• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. GlennB

HLM on Marketplace

It seems this HLM on FB Marketplace has a Sunbeam Rapier SII VIN - anyone know anything about it? Located in Santa Maria CA https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2073781916306307
  2. GlennB

Bob Brissenden - in memoriam

Sad to report the passing of Bob Brissenden yesterday at the age of 85 in Valencia, Spain. He retired there from Kent in the UK with his wife Rita at the end of the 1990's. He owned the HLM 177RNK which he restored "his way - like Frank Sinatra" as he used to say, purchasing it around 1990...
  3. GlennB

536CNW at the Silverstone FISCAR Bentley Drivers Club meet Aug 2023

Just a quick snippet to show you all what normal British weather looks like from a driver perspective. The cornering may look painfully slow but water, oil and historic Dunlops mean one had to pussy-foot your way round. Rain is a great leveller, classified 19th out of 24 including some genuine...
  4. GlennB

'New' Harrington Series C

Today I met Nick Button, the owner of Mick Jaggard's Series C B9119025 462PBJ, at the British Motor Museum Rootes Heritage Day. This car was on the stand at the Birmingham NEC Restoration Show pre-Covid., so around 2018? Nick had spoken to Jan Iggbom but Jan had never entered any details in the...
  5. GlennB

Fitting a new rear screen rubber seal

For info I have just replaced the rubber seal on my HLM. I bought 3m of seal and chrome finisher from Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224831827131 - I also bought a spreader tool: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122535510962 - but this needed to be squeezed to the right width and also opened a bit...
  6. GlennB

536CNW on the track this weekend at Thruxton UK

FYI my HLM will be on the track in the FISCAR event this Saturday at Thruxton. TX is the fastest circuit in the UK so I'll have to push the revs. FISCAR have strict regs and I'm using the 1600. Chris Draycott sat in it last weekend at Curborough and felt that it was on the money. I matched a...
  7. GlennB

UK SAOC Track Day and Sunbeam Challenge 2023

The SAOC put on a Track Day at the Curborough Sprint course on Saturday 3rd June. It was organised by Grant Wilson who owns the ex-Mike Broome Hillclimb car. There were 4 Tigers and 9 Alpines with the fastest Alpine being Stephen Chapman's Harrington racer 410JTT but only just pipped into 2nd...
  8. GlennB

Wythall Transport Museum Harrington Gathering 21st May 2023

We managed 5 Harringtons at the gathering - courtesy of Justin Harrington, Andy Goldsmith, Derek Hewitson, Andrew Yates and myself. Clive Harrington and Clive Pocock both failed to fix clutch problems and Oliver Bridgeman was tied up on business. Otherwise we could have beaten the USA SUNI...
  9. GlennB

Where is this car?

I'm tidying the Harrington archive that was recovered from Jan's laptop and there is an article published in 1995 in Classic and Sportscar featuring the Harrington with the reg LJT39 but can't find any reference to it in the Registry. Does anyone know this car? The article is called "Brighton...
  10. GlennB

HLM B9112210 LRX and B9110174 HRO - the same car

I thought I would clarify the story behind the HLM B9112210 LRX which was/is a metallic blue race car in the USA and Asia in the 1980’s and 1990’s that is now for sale in Europe with the VIN/Chassis number B91101740 HRO. The documentation with the sale is well worth inspecting as it confirms the...
  11. GlennB

Harrington Gathering UK May 21st 2023

To all Harrington owners, there will be a Harrington Gathering next year. This will include all Harrington buses and cars. Visitors from the US will be welcome. Let's see how many cars we can get together! GlennB...
  12. GlennB

A lap of the short National Silverstone circuit in the Le Mans yesterday.

Taken during the FISCAR race at the BDC (Bentley) Drivers Club) Silverstone meet in Aug 2022 in the Harrington Le Mans. Shows a reasonably clean lap. Was changing up at 6KRPM (78 MPH for me in 3rd with the Historic Dunlops), to max speed of approx 95 MPH at 5.25KRPM, av speed 62 MPH. The two AC...
  13. GlennB

New Sunbeam Harrington Website and Registry

This is to let everyone know that the new Sunbeam Harrington website is live. You can find it at http://www.sunbeamharrington.org The new site is necessary because we have not been able to take ownership of the domain name belonging to Jan Iggbom and therefore the old site will most likely go...
  14. GlennB

New Harrington Website

Hi all, As a result of the passing of Jan Iggbom the maintenance of the old Harrington website has presented some minor difficulties. The current Subdreamer web package requires a degree of training and experience which we don't currently have, and we want to make it super-easy for anyone to...
  15. GlennB

Jan Iggbom - from a note on Facebook

=AZUBtw6LI0nFsx4suMTLKLRUYDHPm1wPguUzoyZ0FDqUZ1hlVwuTdrgQ9X4pFzMrjGAm4X4VqF3WNEHmePvddsBmfUlACdQRdOQ1Bg3Fsn-PLp-gElzxiK3xHV_udtVuFTKbDl7UEkRyWq1N1ereWqyxCyFZ41dfRZ5w-YWVSkmVXQ&__tn__=-UC%2CP-R']Jan Iggbom Hello to all friends of Jan! Jan's daughter...
  16. GlennB

A little snippet from Silverstone today

I swapped the race 1600 back into the HLM for the FISCAR race today and managed to gain 4 secs a lap over last year and also beat a 2 litre Morgan +4 and a Jowett. My dashcam malfunctioned but an SAOC pal took this clip. Set the volume to max as the car sounds great. (67) Harrington Le Mans at...
  17. GlennB

Starting a new race engine with DCOE40's from a point of ignorance

I am transferring this conversation from the SAOC Motorsport FB group as I think it will be useful to others and be properly archived here. History: in 2009 I acquired the car in rallying setup with a nicely running but tired 1600 with the Weber DCOE40's. Lack of garage, tools and physical...
  18. GlennB

Some track action from the UK

Thought you might like a dash cam view of some track action in the UK. This is the first outing after the Covid lockdown during which I swapped the engine just because I wanted to see if my own engine rebuild was any good (nothing wrong with the old engine), plus a re-engineered lowered rear...
  19. GlennB

For Jerry and Steve who missed out on Prescott 2020

This was going to be a special time with guests from the USA visiting Europe and experiencing the 2020 Prescott hillclimb, Beaulieu autojumble and other things. This is the full video (not HD, sorry) of the Prescott hill from last year, 2019, just so you can see what we missed...
  20. GlennB

Getting back on the track

To Jerry, Steve and my other US friends, I have finally managed to get my HLM back on the track after a gap of 5 years. In that time I blew up the engine and got made redundant so there have been a few challenges along the way. One challenge has been the technical preparation according to the...