• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. D

289 ==> 302 HO Engine Swap Pointers?

I'm considering swapping in a 302 HO (roller cam) engine for my current 289. The 289 broke some pushrods several weeks ago and will need to come out for repairs. A friend has offered me a free 302 HO engine, which has some advantages over the 289. I've heard a 289 to 302 swap is not...
  2. D

Broken Pushrods ==> failure analysis and repair options

I recently broke a couple of pushrods on my Sunbeam Alpine V8. The engine is a 6-bolt 289 with Hi-Po heads that was rebuilt less than 10k miles ago. This post is intended to (1) warn others about the failure mode and (2) seek repair advice. Failure Analysis: Upon disassembly, I noted...
  3. D

Radiator Bypass Hose

At some point the radiator bypass hose on my V8 Alpine was disconnected. The big Tiger cooling article indicates that eliminating the radiator bypass hose increases coolant temperature at idle. The article seemed to postulate that the increased water flow through the radiator resulted in...
  4. D

Power Master Motorsports High Output Alternators

M V8 Alpine currently has a stock alternator with a separate voltage regulator mounted in the passenger foot well. I will likely be installing some electrical accessories in the near future: pusher fan, driving lights, accessory sockets for heated motorcycle vests, etc. Given the above...
  5. D

Solid-State Replacement for Lucas FL51242 Turn-Signal Relay

I spent my Sunday digging through my wiring harness, labeling wires and fixing connections as necessary. The Lucas FL51242 electro-mechanical turn-signal relay is looking very crusty. Is there a solid state replacement?
  6. D

Wing Tanks + Fuel Cell Plumbing

I'm considering installing a fuel cell in my V8 Alpine, so this afternoon I removed all of the fiberboard panels in the trunk to see how the stock setup is configured. I would like to retain the stock wing tanks and mount the fuel cell between the frame rails. If anybody has done this, how...
  7. D

Sealing Radiator Shroud: Foam?

I'm trying to seal up the gaps between my radiator shroud and my radiator for better cooling. The radiator is a non-stock aluminum radiator. The big cooling article I read recommended sealing gaps with foam. What kind of foam are folks using for this? I'm not sure if the typical stuff at...
  8. D

Substituting Electric Fan for Engine Mounted Fan

My apologies if this has been brought up before, but the search feature on this forum won't let me search for just "electric fan". Has anyone substituted a thermostat controlled electric fan for the engine mounted fan? This would likely offer better cooling when stopped, and there would be...
  9. D

George Fallehy Alger: New Owner

Just a quick post that I am the new owner of the Alger that George Fallehy built back in the day. This is the car that is referenced in the second paragraph of the Book of Norm. Amongst the receipts and other papers, there is a registration certificate with George's name, which is kind of...
  10. D

Car Cover Recommendations

Any recommendations for a waterproof car cover for an Alpine or Tiger? In particular, does anyone make a cover that is specifically designed for an Alpine/Tiger? Or alternatively, is there a "generic" cover that is well suited to the task?