• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. sunny67

Carb advice needed

I have a 67 Alpine that’s pretty much stock for everything but the motor. The PO installed a later model 1.7 Sunbeam motor with a single carb (yep, it’s a dog). The carb has a choke or cold start attachment. See photo. Gasoline will leak out the choke when I turn on the electric fuel pump. When...
  2. sunny67

Dashboard switch installation

Is there a special tool or technique to tightening the slotted nuts on the dashboard switches? Every time I try a flat blade screwdriver, it slips out of the slot and scratches the dash. I just finished restoring the dash and I’m afraid to install the switches.
  3. sunny67

Heater/vent question

Does anyone have pictures of their under dash heater and vent installation? The PO removed everything and blocked the holes. I’m trying to reinstall. I believe I know where all the components in the picture go but conformation pictures would help. I particularly need to know where all the...
  4. sunny67

Dash rebuild question

My S5 came with an ugly dash. The PO no longer had the original but I was able to source 2 fully gauged dashes. I’m trying my hand at laminating walnut to one. Between the two dashes, I believe I have a complete set of working gauges and 3 out of 4 switches. The panel switch will need to be...
  5. sunny67

Center wheel cap

Does anyone have an idea where I can get center wheel caps for these wheels. I can’t find any caps this small.
  6. sunny67

Emblem and letter locations

I purchased an 67 Alpine that had all the emblems and letters removed from the body and all hole filled and painted over. I have a complete set of new letters and emblems that I would like to install. I just need to know where to put them. Does anyone know where I can get templates of hole...
  7. sunny67

Steering box oil question

How do I check the oil level in the steering box and what type/weight oil or grease should be used. I’ve tried various searches on this forum with not luck.
  8. sunny67

Starter question

I have a very tired ‘67 Alpine that runs about 100 lbs of compression per cylinder. As a result, it’s very hard to start. What makes it harder is the starter disengages and spins freely as soon as the engine pops but the engines still needs more help from the starter before running on its own. I...
  9. sunny67

Unexpected find on 67 Alpine

I had a strong gas odor in the trunk and felt gas under one of the hoses on the transfer tube. After I removed everything I found these imperfections on the outside tubes. There’s a welded patch on the drivers side and a round dent from a punch on the other. They seemed to be located in the...
  10. sunny67

Bleeding caliper question

I’ve bleed many brakes in my time but not calipers with apposing pistons with a bleeder only on one side. Is there any trick to get the air out of the outer cylinder?
  11. sunny67

Another clutch question

I’ve seen some post similar to my issue but not seen a resolution. I’ll apologize in advance if I missed an answer. My clutch engages at the extreme end of its travel, to the point where my knee is near the steering wheel (I’m 6’4”). I would guess it engages in the last inch or so of travel...
  12. sunny67

What engine do I have.

I just purchased a 67 Alpine. The sheet metal is in excellent shape but needs mechanical and cosmetic restoration. I restore cars as a hobby but this is my first Sunbeam. I’m sure I will have many questions in the future but there’s one that needs answering before I even start. What engine do I...