titanium retainers if you can afford the price - $15...
  15. P

Series II 1962 Bend, OR

No affiliation. A sweet looking red Series II, less engine, in Bend, Oregon. https://bend.craigslist.org/cto/6200807490.html Is that pull-type dashboard control marked 'LOCK' for an overdrive? Check out the condition of the hardtop.
  16. P

NHRA National Record

Incredibly quick! Congratulation on the record. That has to feel really good.
  17. P

2.8 oil leak

Curious; did you twist the oil pump drive shaft? I've screwed up some of those by adding STP Oil Treatment to a cold engine.
  18. P

2.8 performance parts

Too funny! Also, look closely at the 4bbl intake. Three bolts holding down the upper part and I wonder if the edge of the flange for the carb will foul the valve cover. I'm a little curious to know which model of intake manifold was used for that conversion. If I tried that with my 83 Bronco...
  19. P

2.8 oil leak

Is the oil pressure relief working? If it's stuck, the high pressure might be blowing out the oil filter gasket. I avoid Fram oil filters. Almost any other filter is better quality. Consider using Motorcraft, Purolator, AC Delco, Bosch, or Mobil1.
  20. P

I'm so ashamed....

I am also in the middle of an expanding project. Seemed so simple on paper. I had impulsively, and against my better judgment, removed the front crossmember to be able to work on it. That actually turned out to be a good thing because I found bent parts, but it did slow down an already slow...