• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. crs

Blast from the past !

I took the car to a nearby safety check station and garage for the annual safety check and on my return home drove through town at a sedate speed (fortunately as I met one police car and a deputy sheriff car). The main street ends in a T and 3 way stop. When it was my turn to go, I began my...
  2. crs

Fast and Furious exhaust note !

Charged the battery and fired up the V6 today and it ran well. If it is sunny again tomorrow, I may take it for a spin. It was cool and the engine was slow to warm and would not drop to an idle, so I gave the pedal a couple of sharp, short pokes and the darn thing rapped up instantly like those...
  3. crs

Met owner of Series 2 Moonstone Alpine !

This car in McKinney, Texas belongs to a neighbor of my son and the garage door was open a couple days ago and I went over and introduced myself. It seems she inherited the car from her father and has recently got it back on the road. I suggested she sign up for this forum for the fun and...
  4. crs

Free 1974 Mustang 8 inch rear end /axle

This will be free for anyone that can pick it up at my house in Carrollton, Texas before next Friday, 9/15/17. Otherwise it goes to a salvage yard. PM me if interested.
  5. crs

Miracle cure for seized rear brakes

Let the car sit for 6 months! This past winter I drove the Alpine only occasionally and one nice January day decided to use it to pick up my grandson from school. It started right up and idled down soon, but would not move when I tried to back up. After a bit of trying it would barely budge...
  6. crs

McKinney, Texas Alpine sighting !

When leaving my son's house in McKinney earlier today, we saw the front of an early Alpine roadster peeking out of a neighbor's garage. It is Moonstone in color and has the horizontal grill bars of the early Alpines. :cool: If anyone know this car, please respond.
  7. crs

V6 Jose - V6 Alpine idle

Hi Jose. Nice day here in Texas, so I fired up the car and while it was warming up, listened to the exhaust note. Very smooth with a little lope and the deep bass, almost guttural rumble, so I recorded a short video for you to hear. Alas, my smart phone mike must not pick up the bass...
  8. crs

Son drove Alpine with mixed results

First, he liked driving a stick without the modern automated sophisticated shifting assist that his track Nissan 370Z has. Since he learned to drive in this car, he still does it well and with a critical eye to how it should perform. The power and such made him smile. :) Second he griped...
  9. crs

V6 left rear exhaust manifold hear trimmed

It worked! Trimming (not grinding) the head of the left rear exhaust manifold bolt that was rubbing the steering gear box has stopped the cold idle knock it was making. This also stopped it from cutting into the gear box wall where it had rubbed a shiny spot and slight depression detectible by...
  10. crs

Another Day, Another Parade

The Old Time Saturday Parade in Farmersville. Interesting, but no surprise that most of the old cars are driven by old folks! My wife is in the Farmersville Historical Society so we had a sign on the doors to promote tours of a 100+ year old house they maintain and display. Perfect fall...
  11. crs

? on Holley 8007 390 CFM carb PCV intake

The PCV hose connects to a vacuum inlet at the bottom of the rear of the passenger side of the carb. The vacuum draws crankcase fumes from the rocker arm cover into the carb to be mixed in with the fuel/air going into the intake manifold. My question is: After entering the carb base...
  12. crs

Bye Bye Rootes Review

I just put two decades of the Rootes Review, news letter of the Tigers East/Alpines East Club, into the recycles bin. After skimming over them all, there was nothing of value to me now that my Series IV is a V6 with a different driveline. There were lots of old memories dating back to when...
  13. crs

Dallas British Car Show this May 3 !

Here is a link to the show information: http://www.kipmotor.com/abcd.htm I have already pre registered my V6 Alpine.
  14. crs

2015 British Car Show - Sunday May 3, 2015

All, Below is a link to the show information. I plan to drive my V6 Alpine SIV to the show. Anyone else planning to bring a car? http://www.kipmotor.com/abcd.htm
  15. crs

R&R choke plate on 390CFM Holley 0-8007

How to perform this function: R&R choke plate on 390CFM Holley- part number 0-8007 Background: During the early testing of my V6, there were a few instances when there was a back fire through the carburetor. On one occasion it was so violent that the choke plate stuck and would not move...
  16. crs

Happy 50th birthday to our Alpine!

My wife bought this Series IV in 1965, so it is officially 50 years old. It has been in the family that entire time, has been three different colors, and the V6 is the third engine to power it. It is still fun to drive, especially on a spring day here in Dallas.
  17. crs

Get used to colder winters!

I just finished the book Dark Winter by Casey wherein he summarizes how the sun has recently entered a "solar minimum" and the reduced energy output from the sun will result in slightly lower average temperatures around the globe with some not so pleasant side effects for life on earth. The...
  18. crs

Red Sunbeam in 2014 TV Movie - Barefoot

Do not know if it was an Alpine, but it was in a collector's garage. I did not watch much of the movie, as the car was the highlight for me. Has anyone else seen this?
  19. crs

I thought it was a Tiger !

When I rolled into the auto parts parking lot this afternoon, one of the two men standing by a pickup nearby was surprised to read the Alpine script on my V6 SIV. He said from the sound, he was sure it was a Sunbeam Tiger and that he really like the exhaust note. Made my day - :)
  20. crs

Evening country tour

The wife and I took the V6 Alpine for a 30 mile run on the farm to market roads north of Farmersville Saturday after supper. All the fields are still green from the spring and early summer rains and it was a fun tour. The V6 was a little grumpy at first, but after a few miles, it ran like a top...