• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. J

Steering Wheel Diameter

What is the diameter of a stock Alpine steerin wheel? Thanks
  2. J

Won't Idle Properly

I cannot get my 1725cc engine to idle properly. I recently installed an Alpine Innovations carb/manifold setup. The car ran great after the installation, but I subsequently ran into a problem getting the engine to run. (I don’t believe my current issue has anything to do with the AI equipment.)...
  3. J

Wanted SII Fuel Gauge Sending Unit

Looking for the fuel tank sending unit for a SII Alpine. Thanks
  4. J

Leaf Spring Bushings

I'm considering replacing the leaf spring bushings on my SII but am concerned that the "juice may not be worth the squeeze" - removing the old bushings looks like it will be a real pain. The car rides OK now but things can always improve. The SII has Doug's rear shock conversion with new KYB...
  5. J

SII Shackle/Spring Bushing

It appears that it is necessary to remove the fuel tank on a SII in order to extract/insert the rear leaf spring and rear shackle bushing bolts. This strikes me as being somewhat absurd. Am I missing something?
  6. J

MacGregor UK Car Parts

I've ordered parts from MacGregor on several occasions and never received them (to be clear, I was not billed for them either). Has anybody else had any experience with MacGregor?
  7. J

Front Brake Hose Sizes

Are the front brake hose sizes the same for all SI-SV Alpines? I noticed that in Rick's catalog they all share the same P/N but on Ebay the hoses are advertised by model type giving the impression they are different.
  8. J

Ballast Resistor

Does anybody know of an available substitute for the 1.5 ohm coil ballast resistor? Rick's catalog indicates they are NLA. Thanks.
  9. J

Runs Rough When Cold

On a cold start I have to nurse the accelerator for 2-3 minutes until the engine warms up to prevent it from dying – even with the engine fully choked. The engine was recently rebuilt and runs great once it is warmed up. I’m running a Weber carb and have tried re-jetting the main idle jet...
  10. J

PCV Setup W/Pierce Manifold

Can anybody tell me the proper way to install a PCV valve/PCV system on a SV engine with a Pierce manifold/Weber setup?
  11. J

PCV Setup W/Pierce Manifold

What is the best way to setup the PCV valve when using a Weber carb and a Pierce manifold? At present, my PCV valve is attached to a hose horizontally and in-line. This means that there is no gravitational pull on the PCV ball and that strikes me as being wrong. However, since the manifold port...
  12. J

Diff Bearing Shim

I was preparing to install this replacement differential in my SII when I noticed that what appears to be a mis-centered bearing shim. This is the bearing that fits into the front of the diff housing. Is this normal or is it a concern? Photo attached. Thanks.
  13. J

Rear Axle Removal Question

Do the brake backing plates have to be removed in order to remove the rear axles?
  14. J

Comfortable Cruising Speed

Out of curiosity, what is generally considered to be a "comfortable" cruising speed for O/D and non-O/D Alpines? I'm comfortable at 55-60MPH with the O/D on (3.89 diff) and the tach sitting around 3000 RPM.
  15. J

SII Leaf Spring Rear Bushing Dim.'s

Does anybody happen to know the dimensions of the rear leaf spring bushing used on the SII? I see where SS does not carry them and I am looking for an alternate source. Thanks.
  16. J

caliper direction

When installing disc brake calipers does the brake line go up or down? I need to distinguish the right caliper from the left and removed my identifying tags!
  17. J

Early Series A-arms

I just replaced my SII front suspension with a SV unit. Is there any reason to save the A-arms since trunions are no longer available and many appear to be converting to the later series suspension?
  18. J

Caliper Mounting Holes

Does anybody know if the distances between the SI-II and SIII-V brake caliper mounting holes are different?
  19. J

SV Brake Caliper Subsitutes

Does anybody know if any brake caliper substitutes are available for SV front brakes. The early 1970's Capri calipers are no longer available. I remember reading somewhere that the TR3 or TR4 calipers are identical to the SV units. Can anybody confirm that? Thanks
  20. J

Coil Spring Install

Any suggestions as to how to install coil springs? I have a cross member assy that is not attached to the car (see photo) in which I am trying to install the springs. I have tried using an internal compressor (from Autozone) - I can get the spring installed and the spindle connected but cannot...