• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. B

Series 1 speedo error

Interesting reading, I have almost given up on getting an accurate Speedo in my S1. With the PO having carried out a restoration using a mixture of Alpine bits, trying to find the right combination of components has done my head in. Currently I have a non 1st syncro box with od, 4.2 diff and...
  2. B

Rings availability

Are rings still available for the early 1494 pistons
  3. B

OD gearbox removal

Is it possible to remove an overdrive gearbox from underneath, without removing the engine ?
  4. B

Wire Wheels

Having recently collected a good set of splined hubs and spoked wheels from different sources, I`m about to embark on removing my steel wheels and installing the spokes. Looking around the site there doesn't appear to be a lot of information on this topic, additionally the WSM is not all that...
  5. B

Mechanical Tacho

Does anyone know if the cable driven tachos are adjustable ? Mine seems to over read in the order of 200 - 300 revs across the range when compared with my hand held tach.
  6. B

OD compatability

Hi all, looking for some collective wisdom on overdrives. I have come across a Series 1 gearbox (non syncro 1st) complete with overdrive; in my shed I have a later all syncro non OD gearbox. Is it possible to install the OD unit on my all syncro box ? I can cope with diff ratio, tail shaft...
  7. B

Aussie All British Day

A reasonable showing of Alpines at a show here yesterday http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5589&stc=1&d=1423461999 http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5590&stc=1&d=1423462146...
  8. B

High time engines

Just a heads up for those of you who have engines with high mileage and associated symptoms of rattles with low oil pressures etc. My Series 1 engine has an unknown history but exhibited the classic signs of getting weary with rev drop at idle when dipping the clutch, oil pressure down to...
  9. B

Valve Springs

In the process of refurbishing a 1.6l alum. head (of unknown origin) for my Series 1 and I have found a broken inner valve spring, thinking I would find another spring in my spares stash I now find that this head has different springs to all my other heads. Both inner and outer springs are...
  10. B

Flickering guages

Does anyone know if there is a voltage stabilisor in the Series 1 instrument power supply? looked in the WSM but cant see any mention of one, but maybe someone out there knows more? I have developed synchronised flickering on both the fuel and temp gauges (the frequency being similar to what...
  11. B

Trunk lock woes

FWIW, spent 2 hours today on releasing a faulty trunk lock from the inside on a Series II, what an excercise!! Removed drivers seat (RHD), then folding panel that seperates trunk from cabin, inner lining between trunk and cabin and managed to wriggle into the boot space. With...
  12. B

Mechanical tacho

Having recently fitted the correct distributor with mechanical tacho drive to my Series 1, I thought all was well when I fired up the engine and the tacho responded nicley, going smoothly up and down the rev range whilst I blipped the throttle. I then went for a a drive and at about 3000...
  13. B

Zenith carbs

Just wondering if anyone has a solution with the WIA carb, to stop the accelerator pump piston binding in the carb body. I have one which sticks at the bottom of the pump bore when fully depressed, I have tried polishing/honing both piston and bore without success. Swapped pistons...
  14. B

Solex Carbs question

I have a pair of Solex WIA-2 carbs fitted to my Series 1, in a box of spares that came with the car there are a pair of WIA-3 carbs; can anyone tell me the differences between the two part numbers ?
  15. B

Bonnet Lock

:confused:Ok folks whats does the collective wisdom for getting the hood / bonnet open with stuck latch mechanism ?? BD