• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Jim in PA

'66 Alpine parts to sell

I have several parts left over from my Alpine I sold a few years ago. I'd like to see them go to a good home. Lets talk about what you want and offers.
  2. Jim in PA

Too cute!

It was such a nice day today I drove my Alpine, Rusty, out to get a sandwich at lunchtime. I pulled along-side an SUV in the parking lot. In the rear driverside window was the cutest little girl, all of 4 years old. "That sure is a cool car you have" she said. "Thank you very much" I replied...
  3. Jim in PA

Clutch, trans, prop shaft and rear

The project for this winter for my SV is new clutch cover, friction disc, release bearing w/ clips, pilot bushing and recondition the flywheel. U joints, rebuild trans...seals, synchros, bearings, gaskets and mounts. Rebuild rear diff, axle bearings w/ seals. What am I forgetting? What...
  4. Jim in PA

Strom 150CD

Hello again folks. I forgot to bring my 150 CD rebuild kit with me on Vacation. There's a marine supply place near here in North Carolina that has a wide assortment of O rings. I intended to match up the O rings from the carb kits I bought from Rick at SS. I have two kits for the gaskets but I'd...
  5. Jim in PA

Early SV clutch replacement

I am planning to replace the clutch in my early SV Alpine...non synchro 1st gear. I've looked but can't readily find all pieces, clutch cover, friction disc, release bearing etc and be sure I have the correct items, especially the stuff on sale on eBay. I have searched this site and still...
  6. Jim in PA

Sunbeam Logo file

I have recently installed an early Mazda RX7 steering wheel in my '66 SV. It looks and works great but I would like to make a Sunbeam logo to go into the center of the Mazda horn button...just for kicks. Does anyone have a digital file of the Sunbeam lion logo that is at least 300 dpi? It's...
  7. Jim in PA

SV steering wheel and hub (boss)

I've searched a bit on this forum and have not found what I need. Maybe this thread should be in Modified Alpine forum? Forgive me... I have a '66 SV with a very degraded steering wheel rim and hub. The rim has several cracks with wide separations and a 1/4" crack on the hub at 1 o'clock...
  8. Jim in PA

More do's don'ts pro's con's-Fuel

This weekend I hope to be able to adjust valves, sync carbs, set fuel jets, install Pertronix and set timing before doing the Colortune. That's the plan but I may have my plans dashed again... My question is regarding fuel. From what I've read here, I should run pure gasoline...no alcohol...
  9. Jim in PA

Pros cons or do's and don'ts

Hello again all. I bought a spare oil filter mount a while back to have an extra oil pressure relief valve and to have an item in my hand to be able to have new oil cooler hoses made and match the fittings... A couple of days ago I dropped the OPR valve off at a local machine shop to have...
  10. Jim in PA

'66 SV radio

Hello again all. I would like to put out feelers for a Rootes radio surround/ enclosure for my '66 SV Alpine. I see them once in a great while on US and UK eBay but it's been some time. Condition is not an issue at this point. I am not picky any more. I missed a couple of auctions...
  11. Jim in PA

Lucas 576 driving/ fog lamps

I've been searching for a good set of Lucas 576 driving or fog lamps. I would want post mount to go on a bracket on my front bumper. Lens type is not important nor is lens color. Amber would be cool but not necessary. Hit me with a PM if you have a pair to sell. I messed up last weekend on...
  12. Jim in PA

Alpine SV luggage rack

I hate to ask silly questions here but... I would like to add a luggage rack to the boot lid of my Alpine. The boot lid is not in the best of shape to begin with but it'll do until body restorations begin next year or the year after. I see VB has a luggage rack but they list the on-center...
  13. Jim in PA

Head lamp gasket replacement

I seek opinions... I have new headlamp rubber gaskets from SS to install on my 66 SV. The gaskets are between the headlamp buckets and the fender (wing) and are held in with pop-rivets. The question is...do I replace the pop-rivets with squash nuts (threadserts) and use screws to hold the...
  14. Jim in PA

Rear axle seals

Once again I need advice... Now that the '66 SV is back on the road and running well enough for now I've noticed a small leak of rear axle lube. I get a drop of axle lube on the back of the right brake backing plate at the point where the backing plate and the rear axle housing meet. This...
  15. Jim in PA

Tonneau studs on the SV dash vents

Hello again all. I seek advice on my new Tonneau cover to be installed soon. The Tonneau cover requires two Lift-The-Dot studs on each of the two demister vents at the windscreen. Since the trim shop guys are being paid hourly I thought I would install the four lift the dot studs myself to...
  16. Jim in PA

Getting ready for this season

Since Christmas I've had the fuel tanks boiled out, relined with the red stuff and repainted. I have all new hoses and gaskets too. Blew out the fule line between the tank crossover tube and fuel pump. (Nice and clean now) The radiator is now 3 rows. New hoses, belt, heater valve, gasket and...
  17. Jim in PA

Soft top boot and tonneau cover

Hello all. I am nearly ready to send the SV out to have new carpets, misc. interior panels, soft top boot and tonneau cover installed. (The seats are rewelded, repainted, refoamed and recovered) I'll still need to finish installing the Fatmat sound deadener before the interior is installed...
  18. Jim in PA

Rear Anti-roll bar

I'm sure someone knows... If I were to add an anti-roll bar to the rear of my Alpine, do I mark, drill and set it up with the rear suspension loaded and on it's wheels or with the suspension unloaded and the frame of the car on the jack stands. I seem to remember, from a similar...
  19. Jim in PA

Stuck spark plug

Once again I need feedback... All feedback on other subjects has been very helpful and I hope y'alls can help me again. I had recently asked the forum about vapor lock or ignition issues and had a great deal of helpful feedback so I decided to go ahead with tune-up along with installing the...
  20. Jim in PA

66 SV Fuel system

OK all you Guru's. I'm seeking your good advice again... Recently I experienced what I believed to be Vapor Lock. It's been hot here in southeastern Pennsylvania these past few weeks. I drove 20 mi. or so and parked for 1 hr. and it was 93F. Tried to start up again and only cranked without...