• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. M

Ford 2.8 V6 piston rings?

Building the, 2.8 V6. Engine bores will clean at; .020". Found the correct, Silvolite 1.535 compression hight pistons (Summit Racing). Now for piston rings. Hastings lists, Chrome or cast iron rings. Chrome rings seem to take some time to seat. Cast iron seats quickly. Not sure if...
  2. M

2.8 Ford V6 engine parts sources

2.8 engine in machine shop for build. Questions on sources of internal engine parts. Pistons; Where to find the desired 1.535 compression hgt. pistons? The pistons I am finding have, 1.511 compression hgt. Probably need, 020" over, 93.5mm diameter. Rod bolts, heavy duty? And many other...
  3. M

Ford T5 internal clutch release bearing options

Might have been covered. To the point of looking at hydraulic clutch linkage for V6 and T5 transmission. Has any0ne installed the internal (concentric) release bearing kits? If so, what kit and where to buy? Issues or warnings about various kits or sources? Noticed the Speedway Motors kit...
  4. M

2.8 Ford V6, "Vee" belt widths

Measuring for Alernator and AC compressor belts. Noticed that the Ford Ranger and Mustang 2. Belt width of , 13/32 inch 10mm belt fits well in the crankshaft and water pump pulley. Top slightly proud of pulley. 1/2 inch 12.5/13mm belt rides above pulley. Does not fit into pulley. The...
  5. M

Need Ford Ranger 2.8 V6 rear thermostat housing or three groove water pump pulley

Using the Ford 2.8 V6 from the eighties Ford Ranger. Need the rear thermostat bypass housing that bolts to the back of the timing cover. The Ranger thermostat housings have a different bolt pattern than the Ford Capri, Mustang 2 and Pinto of the seventies. The eighties 2.8 V6, in my case...
  6. M

What distributor with 2.8 V6

Need a distributor for the V6 conversion. Engine came with breaker points. Electronic ignition would be nice to have. Noticed that the, 1975 and 1976 distributors use the small cap single vacuum (Ec-1? electronic control first generation). 1977 (Ec-2) and later has the two piece cap. Choice...
  7. M

2.8 ford V6 heads, drilling cooling passages

Just recieved Ford 2.8 V6 heads from machine shop recommended on site in Southern California. Had, larger valves, exhaust seats, springs, porting, and lower exhaust ports plugged. As per readings, had the fire face of the head drilled for steam ports? According the. "book" drill, 5/16 inch...
  8. M

Throttle body fuel injection that matches intake?

Interesting link, Holley Sniper throttle body fuel injection. What is even more interesting is, the Jeep throttle body appears to have the bolt pattern as the early Weber carburetor cars. At least that is what I am finding so far. Perhaps use the orginal Ford aluminum intake manifold (with...
  9. M

V6 2.8 clutch cylinders?

Finding more parts. Looking at clutch hydraulic pull cylinders that mount on the engine/bellhousing. Two choices? Speedway pull or Willwood. What is the preferred cylinder? The Willwood appears to have a longer stroke? Is a return spring needed on the clutch, bell housing arm? Master...
  10. M

Ford 2.8 engine build questions

TIme to build the; 2.8 V6 engine. Have the Mustang 2 engine and later, 2.8 Ranger engine. Plan is to use the Ranger block with Mustang 2 front cover and pulleys. Questions; Pistons, Cast pistons are available from Summit, Jegs and? With the preferred compression height (reading posts) of...
  11. M

Alpine aluminum radiators

Not sure if this has been covered before. Aluminum radiators for the, V6 swap. Does anyone have any experience with, E Bay aluminum radiators listed for the Alpine, or any other source for aftermarket radiators that work or do not work? Wizard is out there but some what expensive? Have no...
  12. M

2.8 ford V6 heads, drilling cooling passages

Heads are at Machine shop for porting, larger valves, valve work (shop recommended by other posts). Question on drilling coolant passages through head fire face into water jackets. Information in, "Pruett" book is still correct? Use head gasket as pattern, in my case, Felpro head gaskets...
  13. M

V6 Cologne information

Working on the Ford V6. Several questions; Is there a small starter motor available? With the built in solenoid, "super starter" for the V6? need room on my build and special mounts. Measuring for, "pilot bearing/bushing adapter" , measure length of input shaft from front of transmission...
  14. M

2.8 heads and block milling and decking

Constantly reading on the site about building the 2.8 V6. I have two complete engines, heads are ready to be sent out for larger vales and porting. Questions; Head milling, numerous post on milling heads, .030 inch to increase compression. Also posts on decking block for less clearance...
  15. M

2.8 V6 questions again

I have the Mustang 11 complete engine and the Ford Ranger complete engine. Is there a difference in the engine front covers? I noticed a different water pump number, pulleys appear the same. Cylinder heads, since the Ranger heads checked good, is there a difference between the Ranger heads...
  16. M

Header bolts

Looking for header bolts for the 2.8 V6. All I can find are the Stage 8 locking bolts in 10mm X 1.50. Summit has them, any other bolts available for headers? A recommendation on header gaskets also? Thank you, Steve V.
  17. M

V6 Cylinder head review

I know this has been covered numerous times. Cylinder heads; I am starting to collect parts for my 2.8 build. Install Ford 2.9 valves or? What about installed heights for the high lift Jose cam, what springs and retainers? Mill the heads .030 to increase compression 1/2 point? Should I...
  18. M

2.8 Aluminum valve covers

Some time ago, there was a group buy on aluminum 2.8 V6, valve covers (rocker covers) from Ireland. Curious, how was crankcase ventilation achieved? There is only one fill outlet/inlet, no provision that I can see for second vent or PCV valve. Perhaps buy two covers both with the same...
  19. M

T5 Tans. and drive shaft

Found the correct T5 for the 2.8 V6, 5 speed conversion in El Paso. Looked for some time, paid; $295. Had a friend pick it up, decided I should buy the drive shaft also for the front yoke, sight unseen. The front drive shaft yoke has some type of vibration damper. I don't think it is needed...
  20. M

Engine buiding again

I now have the Mustang 2 bellhousing, Ford T5 trans. For parts, 1984 Bronco 2 with 2.8. Engine is out, this afternoon hope to have the heads off. Questions; Do the rods and crank need to be shot peened? Pistons, find the "Sealed Power" pistons, no need for the after...