• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. M

slave cylinder - series 5

Can anyone confirm that the slave cylinder bore is one inch? I just finished putting in a Toyota 5 speed in my series 5 Alpine and have the slave cylinder rod adjusted to the maximum, but need a little more throw. The clutch releases when the pedal is barely off the floor and it grinds when...
  2. M

3.70 rear end

I know there are some Alpine owners that have the 3.70 ratio differential from the company in Holland. There have been some threads where you have written about the whine in the gears. I have the same problem. I had the guy locally that built the diff for me go through it again and everything is...
  3. M

gas float bangs against tank

I have SV and when the tank is full until about half full the float bangs against the tank, especially when turning. Is it simply a matter of bending the arm of the float more towards the middle of the tank? Not a major problem but annoying. Murray
  4. M

mixture too lean

What would keep me from getting more fuel to my Strombergs? My plugs are too white, not tan or black, and my wide band oxygen sensor seems to agree with numbers from the mid 15's to sometimes 17 with the afr. As I turn the knob on the bottom of the carbs to increase the richness a little at a...
  5. M

6 blade cooling fan

has anyone put a 6 bladed fan on their engine? If so, did it help with the cooling? Are there any negatives? When I am in traffic my water temp goes up, even if it is cool outside. It doesn't get real hot, but I have the fan and will put it on if it will help. I got the fan off of E-bay and...
  6. M

cam timing marks

Just put a Delta KB grind cam in my series 5 and had to replace the smaller crank sprocket. The old one had a broken tooth from the previous owner rebuild, which was awhile ago. We can't get the 2 timing marks (dimples?) to line up at TDC. It seems to be about half a tooth off no matter what we...
  7. M

roller rocker valve adjustment

I have a series 5 that I am putting roller rockers on this week. Would that effect the stock valve adjustment? There seems to be a difference of opinion among my learned friends. I also just put in the KB grind cam from Delta. Thanks, Murray
  8. M

rocker shaft

Does anyone have a new or almost new rocker shaft? I am putting roller rockers on my 1725 motor and have a lot of wear on my rocker shaft. One of the existing rockers has some wobble and the shaft is the cause. Neither SS, Classic nor VB have the rocker shafts. I think they are available in...
  9. M

valve spring question

I have an extra head that came with my car when I bought it 5 months ago. I decided to have it pressure checked, ported and polished, which has been done. The valve springs I bought as part of a valve package are too high. The Isky valve springs for the Alpine are the same height. My machinist...
  10. M

valve springs

I know some people have used Isky 625/626 valve springs. They say to remove the bottom shim and retainer to get the 1.710 installed height. My machinist says that is not a good idea on an aluminum head, that it will gall into the head. The normal sources don't sell valve springs. Any opinions on...
  11. M

2 questions

Does the series 5 have a spot for a spare tire holder? I don't see a threaded receptacle for a bolt in the back of the trunk in the center of the spare where it sits. Also, what tire pressures are you running? Thanks, Murray
  12. M

valves and guides

I am building up a spare series 5 head to get a little more torque, not anything crazy. Is there a good source for valves, guides, etc? SS is out of exhaust valves and don't know when they will be in. Any other sources? Thanks, Murray
  13. M

A arm bolts

There was a thread not long ago about checking the A arm bolts for possible problems. Which bolts were in question? The bolts that screw into the cradle? I checked a couple of the cradle bolts and they seemed okay. Just wondering. Murray
  14. M

Rootes Post vintage spares

HI: I have been trying to order parts from Rootes Parts in Holland for about 10 days. They don't respond to emails or orders. Does anyone know if they close down for the month of August? There is nothing on their website. Thanks, Murray
  15. M

steering box

I need to replace the ball bearings in the steering box and would like to know if it is possible to do with the box in the car. I don't have any leaks so the o rings or seals must be okay. I am getting a grinding type noise, more like a rumble, when the steering wheel is turned either left or...
  16. M

front end alignment

I have seen it in this forum that 300 lbs should be in the car when doing an alignment, but can't seem to find that in the WSM. Just finished putting upper and lower ball joints on my series 5 Alpine along with new tie rod ends and shocks. Tomorrow is front end alignment day (again). What specs...
  17. M

rear toe alignment

As a byproduct of the alignment on my series 5 Alpine, the specs for the rear wheels is given. It shows that one rear wheel has some toe in and the other has some toe out. What causes this and how do I fix it? Thanks, Murray
  18. M

Fog light switch

I am adding fog lights to my series 5 Alpine and don't know where the fog light switch would normally go. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Murray
  19. M

Height of aluminum head

Does anyone know the minimum height of a series 5 head? When I got my car 2 months ago there was an extra head in the car (aluminum, not human). I took it to my machinist and he cleaned and pressure checked the head, but the head will have to be decked (I think that is the right term). He wanted...
  20. M

Chicago area Alpines

I was wondering if there are many Chicago area Alpine owners. It would be fun to get some northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin and northern Indiana cars together. Just a thought. Murray