• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. D

Darksider for Sale

There are a small number of folks posting on BaT who rely on the site to feed their over-size egos. After awhile, you figure out who those folk are and ignore their comments. The guys who run BaT are actually pretty cool.
  2. D

289 ==> 302 HO Engine Swap Pointers?

That would be extremely helpful.
  3. D

Thanks. That's a fairly extreme build, so I'm not sure what might or might not translate to a relatively stock 302 GT40 engine.
  4. D

Found this article with additional surfing: http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/CurtisFisherCrate/pt-CurtisFisherCrate1.asp Haven't read it yet.
  5. D

The current 289 is a 6 bolt. What clutch arm should be used with a 302? Now that you mention that, I recall reading the same thing somewhere. I think the reason was that the 302 water pump outlet is in a different position that is not ideal for routing a hose to the radiator?
  6. D

I'm considering swapping in a 302 HO (roller cam) engine for my current 289. The 289 broke some pushrods several weeks ago and will need to come out for repairs. A friend has offered me a free 302 HO engine, which has some advantages over the 289. I've heard a 289 to 302 swap is not...
  7. D

Broken Pushrods ==> failure analysis and repair options

Agreed, the failure probably would have been much less likely to have occurred if the Hi-Po head pushrod guide slots (and maybe the rocker arm tips) were not worn. Pushrod guides are cheap insurance against this sort of failure though, and the rocker arm upgrades are surprisingly inexpensive...
  8. D

All lifters were found to be in good condition upon disassembly. Read the article from the link in my original post and note my comment about the worn pushrod guide slots on the affected valves. I've talked to several folks who are very familiar with the 289's, and they basically said mine...
  9. D

Thanks for all of the helpful comments. My car is a converted Alpine, but the conversion was done by grafting parts from a crashed Tiger, so mechanically the car is the same as an original Tiger. The lifters are hydraulic, not solid. The cam is a flat tappet cam, not a roller cam. My...
  10. D

All of the cam followers are in primo condition with shiny follower surfaces and no noticeable wear. So I don't think the failure was due to a cam problem. I recently chatted with a local Tiger expert who recently had a major cam follower failure (flat tappet cam), and I've seen a few...
  11. D

I recently broke a couple of pushrods on my Sunbeam Alpine V8. The engine is a 6-bolt 289 with Hi-Po heads that was rebuilt less than 10k miles ago. This post is intended to (1) warn others about the failure mode and (2) seek repair advice. Failure Analysis: Upon disassembly, I noted...
  12. D

Radiator Bypass Hose

At some point the radiator bypass hose on my V8 Alpine was disconnected. The big Tiger cooling article indicates that eliminating the radiator bypass hose increases coolant temperature at idle. The article seemed to postulate that the increased water flow through the radiator resulted in...
  13. D

Fuel Injected Tiger

I tried to call late afternoon, but they seemed to be closed. I'm going overseas tomorrow for a week or so. Hopefully I can reach them in the morning.
  14. D

Remote Oil Filter

Thanks for the part numbers! I surfed around and found an article that indicated that in addition to the Ford 90-degree adapter, it was necessary to have two of the F1AZ6890 M/F block adapters. Can anyone confirm this?
  15. D

Remote Oil Filter

Can you provide a source and part number for the shorty filter and threaded rod? My V8 Alpine has a remote filter located in the left front wheel well, and I would just as soon eliminate this setup if possible. Same question as above - - - can you steer us in the direction to these parts?
  16. D

Substituting Electric Fan for Engine Mounted Fan

Thanks for posting that part number. Hopefully it's the right one. A lot of the articles say to use a fan with that diameter, but other than your post, I haven't found a reference to a particular vendor and part number.
  17. D

Power Master Motorsports High Output Alternators

M V8 Alpine currently has a stock alternator with a separate voltage regulator mounted in the passenger foot well. I will likely be installing some electrical accessories in the near future: pusher fan, driving lights, accessory sockets for heated motorcycle vests, etc. Given the above...
  18. D

Solid-State Replacement for Lucas FL51242 Turn-Signal Relay

I spent my Sunday digging through my wiring harness, labeling wires and fixing connections as necessary. The Lucas FL51242 electro-mechanical turn-signal relay is looking very crusty. Is there a solid state replacement?
  19. D

Wing Tanks + Fuel Cell Plumbing

Correct punctuation added. :) This is essentially the same thing as installing a fuel cell tied into the saddle tanks.