• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. B

Need to clutch when activating overdrive?

Yes, use the clutch; you are engaging / disengaging another gear in the drive line, be kind to it..
  2. B

No spark frustration

Weak yellow spark is often sign of a bad condenser or poor earth in , the primary circuit , You may have changed the condensor, but could I suggest changing it again.
  3. B

No spark frustration

OK, with what you've already done, plugs - coil - points etc., maybe it's time to work backwards towards the ignition switch, particularly if you've had random faults before. Is there a problem with the switch / connections ?
  4. B

Needed to complete my S1

Re the Temp gauge, you're correct about the early Series guages, they are direct reading from the sending unit. Later Series work through a voltage regulator.
  5. B

Zenith carb issues

If you're prepared (able) to work on them, it's well worth the effort. I get that most people are easily frustrated with them and take the Weber option, but, IMHO it doesn't get much better than listening to a pair of well tuned Zeniths in full cry.
  6. B

Zenith carb issues

7. B

Problem with Carbs and Fouled plugs

Further to bernd info; if you're using the Unysinc, just adjust the idle screws individually until you get a balanced reading.
  8. B

Gearbox noise

OD unit doesn't take kindly to some of the compounds use in multi mix / detergent/ synthetic oils; i.e. keep it simple with old school oils. Just ensure that your mechanic has thoroughly flushed/cleaned out the OD unit, with the debris that's been circulating in the trans oil you want to ensure...
  9. B

Fuel gauge not working

At the back of the guages you could swap the wires between fuel and temp gauge; if the temp gauge moves with power on, you know that the circuit is good from tank sender to gauge ,
  10. B

Static timing (Pertronix): please confirm

Short answer - Yes
  11. B

Static timing (Pertronix): please confirm

OK, here goes, Whether it be - points open, points closed or light on, light off - it's all about breaking the current flow momentarily through the coil to produce a spark at the plugs. With your test lead connected between the coil and earth, you can witness the interruption of this flow...
  12. B

Problem: Overdrive Going On and Off

Step 1 - check the oil level.
  13. B

AccuSpark Ignition Module

Likewise with a Series 1, have used Accuspark for 5 or 6 years without issues.
  14. B

S1 Intake Manifold Question

I think history tells us to maintain some flow from the rear of the head back to water pump on early Series. If you've seen what I've seen in the back of the block, where this flow has been blanked off for lengthy periods, you would be horrified.
  15. B

Starting your car

If you're not regularly using your park brake, how do you know it's working ? I would support the notion that the long term storage is best served by wheel chocks, with park brake off; but.. I like to know that it's not just an emergency brake.
  16. B

Mechanical Fuel Pump Leak

Have you considered changing the hose ? Looks a bit dodgy to me.
  17. B

Starting your car

Ok, I'm happy to admit I was born in the 1940s in a rural area; so cut my teeth on manual (stick shift) cars. I would be first to admit that you never stop learning; nevertheless my driver training started with those who grew up before the auto trans ever existed then graduated through a...
  18. B

Discussion on future of LL100 AvGas

I'm sure the detonation factor still exists, but when speaking of aero engines today most of the discussion is aimed at light aircraft which, in the main, are relatively low compression. Typical 4 cylinder engines run in the region of 8:1 compression; those that run turbo/super charged run...
  19. B

Vaccum Advance

Not wanting to steal the OP' s thunder, but using a vac guage takes a lot of guesswork out of timing. Plumbing a vac guage into the inlet manifold (I use a temporary fitting in the manifold drain port) allows you to tune both mixture and ignition (in my case) a steady 22" of vacuum at idle...
  20. B

Spheerol semi liquid bearing grease in steering box

Agree with David, did mine yesterday 1hour job.